The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 2, 2024, 05:23 PM   #1
DaleA

Hammerli .22LR Straight Pull

Hmmm...a new .22LR straight pull rifle on the market with the Hammerli name which I equate to high quality and (unfortunately) high price.

This is an under $700 rifle with the straight pull action using Ruger 10/22 rotary magazines and having swapable barrels so you could convert it to WMR or (maybe) .17 HMR.

Note: according to the video below the straight pull action has been made famous by biathlon shooters.

Note 2: Does Ruger get any money for the MANY rifles using their rotary magazine?

Here's a link to a review of the rifle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hamm...0DV_ErCS4,st:0

So...run out and buy one before they get more expensive or 'eh' another rimfire.
Old May 2, 2024, 06:28 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Hammerli is owned by Umarex now, through their ownership of Walther.
So put that consideration at the top of your quality criteria.

I own a Force B1.
I like it. It is fun, different, and interesting.
I don't have time to run down the whole list of pros and cons, but I can give some big ones and quote myself from a previous discussion:

1. Barrels and magazine adapters are *still* not available and Hammerli will not answer questions about when they will be available.
2. They haven't shipped anything but .22 LR models, even though writers of several of the articles released last month had .22 WMR and .17 HMR test samples.
3. Extra magazine adapters are *still* not available to purchase.
4. Magazine adapters for BX-15, BX-25, and Butler Creek style mags are *still* not available, at all. (The rifles were supposed to ship with one, but are not.)

Quote:
I like it and plan to keep it. I shot it in the last NRL22 match, even though it is currently shooting about 2-3 MoA. (I placed poorly, but not last. )

I will also get a .22 WMR barrel for it when they are available. (Please don't be vaporware...)

However, the long integrated rail on the receiver won't let me mount shorter scopes without using excessively tall rings, like the Athlon Neos that I had set aside for it.

The stock adjuster seems flimsy and questionable. But the material is far better than the tupperware Springfield 2020R stocks. So, maybe it'll hold up. Otherwise, the stock seems fine.

The action was very rough out of the box (and is still moderately rough). Most of the moving parts are MIM and completely unpolished. With some polishing and wear, the bolt and cycling will smooth out a bit. But it will require attention to be satisfactory.

The biggest problem, out of the box, is the trigger. It is heavy, creepy, gritty, and terrible. Because, again, it is nearly all MIM parts that are completely raw. No polishing or machining. Just raw MIM.
Fixing it is not really viable (mine, anyway). The mechanism is overly complicated (~29 parts, not including mag catch/release and spring; and that's with no disconnector in the system), a pain to disassemble, very difficult to reassemble, and the interfacing surfaces on my sear and hammer were jagged and rounded. To machine or stone the faces back into proper shape would remove too much material.

So, I put a Ruger BX trigger in mine and that'll be good enough for now.

The M-lok rail in the fore-end has non-standard spacing because of the screw in the center. So you cannot use a one-piece rail without modification. It must be short sections or a modified rail. Annoying, but not the end of the world (or any issue if you're not mounting rails).

I do like it, plan to keep it, and want to expand its capabilities.
The weight is good, ergos are decent, threaded barrel is nice, and it is fun to run. My brother and nephew want to buy them now. But they do know to expect a rough action and terrible trigger.

Hopefully I didn't harp on too many negatives. I sometimes have a hard time articulating the positives - or things that didn't catch my attention because they're just fine.
It is still only shooting 2-3 MoA and has seen two more matches where it placed poorly (but not last).

Fun squirrel gun.
Don't buy one for precision.
Old May 2, 2024, 06:41 PM   #3
georgehwbush

i'll probably get scolded for this.... never stopped me yet...

i have trouble getting "precision" out of any 22lr. i mean when compared to high powered rifles. yeah maybe MoA. if you look for a load it likes, but with most all the lower end 22lr ammo. 1.5MoA maybe 2MoA probably... is it just me? or should we be shooting 50yds rather than 100yds with 22? especially when we talk about groups ?

but then i don't believe in fliers either.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:39 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I shoot monthly precision rimfire matches, and however many more regional/national level matches I can make (only 3 in the last year).
If you limit yourself to garbage grade ammo, you'll get garbage grade groups.
Even if you want to be like a lot of my competitors and spend $10k-25k on a precision rimfire rifle, you'll get garbage grade groups if you shoot garbage grade ammo.

I shoot factory rifles, or very lightly tuned factory rifles. (Trigger work, 25-40 MoA scope base, minor bedding work, and/or an extra sling swivel stud.)
My son shoots a 10/22 that is slowly evolving into a serious tack driver.

Most factory rifles (and nearly all customs) will improve greatly when fed good ammo. No, we're not talking $40/box Lapua Polar Biathlon, Super Long Range, or Tenex; just good ammo. Eley, SK, Norma, low end Lapua, Wolf Match, CCI Green Tag, etc.
If still unwilling to try those, CCI Standard Velocity is the "budget" ammo of precision rimfire (Fiocchi Range Dynamics being the same thing). If a person wants to try their luck with trans-sonic instability, CCI MiniMags (or Blazer 40 gr RN - same thing without copper wash) is a good 'budget' option.

People act and talk like finding the right load for their .22 rifle is some awful chore that no one can be bothered to do. Yet, nearly everyone does it for their centerfire rifles, unless they're the classic beer can plinker and 20-rounds-per-year deer hunter shooter.

I shoot with many people running "mid-grade" precision rimfire rifles (so, "only" ~$4k or less) that will shoot 1/4" groups at 50 yards with multiple types of ammo. I shoot with people running rifles that will shoot sub-1/4" groups "all day" with that rifle's preferred ammo. It is fantastic to see.
(50 yd is the typical zero for the disciplines I shoot.)

But we can't expect that out of factory rifles with garbage ammo.
What you can expect, and I can usually find in ~30 minutes or less at the range, is for a rifle that's shooting 2-3 MoA (or more) to be able to cut that group size in half if fed better ammo. But, as always, not every rifle likes the same type of ammo. Multiple loads must be tried - and stuff that's not bulk pack garbage.

I have shot multiple 3/4" groups (10 rounds, minimum) at 50 yards with a 1930-ish Stevens 66 with iron sights (Stevens factory "deluxe" rear aperture, and a front sight of my own design), and one 3/8" group (10 rd). But I used Norma TAC-22, not bulk pack Federal or Remington. Feed that rifle any bulk pack, and it is good for about 4 MoA, at best (2"+ @ 50 yd).

My son's new Kidd barrel for his 10/22 was shooting horribly with cheaper options, mainly CCI SV. I was very frustrated - arguably dismayed - at the performance for the cost. I finally fed it some Eley, SK, and Wolf. It is shooting 3/8" (.75 MoA) 10-round groups at 50 yards with Wolf Match Extra. (Yes, that performance holds beyond 50 yd.)
Yes, it is $90 / brick (500).
But when you KNOW that it is going to hit within 3/16 MoA of where the crosshairs are, it is well worth the price over Federal AutoMatch or other bulk garbage and the, "eh, maybe it'll be a 30% chance of hitting the 3-inch target this time...."

Last weekend, I took my son's 10/22 out to a PRS22 match and made first-round hits to 300 yards on targets ranging from mini IPSC to 3/4" (at 143 yd). It did take me two shots to hit the 1/2" target at 143 yd.

If I had been using the Hammerli, it would have been an ugly, ugly match.
If I had been using bulk pack ammo or any rifle with "whatever was cheapest at Walmart", I would have been lucky to get 1 impact per stage. (10-21 impacts possible per stage.)

Give your 22s some love and find out what they like to shoot.
If it costs you $40 /brick instead of $30 / bulk pack, I guarantee you'll find the confidence gained in hitting the target to be well worth it.
"Gonna nail that sucker," and know it will happen, is a lot better than, "I think I can hit it," because you don't know what the ammo is going to do.

As for the Hammerli... Well, I think it is the quick change barrel coupling that is causing it to be a 2-3 MoA rifle. But I haven't had time to test pre-loading the barrel.
I like it. I plan to keep it.
But it isn't a match rifle. (Yet?)
Old May 2, 2024, 11:12 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Short version:
Take the time to find the right ammo, and most factory 22s will perform far better than you think the are capable.
Bulk pack ammo is 100% garbage if you want precision. The packing process, alone, tends to crack the priming compound and increase ES and SD.
But it is also the cheapest thing you can get for a reason. Quality control is not as tight as other types of ammo.

You do it for centerfires. Why not see what your rimfires can actually do?
Old May 3, 2024, 08:22 AM   #6
taylorce1

I agree with FrankenMauser, it's about finding the right ammunition. I've had good luck with Aquila SV, Norma Tac22/match, and CCI SV. However, I'm not shooting any competitions and I'm just wanting it for colony rodent, and vermin extermination.

I asked some questions about the Hammerli rifle on a rimfire forum. I was told the same thing about it being made by Umarex, and accuracy was mediocre from test articles. I was more interested in if it was a true 10/22 footprint action as that opens up a world of options for the rifle.

I want a bolt action .17 HM2 rifle, and there aren't a lot of options. New right now there is Savage or Volquartsen, used a Sako Quad, CZ, or Ruger 77/17 HM2 are as much as the Volquartsen or more if I have to track down a barrel. Nothing against the Savage rifle, I just like the aftermarket for the 10/22 better.

I saw the Hammerli as a slower way into a .17 HM2 than a Volquartsen. If it takes 10/22 stocks and trigger groups, I could easily have a .17 cal barrel made and upgrade to an faux Volquartsen. It would only few hundred less than the Volquartsen I'm looking at, but I wouldn't have to spend the money all up front.

My other options are RimX or Bergara B14r actions for a full custom rimfire. I want a flush fit mag and that really isn't an option for either of those actions. It's also more than I really want to spend on a rimfire.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:42 AM   #7
DaleA

Thanks for the information FrankenMauser and Taylorce1. Much appreciated. I had no idea Umarex was involved. I assumed (yep, go ahead and make that joke on me) that if it was Hammerli it would be uber accurate.

Quote:
I have trouble getting "precision" out of any 22lr.
Emphasis is mine.

I somewhat share this sentiment. (Years ago I was disappointed by a Ruger 'Target' 10/22.)

But there is a solution. I just have to pry open the wallet and pull out enough to buy a Kidd or Volquartsen or go full on max and get the Olympic level, match grade Anschutz.

That would do it but I really can't justify the price even though I subscribe to the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy.

All that said, CZ and Bergara .22's have gotten some VERY good reviews here and IIRC they can be had around $600.
Old May 3, 2024, 06:06 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Those would both be very good options.
Pick your flavor from their lineups and it should do very well.
The 457s are available in about half a million varieties, and there are a few variations of the BMR. (B14R is not worth it unless you're competing.)
Old May 3, 2024, 07:02 PM   #9
taylorce1

I have the BMR with steel barrel, awesome little rifle. So much so, I've considered buying the .22 WMR and .17 HMR.

My daughter's Ruger 10/22 target was a decent shooter. However, I replaced the barrel with a Whistle Pig as it was about $50 more than threading the barrel for a suppressor. I also upgraded the factory trigger with the BX target trigger. It made the biggest difference in the groups.
Old May 3, 2024, 07:12 PM   #10
georgehwbush

" ...3/4" groups (10 rounds, minimum) at 50 yards... "
that would be 1.5" at 100yds and that is what i was complaining about. i can get 1.5" to 2" and 2" to 3" houndred yard groups out of either the mosberg 702 ($107 walmart gun) or the ruger american ($300) respectively with "garbage ammo" cheap as you can get bulk ammo.

or i can get about the same out of them with other higher priced; but not very high, ammo that is on shelves in my AO. maybe i should try shopping on line for "BETTER" ammo.... ?

i dont know. just saying. in my experience, 22lr is not as accurate as what i would like it to be,
you say your experience is different. that's good. and i respect that.

i do like 22lr but more for the price than anything else.

Last edited by georgehwbush; May 3, 2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 3, 2024, 09:54 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

You need to find out what kind of pixie dust is being sprinkled on that ammo, if your re-branded Rossi is shooting 1.5" 10-round groups at 100 yards with bulk pack ammo.
You could make a fortune selling it.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:50 AM   #12
stagpanther

22lr certainly can shoot under MOA--and even to 100 yds and beyond. But you are going to need good gear--good conditions--and good technique; pretty much in that order.

I would also argue that becoming a good shooter of 22lr will have direct benefits to shooting better in larger centerfire rifles.
Old May 4, 2024, 08:26 AM   #13
taylorce1

Here is what my BMR will do at 50 yds with some bulk ammo.

The groups often fall apart at 100 yards with the HV stuff. However, if I can hit my poppers at 100 yards consistently then I'm pretty happy.

My poppers are pretty beat up due to a lot of Magnum rimfire testing with .22 and .17 cals.
Old May 8, 2024, 01:17 PM   #14
georgehwbush

(...re-branded Rossi...) is that supposed to be the ruger american or the mossberg 702 ?

(The groups often fall apart at 100 yards with the HV stuff.)
that was what i was saying, sort of. should we"i" be shooting 50 rather than 100 for the 22lr mine are only consistant out to about 170~175 yds after that i can no longer hit soda cans at will. with centerfire 440 is at will unless the wind is ugly. and i shoot groups at 100yds with centerfire so should i be shooting -50yds for the 22lr ?

i don't feel comfortable shooting shorter than 100 "it's personal" but if that is where i'm missing out on all the hype then i will try to build a bullet-trap for that range.

one other thing, taylorce1; you are firing low on purpose so as to not distrub the poa, correct ? i normally dial down to shoot groups for that reason. just asking.
Old May 9, 2024, 05:08 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

I got lucky a couple years ago and picked up a lightly used Savage B22 with a heavy barrel for a couple hundred bucks. I stuck an inexpensive Bushnell 22 scope on it and it shoots amazing with almost any ammo, but really shines with Aguila SV. It’s sub MOA out to 75yds and right at MOA at 100yds. It’s even close enough using the extra compensation dots to use them for plinking or shooting gophers without making any scope adjustments. I only have one minor complaint and had one issue with it. The rotary mag sucks to load, not as easy as the Ruger 1022. I was also getting failures to extract. I called Savage and explained the situation and mentioned I purchased it used and that I’d also just purchased another Savage in 17HMR and was concerned about future problems with it. Since the bolts used the same extractor they sent me two new replacements with springs no charge. The replacements were much better quality than the originals and easy peasy to replace and no more problems since.
Old May 9, 2024, 05:28 AM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
one other thing, taylorce1; you are firing low on purpose so as to not distrub the poa, correct ? i normally dial down to shoot groups for that reason. just asking
I wasn't shooting low on purpose, I just wasn't making any adjustments to my optics. I really didn't care where the bullets impacted, as long as they were close to my point of aim. After I'm done testing ammunition or reloads and have decided what I want to use, then I adjust the point of impact to where I actually want it.