The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2007, 11:34 AM   #1
DataMax

Just another Night Sight post

I have been looking for a set of quality night sights for my 1911PD. I think I'll call S&W this week and see what they can do for me. I also want to find out if Wilson's Nite Eyes can be used on my S&W.

Novak has exactly what I want but at $245 with installation I am less than impressed. For that kind of "doe-rae-me" I can just about get a LaserMax guide rod and turn my 1911 into a point and shoot type of gun.

Has anyone here had any experience with LaserMax?
Old January 28, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
StrawDog

re lasermax vs night-sights

The lasermax is a useful "toy". By this I mean that it is helpful as a trainer tool; I can see my bad habits as I practice them. I mounted one of these on a Kimber 1911 9mm and experienced a number of reliability issues. Some of which were my own doing. This product is evidently not intended for a 9mm; none the less I cut the spring so that it cycled properly and lasermax sent me a modified slide stop. With the gun VERY CLEAN this generally worked well for a box or two of shells and then as things got dirty the gun would jam and the laser would cut out. I usually like to shoot 3 or more boxes and don't always clean it after use. I was able to adjust the spot right where the bullet hits. It was very helpful in correcting my trigger control issues, but for bussines I'd never compromise the reliability without a good gunsmith working the thing over. That will add up quick. The laser mounted in the grip is the way to go if reliability is required.

With all that said on my 45 I have Novac night sights and love em. I've felt no motivation to inslall the lasermax rod on it.