The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2000, 03:12 PM   #26
Dimitri

Put the standing bench and the sitting bench at 90 degree angles in a corner. You'll find that you like to have that second surface available as a "sideboard" counter. When I'm sitting at the press, my scale is on the standing bench where it's at eye level. When I'm at the standing bench, I keep bullets, cases, primers at hand on the sitting bench.

I find that sometimes I like to sit and sometimes I stand. My presses are mounted on planks and attach to the benches with C-Clamps.

Build an "island" cabinet and put it on locking casters. That way it moves to a wall when not in use or sets up next to a working bench. Who knows? You may find yourself working on a howitzer in the middle of the floor (or mounting a crew-served on your duck boat . . . )

If you build a permanent island, you're going to spend a lot of time walking around it and wishing it were not in the middle of things.

Kitchens have a "work triangle" consisting of the refer, sink, and stove (microwave). See if you don't have a "work triangle" in your loading sequence and then make sure you don't build obstacles in line with it.

Get a decent swing arm light -- not a cheapie. A solid vise is a good option too. I mount my case trimmer and primer tool on blocks and secure them in the vise. A laundry sink at the end of the bench makes gun cleaning/work a whole lot easier. I put my solvents and cleaners in the sink so if/when they spill, they spill into the sink. The muzzle goes over the sink so that solvents and drips don't end up on the floor. (Get a catch for the drain hole to catch small parts.)

A radio and clock are must have items in any shop area.
Old October 5, 2000, 09:53 PM   #27
rr41mag

I just finished my reloading room a couple months ago. Why coldn't this posting have been a little earlier???? Anyways after reading through all the posts I did pick up a few things. One thing I did was to buy those plastic compartment type shelves from home depot. They hang on the wall easily and come in different sizes and the trays open outward and don't fall out. The last post said something about a clock and a radio. The two go hand in hand. You get to loading and listening to the radio that you need the clock to let you know that you have spent four hours in your reloading room!!!!!!
Old October 5, 2000, 11:27 PM   #28
OkieGentleman

Go to one of the local used computer dealers and see if they have any of the computer power supply setups that has 5 or 6 plugs with a master off on switch. They are usually lit when on. That way you can turn everything off at once when you leave the area. You wont forget something that will maybe catch on fire or burn itself out by being left on.
Old October 6, 2000, 10:34 PM   #29
Contender

This is a bench built into a basement closet running under a stairway. I ran 2x6's down the sides and lagged them to the studs. A 2x12 was mounted across the front with some 2x6's spanning across to the rear. 1/2" inch plywood was then fastened to the top. Plenty of storage underneath to rear of closet. Rear shelves are mounted back against the sloping ceiling. I've since added much more equipment and components. Also have added a quick change mount setup for different presses, electric outlet and flourescent light #2. Bench is about 4 ft wide. Hope this gives someone else an idea. Always was a "closet" reloader.

Here is the Photo Link to preserve thread space. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited October 07, 2000).]