The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 21, 2024, 08:19 PM   #1
timlab55

BackStop

As you or most of you know I live in the county, where it's quiet and peaceful. A few days I hear gun shots going off and it's legal to shot on your own land. I've have though about building my own backstop. But after being at a rifle range (30 mins away), my thoughts about what a rifle range should look like didn't even come close. Brass all over the ground I think from 2 years ago as where there should be sand was brass. They had berms that was 20 or even 30 feet high between the pistol and rifle range. But as I walked to the 100 yard line, I started to hear ricochet going over my head. I think out of 20 rounds maybe 2, but still that 2 two many. They really didn't have target boards and if I was able to find one, it was broken or on it's last leg. And to make matters worst, they had carpeter bee's flying all over the benches where you stood or sat. Is this how they all are? To boot they open at 12 and close at 7 and it's cost $20 dollars to get in. I guess maybe 10 years ago, this place was outstanding, but not anymore.
After coming back from the range, my wife and I like to pratice shooting. She has only pistols and I have rifles. The highest pistol she has is a 357 mag. I on the other hand I have my 22lr and AR15. Now the area: On the Southside of me, I have a downgrade, with woods, but only about 1,095 feet there is a major road. Can't really shoot that way. North of me, there are woods as well, with a walking trail. Beyond that there are woods and the closest road is about 3,878 feet. It's a upgrade maybe about 2% for the first 100 feet, and then levels out. Can't shoot East because of the homes there (2 of them). And West of me, the first 143 feet is clear and level, followed by a dirt road (hardly ever travel during the day) and then woods 2,588 feet before a house. So that's the layout. Now, we shooting small arms (22lt), I've seen a few video's show a guy shooting at 2x4 and those rounds only when through of them. So image this. I have a barn made of a Cypresswood. Now if I put a pile of sand there (maybe 5ft tall and 2 feet wide), with 3 sheets of plywood, would that save my barn from shooting 75 yards?
My question is, would my backstop be good enough?
Thanks

Last edited by timlab55; April 22, 2024 at 05:45 AM.
Old April 22, 2024, 08:14 AM   #2
taylorce1

First off, I'd never intentionally shoot at any of my permanent structures back stop or not. Then sand or dirt is going to compact and settle over time, and probably blow apart any simple structure to contain it in short order. Unless you seal against moisture plywood will delaminate fairly quickly when exposed to elements or in direct ground contact. It'll take a box of some sort to hold sand in a pile 5' tall and 2' wide, as it's going to want to be a cone in shape.

I'd probably use pallets and some 6"X6"X8' treated posts to build a backstop. Set the posts 3' in the ground, as far apart as the slats on the pallets you have to use. I'd screw the pallet slats to the front and back of the posts horizontally with no gaps, and fill the first 2-3" with rock for drainage and the rest of the way between the slats with more loosely spaced pallet wood or a rubber playground mulch. This will expand and contract less as it won't retain as much moisture. I'd also paint all the boards or use a deck sealer to treat the pallet slats. Then as the slats get damaged you only have to replace the damaged board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlab55
Now, we shooting small arms (22lt),
If this means you only want to shoot rimfire cartridges, buy a bullet trap. Most are under $100, just google it. Some of the bullet traps can be upgraded to handle .44 mag pistol as well. Mout it to a 2X board the appropriate width and use shelf brackets to set it at the height you want on your backstop. Now your backstop only has to stop an errant bullet or one deflected off the side of the trap. Any rimfire bullet that makes it through both sides of the backstop isn't going to have the velocity or energy to leave your property. You'd probably want to make your backstop a little deepr (18" or so) if you're going to use handguns.
Old April 22, 2024, 12:36 PM   #3
timlab55

Is this all I would need?

https://www.amazon.com/Highwild-Bull...78&sr=8-7&th=1
Sorry about the link, can't find a way to post a link.
Old April 22, 2024, 01:21 PM   #4
taylorce1

That one would work. I was thinking of the Champion brand bullet trap when I posted. If you're looking for something to upgrade to handle pistol, you can look at supertargetsystems.com and their line of portable bullet traps. They are substantially more expensive as you go up in size of trap and cartridges handled.
Old April 22, 2024, 03:49 PM   #5
timlab55

I'm looking for something that will handle a 22lr down to a bb gun. To make it better, I think I'll put lots of sand around it, just to make it more better. But your saying this trap will hand what I need right? That backstop system would cost my first born and I don't think he would go willing.
Old April 22, 2024, 06:19 PM   #6
wachtelhund1

My Back Stop

I shoot on my property. I have a back stop that is 5x6' and 5' high. Corner posts are made of 4x4" post. Sides are 2x8"s to 2x10"s on all four sides. I have it filled with sand. Every two to three years, depending on how much I shoot, I replace the front boards and refill the sand. Since I am the only one shooting, or others that I supervise, this structure is fine for me. This stops rim fire and center fire rounds.

I live in WI, WI has a law protecting offical and un-offical ranges. This is primarily for sound and noise against urban sprawl.
Old April 22, 2024, 06:25 PM   #7
timlab55

I have a back stop that is 5x6' of what? I understand the 5' but what is the 5x6'? Got a picture?
Old April 22, 2024, 07:06 PM   #8
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlab55 View Post
I have a back stop that is 5x6' of what? I understand the 5' but what is the 5x6'? Got a picture?
I suppose he means five feet by six feet.

That's still a little small if not backed up by a hill.

You have to figure there will be an errant shot once in a while that might exceed those measurements.
Old April 22, 2024, 07:33 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlab55
But your saying this trap will hand what I need right?
Yes, the trap you linked will worked. I just linked a website that had more options and allowed for larger cartridges than rimfire. There rimfire trap starts out at $195 for a 12"X12" trap and is almost $600 for a 24"X24". The nice thing about their bullet traps is they are upgradeable to .44 Mag hand gun. This was the trap from STS I was hoping you'd find. If you eventually want to spend the money you can buy a trap that'll handle magnum rifle cartridges.
Old April 22, 2024, 10:14 PM   #10
timlab55

One last question. How level does the ground have to be between from where your standing and to the target?
Old April 22, 2024, 10:53 PM   #11
georgehwbush

( How level does the ground have to be between from where your standing and to the target? )

it doesn't, how level will the ground be where you have to actually use the weapon you are now practicing with. same answer.

this may not be anything that will interest you; but, i have a bullet stop made of 5 stacks of warn out truck tires filled with crushed rock. three stacks then two stacks behind in the gaps. each stack is seven tires tall. that makes for about six feet high and eight feet wide, of usable backstop.
it will catch any projectile i have. ( i don't have a 50bmg but it should catch a few of those if needed. )
i set targets low in front of that and shoot. nearest thing behind it is 440yds open field, then small wooded patch and a hill side. but even if it were a road i wouldn't worry too much about it. i would make sure there wasn't life on the road before pulling the trigger but i wouldn't worry about the bullet reaching the road. just saying.

i might ought to add, i'm not a novice shooter, not a pro but been at it for many many years, i shoot 6 inch groups at 880yds. i don't think i will miss the backstop from the 425 yards that i can use at home. if you think there is a chance you might miss your backstop you should get closer to it.
Old April 23, 2024, 08:04 AM   #12
taylorce1

It doesn't have to be level at all, but if possible it's always better to be shooting from an uphill position. My personal range is pretty level, and for a long ways on the property behind mine to a dirt road 3/4 a mile away. It's all hay fields directly behind my property, and cow pasture beyond the road. I do hate that when hay season is over the neighbors park their irrigation piviot directly behind my berm backstop Nov to Mar.

I still shoot but only paper centerfire or rimfire metal targets during this time. I also don't shoot a lot of fmj or monometal bullets to stop any possibility of a ricochet as there are some rocks and pieces of broken concrete in my berm. I wish they would park it on the other end of the field, but they explained since the pivot articulates the side behind my berm keeps it straighter and they have less issues staring it back up in the spring.
Old May 12, 2024, 07:03 PM   #13
snoeproe

We shoot rimfire at our rural home. We use steel targets and behind them is my wood pile. It’s 5’ tall and 12’ or so wide. 3 rows of wood. Mostly pine and cedar. Standard velocity ammo is quiet enough so the neighbours don’t hear much of anything. Not much gets through that. We shoot centre fire at our range which is 20 min away.