The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Georgian

Does anyone here prefer the 20 gauge?

Hey yall. The question is the title. I was just wondering. Personally, I have nothing bad to say about the 20 gauge. Its the only shotgun I've ver dealt with, I've never shot a 12 gauge, so I guess I'm a bit biased in a way. I was just wantin to get everyone's generl opinion on the 20 gauge. Is it just for women/small adults/kids to shoot, or is it a man's gun also? I mean sometimes I get to feelin pretty whimpy b/c I'm so partial to a 20 gauge. I dunno. Here:http://www.internetarmory.com/shotgun_ammo.htm it states that a 20 gauge has the ballistic force of 2 .44 magnum rounds in one shotshell. I dont know about everything, but if thats true, then its certainly nothing to mess with. I reckon what I'm getting at is that I like the 20 gauge, and wonder if by any chance am I weird because I like and use a smaller shotgun? Feel free to post, anyone is welcome.

God Bless
Old January 3, 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
HGKosteck

It's a good gun.

Bottom line;

-If you are comfortable with it, it's the best gun for you. If it's the one you got, it's the best for you.

Your gun, like you, is only as effective as your training.

I really would advise moving up to a 12 Gauge, if you want to stay in the shotgun arena. There's nothing a 20 gauge can do that a 12 can't do better.

If you can handle a 12 G. ok, move up, if not, stay with the 20. Don't run anything less than #3 for HD though. Get some slugs too.
Old January 3, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3
BigFunWMU

There is nothing wrong with a 20ga.

Shooting clays takes more skill with a 20ga.

For a slug gun, it tends to shoot flatter and farther than a 12ga.

You just lose a little range on bird hunting.
Old January 4, 2006, 12:26 AM   #4
glockopop

My dad buys all his guns on clearance at Wal-Mart, so even though he's 6'2" and over 300 lbs he has a winchester compact (kid-size stock) 20 gauge. I gave him a hard time last year when he went on his first deer hunt with it. He called me at work and said "Sissy gun my a$$! I'm standing over a nice doe!" I'll take my dad's tiny 20 gauge over my mossberg 12 any day. I don't necessarily prefer 20 gauge, but based on my experience with his shotgun and mine, a winchester is way better than a mossberg.
Old January 4, 2006, 06:33 AM   #5
mathman

I'll tell you one thing...I'm not standing in front of a 20 gauge when the trigger is pulled!

For most applications, the 20 gauge is better...plinking, shooting skeet, hunting small birds or small game, better for kids and women since it does have less recoil. About the only applications that I can think of where a 12 gauge is better is: waterfowl hunting, home defense and deer hunting (but I actually think that deer hunting is better left to a rifle anyway).
Old January 4, 2006, 08:57 AM   #6
HSMITH

I prefer a 20 for everything but waterfowl hunting.

You do need to be a little better shot for the same hits than you do with a 12, but it isn't nearly as big a difference as most people think. Some time on the pattern board is very educational.
Old January 4, 2006, 09:14 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I prefer a 20 for everything but waterfowl hunting.
Do you turkey hunt with 20 ga, even though you have access to a 12 ga?
Old January 4, 2006, 09:50 AM   #8
BoltWorks

I went to a 20 gauge for my wife and to have a family defense gun we both were VEry comfortable with. My 870 "turkey gun" with synthetic stock and extended mag tube makes for a very formidable set up.
I Love it, and is now one of my favorites.
Old January 4, 2006, 08:24 PM   #9
HSMITH

FF, I have only shot one turkey with 12 and one with a 20. Not a lot of experience, but both just HAMMERED the turkey.

All but one of my 20's now are shiny and pretty, so I all fairness I would pull one of my ugly 12's out of the locker to turkey hunt these days.

On the pattern board I found the 20 to start running out of pellets a little under 40 yards, with my 3.5" 12 and ultranastylooongmagnums it will maintain density out to 60 yards I only have 2 turkey chokes for my 20's and 5 for my 12. I might have been able to eek a few more yards out of the 20 but if I did it wouldn't be very many.

I suppose the 12 is a more fitting turkey gun than the 20, but a 20 works fine inside of 40 yards.