The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2022, 02:59 PM   #1
Butzbach

Federal primer virgin!

Folks,
I have some .38 Special primed brass headed my way. It is primed with federal primers. I have only ever used CCI primers. Any advice?

Anyone have a source of loading data for federal primers?

Let me know.
Old March 10, 2022, 04:07 PM   #2
reddog81

There's no difference in loading data.

Assuming it's loaded with small pistol primers it will be indistinguishable from CCI primers other than Federal is regarded as being a little more sensitive and easier to ignite. Because of this Federal is preferred for revolvers with lightened mainsprings.
Old March 10, 2022, 05:35 PM   #3
Butzbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
There's no difference in loading data.

Assuming it's loaded with small pistol primers it will be indistinguishable from CCI primers other than Federal is regarded as being a little more sensitive and easier to ignite. Because of this Federal is preferred for revolvers with lightened mainsprings.
Thanks for the intel!
Old March 10, 2022, 06:57 PM   #4
Shotgun Slim

The smart reloader never changes a component without reducing the load and working up while watching pressure signs. If your load with CCI primers is near max would you not want to know that Federal primers may give you too much pressure? "There's no difference in load data" is a bold statement that you would do well to ignore.
Old March 10, 2022, 07:59 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

I have found minimal differences changing primers, generally in the 10-20fps range. However I do, and would recommend working up from start again just to make sure nothing is off.
Old March 10, 2022, 08:20 PM   #6
kilotanker22

I have recently switched from CCI to Federal primers for all pistol cartridges. For no other reason than the only pistol primers that can be had local to me are Federal these days. I have found tighter velocity spreads in 9mm, 10mm, and 40 S&W when using the Federal primers. Maybe I am just lucky, but I very much like the Federal primers I have been using.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 10, 2022, 08:49 PM   #7
reddog81

Which cartridge when loaded with small pistol primers has any history of causing pressure changes when switching from one brand of small pistol primers to another?
Old March 10, 2022, 10:06 PM   #8
mehavey

I use Federal on everything, save gas guns.
At 38 Special pressures, don't worry about it.
Old March 10, 2022, 10:16 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

redDog81

every primer brand is a little different, from the exact compound mixture, to the amount of compound. It is much? I don't thing so. In this video a company tested 9mm with CCI small pistol, small pistol magnum, and small rifle and found only small differences in pressure. But its generally wise to work the load back up just to double check.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVRGsoOr6k
Old March 10, 2022, 11:04 PM   #10
reddog81

With small pistol primers the load data is the same and when using them in .38 Special the results will be indistinguishable. The linked video compares SP, SPM and SR primers and comes to the same conclusion…. As mentioned in the video, the hardness of the primer cup is the biggest difference.

FWIW CCI and Federal primers are made by the same company. He can work up various loads but with .38 Special there is no way the results will have any meaningful change from one small pistol primer to another.
Old March 10, 2022, 11:40 PM   #11
rclark

I personally would not worry about it. Load them as you usually do your .38s assuming of course your .38 loads are by the book so to speak!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 12, 2022, 12:57 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
Folks,
I have some .38 Special primed brass headed my way. It is primed with federal primers. I have only ever used CCI primers. Any advice?

Anyone have a source of loading data for federal primers?

Let me know.
I would venture that more commercial data was developed with Federal Primers than CCI. Small pistol, in my opinion, does not matter what brand you shoot. Datai s close enough to the same. If you are running right on the ragged edge, might be enough difference to matter, but practically, it does not.
Old March 12, 2022, 01:21 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Quote:
FWIW CCI and Federal primers are made by the same company.
Well, yes, Vista has acquired a lot of the old line companies, now including Remington ammunition.
But that does not mean the primers are the same product. The chemistry is different.
Old March 12, 2022, 03:01 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Jim is right. These companies have a common owner, but they remain physically independent and make the products they developed independently of one another. Just because GM owns Cadillac and GMC doesn't mean the vehicles are identical. Same thing here. In this case, Federal is in Anoka, Minnesota, while CCI is in Lewiston, Idaho, almost 1400 miles apart by road; a 21-hour drive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 13, 2022, 01:37 PM   #15
hikingman

With medium powder charges for plinking, I recommend testing 2 different loads, your first time out with the Federal primers. I'm not posting about hot, or anything similar to +P loads, here.

1. Same charge as you had with CCI primers.
2. Reduced by .2 to .3 grains. (That's reduced by tenths and not whole grains.)

My guess is accuracy will be mighty close between the two.
Old March 14, 2022, 12:09 AM   #16
Jim Watson

With MY 9mm load, there was NO difference in velocity from 6 out of 7 primers on hand.
Remington 1 1/2 was a LITTLE faster than even magnum and rifle.