The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 19, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
LynnTX

Improved BUG

Some years ago I bought a small stainless Rossi (Interarms) 38 spl for my wife. It was petite with small grips & I thought she could handle easily. Well, she never fired it and I could not get her to the range, so this week I changed out the girly grip to a Pachmayr so it would better fit yours truly. It now makes a nice 5 shot pocket gun if I feel so inclined.

What do you think?
Old February 19, 2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Cool_Hand

I think that you should buy your wife guns more often, "honey guess what, I just bought you this S&W 500 magnum"
Old February 19, 2010, 10:25 PM   #3
LynnTX

Hey -Cool Hand

Ha - I guess you could be right there. I had the best intentions when I bought that gun, but after years of laying in a drawer, I realized she never intented to shoot it. I decided if any gun play will fall to me, I would at least configure the gun more to my liking.

I'm wondering if she might like a nice tactical shot-gun?? :>)
Old February 20, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Elvishead

I like that pinky dent on the bottom. Being the pinky is the weakest digit, that might help with recoil. Can you take a photo of your hand holding it?
Old February 20, 2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Uncle Billy

That's a really appealing little piece! I think I *need* one of those- a snubby .38. It's about time I bought a new gun anyway, and I don't have a kilobuck or so for a new Tommy gun or an old Luger.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:47 PM   #6
rickyjames

fine little gun my dad had one just like it and it served him well. i have it's bigger brother in 357 and like it too.
Old February 20, 2010, 01:24 PM   #7
longcall911

So, have you shot it yet?

I like the grips. I switched out my S&W 1911 stock grips for Pachmayr full wrap around. That changed it from an $1100 pistol I was unhappy with, to being my favorite.

Now you need some range time with it and to tell us how she shoots...

/*tom*/
Old February 20, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
LynnTX

To LongCall

No, I have not had time to shoot it yet. My wife has been ill this weekend and I am taking care of her. I will shoot it pretty soon.

I recall when I was testing it some years ago, it had quite a kick and large muzzle blast with just normal 38 spl ammo. I think the grip will tone that down a little and give me better control.

I believe it is the same size as the S&W J frames, so it is a pretty small weapon. I do know I would not care to be on the business end at close range however. The muzzle blast alone is pretty intiimidating.

Last edited by LynnTX; February 20, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:07 PM   #9
LynnTX

Per request

This is photo holding gun. It is still pretty compact even with the new grip.
I have medium large hands, but the grip feels very secure.

(BTW It was very awkward to hold the gun and use my camera with my left hand so I know I am not exactly using a model grip.

The indentation (contour) at the bottom of the grip does naturally give your pinky a natural place to firm up the grip (either left or right handed).
Old February 21, 2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Uncle Billy

That picture did it- now it's mandatory.