The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
mossyoakpenn

Should I buy a Redhawk 5.5"?

What do you guys think. I found a new one in my local gun shop for $580. Its the blued version with the 5.5" barrel in 44mag. Im looking for a good shooter on this one. Im actually a Smith guy but I cant bring myself to use a pretty revolver that much. Plus the blued model is discontinued and I dont like the stainless ones. Should I buy this one new or wait to find a used one for less money? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks!
Old January 28, 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
bluetopper

I bought a slightly used satin stainless Redhawk a year ago out of a pawn shop for $390 plus tax. At first I loved the gun and it was wonderfully accurate but it had a hard horrible single action trigger and that aspect really got on my nerves. I sold it and got a like new 629-6. I'm a happy camper now.

Both transactions I done on gunbroker.
Old January 28, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
CraigC

I never met a gun that was too nice to shoot, from a $75 Mossberg .22 to a $4000 Merkel game gun.
Old January 28, 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Smaug

Go for it

1) I agree that the Redhawk SA trigger is not that great. Not bad, but not great either. The Redhawk DA trigger is very good.

2) The Super Redhawk trigger is better in SA, but worse in DA. But it was never offered in a 5.5" barrel, nor blued finish.

3) Blued carbon steel is more receptive to fine machining than stainless. It is the fly in the ointment of stainless guns.

4) 5.5" is the perfect barrel length for a full size, non-hunting, non-carry 44 Magnum. Good balance and good sight radius.

5) $580 seems to be a little much. I'd probably look for a used one in the $400 range. If you buy the new one, and it is indeed discontinued (I didn't check) you may be tempted not to shoot this one either!

The only downside is that if you buy a 5.5" blued Redhawk, you may lose your taste for S&W 29s. I know I did. (having owned both) The Ruger doesn't shoot loose and the stock wood grip is more comfy than the sharply checkered S&W grip. Of course that little issue is easily solved on a S&W.

My 7.5" stainless Redhawk is a tack driver.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old January 28, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
rugernut

gotta 5 1/2 inch ss redhawk and i carry it all the time at the deer lease. one of these days im gonna stumble upon a little piggie and put the bacon in a pan./they are great guns that can take a beating
Old January 28, 2009, 07:45 PM   #6
akr

The gun is worth the money in quality, if you think you can handle the shorter bbl. It IS a new gun. Bud's has them for $582 delivered, but I think they are out of stock right now. That is a decent price from the gun shop if it is new.

NRA Lifetime Member

Last edited by akr; January 28, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:58 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Yeah that is not a bad price. I paid in the mid $500 dollar range 3 years ago for mine. As far as liking the gun I really like how it handles. Plus it is just a solid built revolver. I also have the 5.5" barrel and am happy with that decision. I say go for it.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:22 PM   #8
mossyoakpenn

You guys are making this really hard. I made up my mind tonight at work that it was gonna be Smith only. Now I dont know. Like it was said earlier, the DA pull is better than a Smith but the SA isnt. Its a very close second though. I wanna give the Ruger a try but Im afraid Ill never go back to Smith. There is just something about the Smiths that pulls at my soft side, and my wallet.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Huntergirl

Get the trigger smoothed out by a gunsmith, problem solved. That's what I did.
Old January 28, 2009, 11:43 PM   #10
Waterengineer

Should you buy it?

Yes!
Old January 29, 2009, 12:28 AM   #11
akr

I would buy it fast! You will get your money's worth.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old January 29, 2009, 12:49 AM   #12
laytonj1

Quote:
You guys are making this really hard. I made up my mind tonight at work that it was gonna be Smith only.
Variety is the spice of life.
I have Smiths, Colts, Freedom Arms, Ruger, Dan Wesson, Glock... I like them all.

Jim
Old January 29, 2009, 01:23 AM   #13
Jim March

If you want a gun in that class, I'd buy that so long as I was sure it was made fairly recently. Ruger QC has been on a strong upswing of late. One clue: see if the "lawyer billboard" has been moved to under-barrel instead of side. That would definitely mark it as recent construction. Failing that, I'd go back there and call the SN in to Ruger and find out when it was made...in Redhawks, the ones made in the last couple of years seem better; the new 4" variants fr'instance are getting rave reviews.

And there's also "the checkout", which I would always do on any gun this side of a Korth or Freedom Arms...
Old January 29, 2009, 01:49 PM   #14
MADISON

To buy a Redhawk or not

I have said this many times before...
I had a 629 S&W and over a thousand rounds of 44 Magnum reloads with 21 grains of 2400 [Max Load!] The Smith did not like them.
I bought a Stainless 5.5 Redhawk and it loves my hot reloads.
Old January 29, 2009, 09:32 PM   #15
imdarren

I love the Smith's. A VERY Sexy gun, and great triggers.
However . . . .
I have a Smith and A 5.5" Redhawk, and let me tell you, I push some really HOT loads (300gr Hornady HP/XTP & 25gr H110) I have loaded down that barrel, and that thing is still tight as can be. Lets see a Smith do that.
I think my trigger on my Redhawk is great, even compared to my Smiths, but If a person wanted even a beter trigger, any good gun smith can do a nice trigger job on that Redhawk for a really reasonable price.
The blued Redhawk is no longer a catalog item, I'd buy it and dont look back!
Trust me, you will never be able to waer it out, even if you try!
Do a $75 trigger job on it if you like, and you will be crazy about it! Trust me.

D
Old January 29, 2009, 09:39 PM   #16
jhgreasemonkey

Madison has a good point. If you plan on using hot loads or long nose bullets then the redhawk is the ticket. It was built for that kind of use and does it very well. The smith is a very nice revolver as well and does indeed have a great trigger. If you plan on using standard loads then it would be a very fine choice. I wanted the versitility of using absolutely the entire spectrum of different .44 mag loads so I went with the redhawk. But I do like the smith. The colt anaconda is pretty sweet as well if you are going for a superb trigger. But it is said that hot loads put this show horse in an early grave.
Old January 31, 2009, 12:44 PM   #17
mossyoakpenn

I have an updated question for all you Redhawk lovers. I found a used one from 1985 for sale. Good price on it. The question is....how was the quality of these things back then? Someone said in a post up above about the QC issues and how they have gotten better. What were these revolvers like back then? Thanks again yall!

Im going to start a new post for this one
Old January 31, 2009, 12:45 PM   #18
mossyoakpenn

Old January 31, 2009, 11:05 PM   #19
support_six

Buy it! Ruger has discontinued the 5½" blued Redhawk for 2009!