The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 8, 2002, 04:35 PM   #1
Dave AA

New production Model 29?

I was down at a local gun store yesterday wiating for my van to be done at the shop.

I saw not one, but two S&W model 29s. They were 6", round butt, with the lock.
They had smooth wood grips without fingergrooves, appeared to be factory. The blueing didn't seem as nice as the old ones, but it may have been the grease. I didn't have a chance to check for a dash #, or play with one. They were listed at $639, but this store is ALWAYS high. It was just close to the tranny place.
The clerk was no help, he claimed they were from a batch produced 5 years ago. "Rare! buy it now! pay a fortune!" IIRC Saf-t-Hammer did not own S&W then.
Anyone else seen one of these? I found no mention of it on the usual boards or S&W.
Old December 8, 2002, 04:41 PM   #2
mdlowry

Sounds like a Performance Center gun. *&* no longer offers bluing as a standard option. They are all stainless (or alloy). I wonder if this was one of the heritage series that they were offering?
Old December 8, 2002, 04:49 PM   #3
Dave AA

They were not marked in any special way, do the PC guns have any non-standard markings? I could find nothing on the S&W website about it, even in the PC and heritage sections.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:03 PM   #4
VictorLouis

They are a limited production run

of either 200 or 300(?) in 6.5" for Lew Horton Distribution. My dealer has his in the high $500s, like $589(?). FYI, the grips are by Kim Ahrends, and they would cost you around $70 by themselves.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:14 PM   #5
Dave AA

How can I tell if it's a Lew Horton special? I've been looking for a 29, but I've been looking for a -2 or earlier. If it's a limited run, I may want it!
Oh, also, how do the Lew Horton guns compare o regular production in quality?
Old December 8, 2002, 05:28 PM   #6
uglygun

Somebody at the local shop mentioned S&W re-introducing some 29s and not from the performance center. Don't see any mention of it on the S&W page though.

Anyone know if there is some new buzz about S&W making an attempt to offer some blued guns again. Price is still too rediculously high though if you ask me, I'd rather own a 29-2 that is in 95% or better condition that I bought for 400 than buy one of the new guns that is 100% condition and 650 dollars or higher.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:32 PM   #7
VictorLouis

S&W needs 'at least' a 200 unit order

to do something special for a distributor(though there may be some flexibility). In this case, they produced a blued gun where none is being produced right now. There's likely a special product code on the box referencing Lew Horton, but trust me, that's what it is. Now, that's not to say that Bangor's or Camfour's might not call them up and order a batch for themselves.

In any case, it's a standard gun, just blued rather than stainless. The fact it has a 6.5" barrel is the only thing unique that would stand out to me. That just means it will be a pain to find a holster for it, since 6" has been the standard for quite awhile before moving up to the 8&3/8s" length.

Being that's it's new, it will have the 'endurance package' that all of the big N-frames got with the '-4' series. Translation, it will weather the heavier loads easier than an earlier '-2' if that's a concern for you.
Old December 11, 2002, 02:41 AM   #8
Dave AA

Well, I found one at my regular store for $575, so I bought that sucker. The blueing is fantastic, the fit and finish even better than my other S&Ws.
The SA is crisp, the DA is S-M-O-O-T-H, but heavy. I think someone got happy with the tension screw. I'll take care of that at the range. It is marked 29-8.

"It'll blow yer head clean off"
Old December 11, 2002, 08:26 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

Tension screw wrong point of attack.

Sam