The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
pbassman07

Tool needed for sight adjustment.

I just recently purchased a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro .40 cal. from a local gun show. I discovered at the firing range that the front sight is a tad off. My question is what tool do I need to loosen the set screw to make an adjustment?
Old March 1, 2008, 07:45 PM   #2
MLeake

adjusting sights

Unless Taurus requires a specialty tool of some sort, adjustable sights can be adjusted by a typical jeweler's screwdriver. Bought one at Wally world for one or two bucks.
Old March 1, 2008, 11:20 PM   #3
LHB1

Is your front sight noticeably off center? Is it a tenon or dovetail type? Sight adjustments/corrections are usually made with the rear sight unless there is a major problem with the front sight. The rear sight is moved in the direction you want the bullet impact to move on the target. Is your rear sight adjustable or fixed type? The former can be adjusted with a small screwdriver. The latter must be drifted sideways in the sight slot. This can be a real problem with some very tight fitting sights and is better handled by a gunsmith.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old March 2, 2008, 11:15 AM   #4
MLeake

Rtfq, M

Sorry, I should have read the OP more carefully. Front sight issue. Argh.
Old March 2, 2008, 12:11 PM   #5
jhenry

Probably you should post exactly what happened at the range that made you think the front sight is an issue.