The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 9, 2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Hellbilly5000

am I the only out there...

That likes semi autos and single action revolvers but does not care for double action revolvers.

To me a semi auto or a single action are just a lot more fun to shoot.
I know double action revolvers are considered more reliable then semis but the enjoyment in shooting them is just not there for me like it is with semis and s/a pistols
Old July 9, 2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Sport45

On most DA revolvers you can thumb the hammer back. You knew that, right?

Of course the SA revolver with it's base pin may be marginally better at holding the cylinder in alignment, but they have their problems too. I got rid of my .44mag SBH because the base pin would sometimes jump out with heavy loads. My RH took it's place nicely. I have weened myself off the heavy stuff for the most part...
Old July 9, 2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Hellbilly5000

Yeah I know but I just don't like double action revolvers even though you can thumb the hammer back
Old July 9, 2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Singlesix1954

I'm with you. I have afew DAs and shoot them mostly SA. It is an accuracy thing. Close range poper shooters wouldn't understand. (Not that there is anything wrong with that!)
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old July 9, 2009, 08:37 AM   #5
greyson97

yeah, I like SA trigger pulls much more for shooting, but sometimes you have to learn how to DA pull, and be good at it, cause in the SD situation, gotta use the DA trigger pull, unless you have a 1911 locked and cocked.

how do you feel about the Glock trigger pull?
Old July 9, 2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Sevens

why write a short one when you can write a book!

My first DA revolver came in to my world when I was 17, so I've been shooting DA revolvers for 20-some years. For much of that, I was thumbing them back and shooting single action, but enjoying the quicker loading and ejecting. Hell, it's not even the quicker loading that I like the most-- it's the quicker ejecting. But back to my point.

For most of those years, I've been thumbing back my DA revolvers and shooting in single action. Always wanted a single action hogleg and last year, I finally bought my first.

Now I like it, it's a .30 Carbine Blackhawk and it's a fire breather. Anyone who has shot one in this caliber will tell you, it's all thunderous bark, so it's a heap of fun. But to make the hi-test cartridge run halfway decently, it's got a long 7.5 inch tube and it's a little lengthy so it handles a little odd, like it's a little too long.

And loading it and unloading it is a moumental pain in the keister. Now I'm not in a constant hurry and I don't have ADD so it's not like I can't simply be patient and go through the motions (I can, and I do, and I don't fret over it) but it is what it is, and it seems like I spend half the time I'm using it thumbing out fired cartridges.

And funny enough, in the last 2 or 3 years, I've spent a lot more time shooting my DA revolvers and doing a lot of that shooting in slow, methodical double action. There's a real benefit to not changing my grip on the revolver between each shot. The trigger is long and heavy and makes me want to consider a little trigger (or at least return spring) work to make them easier.

But the bottom line is that I always used to shoot my DA revolvers in single action, but these days I do most of my DA revolver shooting double action. And though I always wanted a single action sixgun, I now have one and I just don't enjoy it as much as I do my traditional DA wheelguns. I don't have the same comfortable grip on the Blackhawk and loading it (and more so) unloading it seems like a task.

With the single action, cleaning is much more enjoyable. The cylinder is easier to do well because it's completely disconnected from the gun, and with no crane and ejector in the way.

Anyhow, I'd have to say that I'm opposite -- I love almost ALL guns out there, but I enjoy my DA revolvers more than my single action shooter. But one thing is for sure... as much as I love shooting me semi-autos (I shoot them more than revolvers), as a hand loader, I sure as hell love NOT chasing brass when I'm using my wheelies!
Old July 9, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7
bigghoss

I like 'em all!
Old July 9, 2009, 02:24 PM   #8
curt.45

+1 bigghoss.
Old July 9, 2009, 02:27 PM   #9
B.N.Real

I'm exactly the opposite.

While I really like s/a revolvers,I dislike that you either have to punch out the empties or take the whole cylkinder out to reload it.

But way more important to me is the fact that you cannot just pull the trigger to fire the gun.

You have to cock that hammer after every shot.

Too slow for me.

But I would definitely love to own a genuine old 45 Long Colt Colt single action revolver.

That's where the magic started.
Old July 9, 2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

D/A shooting can be just as accurate as S/A. It just takes PRACTICE. Don't be lazy. D/A revolvers have a lot to offer.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:39 PM   #11
smoke63b

They both have their place and their uses. Both are excellent for different circumstances and sometimes necessary for different circumstances.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:51 PM   #12
Teuthis

I think you are being narrow in your outlook Hellbilly. One should be open minded with regards to the firearms available to us. Proficiency with revolvers is as important as proficiency with semi-autos. For self defense I much prefer my 1911. But in the field, where beasts may be involved, or even human beasts, I prefer a powerful revolver every time. Its the proper tool for the proper situation.

Broaden your view and enjoy what we have. When they some day add ray guns to the mix, just bring it in with the rest.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:04 PM   #13
MLeake

The complaint I hear more often about DA vs SA revolvers...

... is with the hard recoiling ones. The SA grip shape lends itself to rolling back in the hand, and dissipating some of the recoil force. The humpback shape of the DA grip doesn't roll so well, is more likely to pinch the web between thumb and forefinger, and transfers more apparent recoil to the hand.

That said, I still generally prefer DA. The SA rolling back in my hand always felt weird to me.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:12 PM   #14
skydiver3346

Semi autos and SA revolvers:

Wish I only liked the ones you like Hellbilly: (SA's and semi autos).....

I sure would have a whole lot more $$$ if that was the case. But I just love 'em all and it gets pretty expensive when you like eveything!
Old July 9, 2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Hellbilly5000

I am not being narrow minded I just don't like da revolvers it's more of the grips on them I shoot them just fine and they are great for hunting with huge calibers
I love almost every rifle from lever action to semi to bolt action
Old July 10, 2009, 12:12 AM   #16
iScream

I shoot my DA revolvers almost 100% SA. I like the DA though since it makes loading and unloading a lot easier. The Single Six is fun to shoot sometimes but it's such a pain to put in one cartridge at a time and have to push each one out individually.

-Chris
Old July 10, 2009, 12:22 AM   #17
Rich Miranda

I definitely like the mystique and character of SA guns. There is just something about them that makes me want to work the action. Pistols and DA revolvers don't have that same feeling for me.

I don't own any SAs yet, but only because the budget does not allow.
Old July 10, 2009, 06:34 AM   #18
Kreyzhorse

I like SA revolvers, but I don't like them nearly as much as a good DA revolver. Oddly, I shot my DA in SA mode most of the time, but I do like having the option of DA or SA.

Regardless of action type, and I have grown to really like some semi autos, you still can't beat a good revolver for looks and reliability.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:13 AM   #19
jdscholer

Shooting DA has cured me of the trigger jerk/flinch problem that I was developing. It focuses my concentration on control of the gun rather than when the sear is going to release.

If you haven't tried slow accurate shooting in DA, do yourself a favor. It just might be the start of a good habit. jd
Old July 10, 2009, 08:34 AM   #20
Dingoboyx

I hear you Hellbilly

I am the same, like SA revolvers and semi auto pistols.... have shot DA revolvers, can take or leave them.... they look weird the hammerless ones nice guns tho, they are all good
Old July 10, 2009, 10:31 AM   #21
BlueTrain

I think that during the 1950s and on into the 1960s, single action revolvers were in the ascendency, mainly because of their use in television westerns and in the movies. There were the popular sports of quick draw and fast draw, most contestents using single action revolvers. That's about when Jeff Cooper entered the picture. He started out managing some of these shooting games. So, somehow, people got the idea that single action revolvers were faster than double actions and apparently, more practical. Partly for the same reason, presumably, that's about when the first reproduction single actions hit the market, Great Western probably being the first.

Large frame double actions were apparently scarce in the same period, although second hand New Service/M1917 revolvers for sale appeared in all the magazines. So overall, I don't think it's surprising that single actions were what people thought of when they thought of revolvers. Double action autos were just coming along around then, too, but people still thought of revolvers as being better, in spite of the numbers of European automatics that were being offered for sale then and most of them were single action.

And that was 50 years ago!
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:26 AM   #22
Hellbilly5000

Don't know if a sa is faster then a da but I think there more fun to shoot when it comes to shooting for pleasure. I guess if you practice with a sa then you would be faster with it. I do practice with da revolvers because I do love shooting and if you need to use a gun your first choice in guns may not be within reach. I do love em all but much like everyone else I do have my prefernces that I like to shoot (1911's and lever action rifles)
Old July 11, 2009, 01:36 AM   #23
Notenoughguns

Everyone should own a DA to learn consistent trigger manipulation. If you can shoot DA proficiently you'll do good with any type handgun.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:38 AM   #24
Shadi Khalil

Once you get a DA trigger nice an worn in and you get the staging down, it can be just as good as anything else. IMO, of course.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:46 PM   #25
Wobble

I have tried but can't learn to love DAs and the loooong trigger pull. And why have a DA if you normally shoot it in SA mode? Even my experienced friends have big problems with accuracy with DAs. I know -- practice, practice, practice......

As for SA revolvers being slow, it's possible to get rounds off as fast, or faster, with a SAA than with a semi, using weak-hand hammer thumbing (not "fanning").