The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2005, 08:31 PM   #26
MCSO66101

I would tell especially if its a legally owned handgun it puts the officer at ease, because if he finds it without you saying something you may be looking down the barrel of a 45. At least thats the way it is in N.J. But again in N.J. only cops carry guns very few people can get a carrying permit here.
Old March 14, 2005, 08:37 PM   #27
Mannlicher

I don't say anything to cops, except a direct answer to a direct question. In Fla, they already know you have a Carry Permit, that comes back when they run your tag.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 14, 2005, 09:20 PM   #28
wayneinFL

Figured I'd get my $.02 worth in....

#1. It matters what state you're in. Do you legally have to?

I just got stopped for he first time since I got my permit about 3 years ago. (maybe I really am a good guy), so this is fresh in my mind.

Realistically, I don't see why it would concern an officer that you have a carry permit. I don't see why an officer should fear someone who gave fingerprints, passed an FBI background check and waited 90 days for a permit to carry a gun.

Especially when anybody in this state who can legally possess a handgun (anyone over 18 who isn't a felon, etc.) can keep it loaded in the glovebox, in the console, holstered under the seat or pretty much anywhere as long as it's "securely encased". And it seems to be a fairly common practice.

Which is as it should be, IMHO. I mean if someone is crazy enough to kill a police officer, are they really going to care about getting a permit, following any state laws or federal laws? No. They care about staying out of prison, getting the $25 for the next rock, or whatever other demons are runniong around in their heads 4 o'clock Saturday afternooon.

O.k., now I'll get down off my soapbox...

In FL, you don't have an obligation to tell an officer you are carrying, although it's recommended. If you tell the officer you are carrying, then he sees you have nothing to hide. They know when they run your tag or your license here, because a friend of mine was pulled over and the first thing the officer asked was "Where's your gun?"

In my situation I was pulled over by a sheriff's deputy in the same county I've lived in for years- I know most of the deputies are not anti-gun types, and I don't look like some punk, so I didn't really expect any problems. I was pulled over in my wife's car, with her expired tag and my NRA and GOA stickers on it. I'm sure he must have believed I might be armed. I handed the deputy my driver's license and registration, which he asked for and that was it. I got a ticket for the tag.

(Man, I wish I could remember her birthday, for more reasons than one! $70 for the county or $70 for flowers, candy and "I'm sorry" presents? Either way it's too much.)

Anyway, that was my situation. Out of state where I don't know the law in detail, or in an area that seemed really trashy I would hand over the permit with my D.L.

Especially if it was muddy or rainy outside and I was wearing nice clothes.

I was in a situation years ago with jumpy cops (not locally) before I ever had a permit (didn't even own a firearm) and I don't think it was pleasant for me or them. The main thing I remember is lots of lights shined in my face, and not knowing if there were guns pointed at me. I think there probably were. If this happens, whatever you do, move slowly and make sure they can see your hands. Fortunately, they reminded me several times in the process. Do whatever they say.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:27 PM   #29
Nnobby45

Don't tell

In Nev. it isn't necessary to tell the officer unless asked. My CCW class was taught by two LE Officers. They advised that if it goes beyond a ticket or a warning, that you should inform the officer--- such as, if asked to step out of the car, or if you're asked to fill out an accident report while sitting in the patrol car, for example. It's gainst the law to enter a Police vehicle while armed.

For a simple traffic stop where you aren't required to exit your vehicle there isn't any reason to inform the officer unless asked---then you must.

If you inform the officer that you're armed, then do as your told. Don't go reaching for your ID to show him your permit until told to do so. (personally, my wallet will be in my hand by the time he reaches my car). The officer is in charge now. Just follow directions. Nevada has had CCW for ten years, and Officers are accustomed to handling such matters. If CCW is new in your state, then an officer may be nervous. Comply! Things can happen real fast, otherwise!
Old March 14, 2005, 10:29 PM   #30
zulustyle

Howdy,
As a courtesy I would. Mind you in my state NO permit is needed to carry a loaded weapon in your glove box or similar compartment. I feel it could avoid a whole lot of trouble in the long run. I used to work with a guy that was adeputy sheriff and he told me that in general LEO's really appreciate it when you inform them of that fact.
Old March 14, 2005, 10:49 PM   #31
hawken50

in ny

your not required to tell. but last month i was in 2 auto accidents, and both times i handed my permit to the officer along with my liscence and reg. the 1st time the officer just asked if it was in the car or on me. i told him it was on me and he said "ok". the second nothing was said at all. he handed it back with my lic. and reg. not a word was said. granted a police office has nothing to fear from me even when i'm armed, i just think it's only fair to them to let them know.
Old March 15, 2005, 12:42 AM   #32
MaNiFeSt

I'm in CT. when taking my pistol permit course the NRA teacher basically said that the laws here state that the gun must either be on you, or far away to the point where u cant reach it. Like in your trunk or something...

doesnt really seem to make sense does it? Anyways the law here says u dont have to say anything. When this question was brought up in class he said that he dosnt say anything unless asked, but when handing in his liscense he hands in his pistol permit as well.

He said u have to becareful, because it gives the cop a reason to search all your **** and make the next 30 minutes of ur life a pain in the ass, whereas if u didnt say anything, u may get a written warning or a speeding ticket and be on your way.

Everyones experiences on here are good things to learn by, i never even thought to make sure i have my liscense ready for the cop. Reaching for a wallet when having a CCW permit could.... well i guess i really dont have to explain.

if the cop asks i'll tell him, if not, i'll hand him my CCW permit with my liscense, registration and proof of insurence.
Old March 15, 2005, 01:44 AM   #33
Whitefalls

Makes no sense how having a state issued concealed carry permit and the weapon to go with it gives a cop probable cause to search your vehicle. That's rediculous.
Old March 15, 2005, 02:08 AM   #34
tlm225

Let's see, I'll probably be showered with righteous indignation for this so let me get a few things on record first. I've been a cop for 10 years since retiring from the military. Prior to my state passing a CCW law I gaves lots of honest citizens a pass when I found them carrying a gun and advocated for passage of CCW permits with my state representative when it was brought up for passage. With that being said, If I do a traffic stop on someone and I am not told that they are armed and have not yet learned that they have a CCW permit, things are going to get very interesting if I spot a gun that they are concealing from me. I may not know the person I've stopped and I certainly can't read their mind. I'll certainly apologize afterward if they check out but the whole thing could be prevented by simply letting me know that they are armed and have a CCW. If I'm told of their status during the initial contact I don't worry about it and they do not get hassled. Maybe CCW holders get grief during a traffic stop in other states but that generally is not the case in my area.
Old March 15, 2005, 02:36 AM   #35
chris in va

We're not required to notify here in VA but I certainly plan on giving my license, registration and CHP. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully I don't every get pulled over though.
Old March 15, 2005, 05:05 AM   #36
sparkycoldbrew

Thanks TLM225........My permit is in the mail. It was nice to hear that from you since I live in Arkansas too.
Old March 15, 2005, 09:42 AM   #37
Jbar4Ranch

I don't think Montana requires informing LE during a traffic stop about weapons in the vehicle or on your person, but I damn sure don't take my hands off the wheel until I disclose that info.

"Good afternoon, may I see your license and registration please?"

"Yes sir, but before I move, I would like to bring to your attention the Glock pistol on the passenger seat."
OR
"Yes sir, but before I move, I would like to disclose that I am legally carrying a Colt 1911 in a shoulder holster, left side."
OR
"Yes sir, but before I move, I would like to disclose that there is a Beretta 9mm in the glove box."

Then, I'll wait for his instructions before I take my hands off the wheel.

I don't think either of us would like the possible unintended consequences of reaching into the glove box for the registration, and pulling out a handgun instead. I know if I were in the officer's shoes, I would find it a bit disconcerting.

SASS 47015
Old March 15, 2005, 10:53 AM   #38
stephen426

When I was younger and even more stupid that I am now, I used to carry a pellet gun in the glove box. I thought of myself as a pretty good shot and that I could stop an attack by shooting the bad guy in the face or eyes. The very first time I got pulled over, I was super nervous and I forgot about the pellet gun. The with the officers standing next to the car, I opened the glove box to get the registration. Both of them drew their guns even though I slammed the glove box shut as soon as I saw the air gun inside. To make a long story short, I could have gotten myself shot for my stupidity.

Since then, I have graduated to real guns and have wisened up a little. I think I have told the police officer (almost) every time I've gotten stopped (and unfortunately my lead foot gets me stopped quite a bit) with different results.

1. I have been ordered out of the vehicle and patted down while the pollice ran the serial numbers, issued the ticket, and then had the guns returned.

2. I have been ordered out of the vehicle without being patted down, had the weapon removed from the vehicle and had it returned after I received the tickets.

3. I have had the officer tell me to just leave it where it was and just wrote up the ticket.

4. I have had the officer tell me to leave the gun where it was and let me off with a warning.

I always roll down the windows and stick my hands out. I tell any passengers to do the same. I haven't been shot yet so I guess I'm doing the right thing.
Old March 15, 2005, 11:53 AM   #39
jburtonpdx

stephan426

Whatever you did for

"4. I have had the officer tell me to leave the gun where it was and let me off with a warning."

I would suggeste you do the same thing everytime....
Old March 15, 2005, 12:06 PM   #40
Russ5924

In fl. you can carry a pistol in your car loaded as long as it is in a holster and it has to have a snap or in some type of box?????And you need no CCW,why do you think the BAD guy always picks on tourists.
Old March 15, 2005, 12:34 PM   #41
jerryd

Im in Ct. and you dont have to tell the officer you are carrying, but i do it anyway, makes the cop a little less edgy! Dont know if it pops up on the screen when they run your plates, but the pistol has to be concealed not in public view! Was stopped last year in one of those safety checks waited about 3mins for the State cop to come over, looked at the car and my wife and myself asked for liscense and registration and asked if any weapons in car told him pistol permit in wallet and pistol on right hip, said ok have a good day! So like i said maybe he already knew!
Old March 15, 2005, 12:57 PM   #42
Crimson Trace

"I always roll down the windows and stick my hands out. I tell any passengers to do the same. I haven't been shot yet so I guess I'm doing the right thing."

This is a not uncommon response for people who have been arrested at gunpoint or have outstanding warrants. Be prepared to be treated as such.

I like driver's hands on the wheel. Passengers on dash or in plain view.

-Z
Old March 15, 2005, 01:23 PM   #43
Joint/Strike

In TN you do not have to tell the officer that you are packing but I think it is a good idea to show your ccw license along with drivers license and registration. I would tell the officer if my gun was in center console and I had to reach for seatbelt so that I could get my wallet out.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own dwelling, his goods are safe." -[B]Luke 11:21
Old March 15, 2005, 01:44 PM   #44
MaNiFeSt

do you think having something like a small "NRA member" sticker on your rear window would be a good idea or a bad one? it seems like it would only help the situation.
Old March 15, 2005, 02:17 PM   #45
denfoote

In Arizona, you are not required to inform. However, you must produce the permit upon the request of an officer.
The officers always ask of you are carrying!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old March 15, 2005, 02:27 PM   #46
Edward429451

Quote:
do you think having something like a small "NRA member" sticker on your rear window would be a good idea or a bad one? it seems like it would only help the situation.
I doubt it would work in your favor. It would give thieves and /or LEO's probable cause to believe that a weapon was in the vehicle.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:09 PM   #47
skt666

not in VA, but i do when i get pulled over. each time i have told them they simply ask to see my permit and thats the end of it.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:25 PM   #48
Lt102

I tell them......My brother in-law is a NY State Trooper, and his thought on it is that it puts most officers at ease knowing that you are armed right away, instead of finding out about you having a gun farther into the encounter. I have nothing to hide if the LEO wants to waste his time on a search thats fine with me but, thats just me YMMV
Old March 15, 2005, 03:43 PM   #49
Edison Carter

I was pulled over in AZ.... he did not ask.

I was pulled over in OK... I was not aware of OK requirement to inform...
he also did not ask.

I have read so many cases where a driver informs the officer that he is
carrying, and the officer weirds out on him.

I'm still not convinced of the advisablitiy of introducing more STUFF
into a traffic stop if you don't have to.

EC
Old March 15, 2005, 04:56 PM   #50
Nimitz87

in Fl you obviously dont have to inform...but i think i would just so he doesnt freak out if i print, etc. whatever.

heres my question.

if i do tell them i have a CCW and carrying at the present time can they ask me to step out of the car and search it?....thats bull**** if they can.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Closed Thread