The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 27, 2002, 03:33 PM   #1
GunFool

AK or SKS for a newbie?

I am looking for a simpler, rugged alternative to the AR and Mini-14 style rifles. I have been considering the SKS because of its low cost, un-complicated operation and maintenance, and reputation as a tough, reliable rifle. I have no experience with AK style rifles but I have had other friends and shooters reccommend the AK as another possible alternative. I understand that both fire the same 7.62x39 cartridge with the AK having removeable magazines as opposed to a fixed internal. My questions are:

(1) How does the AK compare to the SKS in terms of ease of operation?

(2) How does the AK compare to the SKS in terms of cleaning and maintenance?

(3) In general, is teh AK design as tough and reliable as the SKS?

(4) Where can I find english AK manuals to download online?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!
Old December 27, 2002, 04:21 PM   #2
Zigokubasi

My vote is for the AK. It's a more modern design than the SKS, and about as reliable and efficient as semiautos get. Accuracy is going to be slightly worse than the SKS, more or less depending on the AK clone you get. In reference to your points:

1) Simpler, IMO. Rock the mag in, drop the safety, pull the charging handle, aim, fire, repeat 29 times.

2) Also simpler IMO, with the AK you just remove the mag, clear the chamber, push the rear tab in, pop off the dust cover, remove the recoil spring a guide rod, slide out the gas piston, bolt and carrier, and scrub away. It's easier than it sounds, actually.

3) *Ahem*...I would have to say it's more reliable than the SKS. AKs can take a serious beating and continue to function. Fill the receiver with dirt, pee on it, run it over, whatever. The only FTF I ever had was a dud round of cheap chinese ammo.

4) Try: http://www.gunmanuals.ch/manuals01.htm

Ziggy
Old December 27, 2002, 05:17 PM   #3
Chipperman

I think I would agree with zigokubasi on most points.

1. Both are pretty idiot proof designs. The SKS has a bolt hold open that the AK does not. That's one plus for the SKS.

2. Clean an AK.... Why?
Both are pretty easy, actually. The SKS bolt may be SLIGHTLY more complicated than the AK bolt. I think the average 5 year old kid could figure out how to work either design. (Which could be good or bad, depending on your point of view. )

3. I've never had a failure with either.
Old December 27, 2002, 05:31 PM   #4
GunFool

Thanks a bunch for the help so far folks!

Are AK magazines and accessories readily available online? If so, where are the reputable sites?

Is there anything that I should *avoid* while shopping for an AK? Such as poor quality manufacturers, countries-of-origin to avoid, good and bad magazines, etc?
Old December 27, 2002, 09:29 PM   #5
Knife_sniper

Go to

WWW.AK-47.NET

They have many rifle reviews.

When buying an AK, make sure its front sight is NOT "crooked"
This does ont really hurt the rifles accuracy, but a crooked sight is annoying. Also make sure the gas tube is not crooked either, its found above the barrel.

AK's are the best, as an owner of both, I would rather have the AK.
Old December 28, 2002, 09:43 AM   #6
GunFool

Ok Im sold on the AK.

Now what are the best 30 round magazines. And where can I find them online?
Old December 28, 2002, 11:37 AM   #7
Tropical Z

If you avoid the Romanian AK's (SAR's) you shouldnt have to worry about crooked sites or the whole gun looking like crap.Don't discount the 10 round Saiga AK's as they are made in THE Kalishnikov factory.I just got my third,and they are unbeatable AK values.If you want a hi-cap go with a VEPR.Its well worth the extra $150 youll spend on it instead of the Romanian garbage.
Saigas in 7.62x39 are at CDNN for $159 1-800-588-9500
www.robarm.com
www.eaacorp.com
Old December 28, 2002, 08:53 PM   #8
Chipperman

I would not say that you should avoid SAR's altogether, just examine carefully before buying. I have an SAR1 that I am very happy with (after refinishing the stock).

CDNN has AK mags on sale for $6.99 right now. Stock up.
Old December 29, 2002, 04:07 PM   #9
Zigokubasi

30 rounders are pretty easy to get still, what you should avoid is having to cough up $20-25 apiece from a local dealer. Order them out of Shotgun News or from CDNN and you'll pay the least and get the most. As for quality, to only ones I can speak for are the Chinese and Russian, and both were great. I've heard good and bad about the Bulgarian plastic mags, but the East German steel mags seem ok. Try and pay no more than $10 per mag.

Ziggy
Old December 29, 2002, 08:35 PM   #10
BudS

I have both!

My SKSs are set up for hunting, but at a moment's notice, I can remove the 5-rd. mag & insert a 30-rd. mag. My AK goes with me 'most everywhere as a SHTF weapon, with eight 30-rd. mags loaded w/25 rds ea., but at a moment's notice, I can insert a 5-rd. mag in it also and take it hunting!

Shop well and get one of each and HAVE FUN!
Old December 30, 2002, 12:29 AM   #11
Destructo6

About the only AK mag to avoid is the Chinese 7.62x39 Bakelite magazine. Shouldn't be a big problem, since most of these have asking prices in the $80 neighborhood as collector's pieces (POS, if you ask me).

Otherwise, every steel AK mag I own, European and Chinese, are built like the proverbial brick $#!+ house. You shouldn't have a problem, since finding a bad AK mag is rare.

Check Tapco and Clearview Investments for mag deals, too.

Keep all of them clean.
Old December 30, 2002, 01:28 AM   #12
MAKOwner

Having both I would also opt for the AK. Although for the price the SKS is inviting and is not a bad choice at all. It's just for most people that really want one of these what they really want is a full on AK...

I would straight up get a Romanian SAR1. You cannot beat it for the price (the Saiga is a neutered PC rifle with expensive mags, you can however modify them into decent AKs if you are down with that. Or they're good as is if you really don't care about having a true AK type rifle). The SARs aren't pretty but they work, and can be tinkered with to look great too. I've had several chinese AKs, and currently have a SAR1 and 2 and love them (both are 100% non-"crooked" too). Never going to get rid of them... Go to ak-47.net as someone else suggested. All the info you could ever need. Also be sure to check out this Romanian AK info page: http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/
Old December 30, 2002, 01:48 AM   #13
Tropical Z

Saiga mags are $18.99 at CDNN and are as good a mag as i've ever seen.Romanians may work,but they're still cheap and vastly inferior to ANY Russian AK you can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ak_receiver_comparison.jpg (105.9 KB, 216 views)
Old December 30, 2002, 02:34 AM   #14
Labuyo

Sorry to jump-in, but can the Saiga use AK mags? If not can it be coverted? Thanks!
Old December 30, 2002, 02:46 AM   #15
Tropical Z

You CAN convert AK hi-caps to work in a Saiga pretty easily,but ive never done it and it requires you to put some US made parts on the gun or else its illegal according to the Hitler-loving-freedom-hating-dopeheads at BA:barf: TF
Old December 30, 2002, 05:28 AM   #16
MAKOwner

The Romanian gun could only be considered inferior in cosmetics only, you would be hard pressed to have any malfunctions unless you got a real lemon (and then it would most likely be due to the added US made fire control parts which can be swapped for $30). They are commie mil-spec AKs other than the added US parts.

And a VEPR is more than just your run of the mill russian AK as pictured (and the Romanian either has cosmoline on it still or is the worst condition example someone could find, neither of mine look near that bad...)

As for the Saiga hi-cap conversion, check out the forums at ak-47.net in the build it yourself board. There is a post with pictures/steps to do it by a user by the of W. Should be ablke to find it easily using the search function. Making it take the actual magazine is pretty dirt simple, only a slight bit of filing on the mag catch and you have to add in a feedramp. Which is not too hard. The hardest part of the swap is the conversion to standard AK pistol grip stock setup so you can add enough US parts to be legal. I'm not sure if there is a way to add enough US parts without doing that... It's still not terribly hard at all if you are into tinkering with guns at all. I'm in the process of procurring a Saiga myself to mess around with, should be fun.
Old December 30, 2002, 09:29 AM   #17
ReadyOnTheRight

Aim Surplus has an SAR1 with a 10-round and high cap magazine for $280.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Rifles_1.html

They also sell more magazines and ammo.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old May 19, 2004, 11:44 AM   #18
Destro

Try this:

www.ohiorapifire.com:
www.fac.com
I have nothing but good reports onthese modestl(under $500) AKs.
Got FAL?
Got Rotty?
Old May 19, 2004, 12:44 PM   #19
Pesticidal

You may want to edit your links...
Old May 19, 2004, 01:42 PM   #20
12 Volt Man

Quote:
Aim Surplus has an SAR1 with a 10-round and high cap magazine for $280.
Ahhhh..... Those were good days. Almost a hundred bucks more now.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:26 PM   #21
Logistar

AK! The SKS is fine and costs less. I just think the AK is a lot more "fun". Buying both isn't a bad idea either.

I prefer to get my mags at gun shows as I will try them out for proper fit. Some mags tend to be a but tight and some a bit loose. It's no big deal but I started "testing" all the mags I buy after I had already bought several without doing so. (They all function fine.)

I went to a gun show a while back. The building was next to a hotel. I parked in a lot between them. There was a group of people exiting the hotel to go to their vehicles. I opened my trunk and pulled out the AK to take into the show to look for mags. The looks on the faces of those leaving the hotel was priceless!

Logistar
Old May 19, 2004, 03:13 PM   #22
Chipperman

Wow, it's wierd to look at stuff you wrote a year and a half ago. ...

I agree that the AK is more fun, but the SKS is a great rifle. Esp for a newbie.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:14 PM   #23
Marko Kloos

Y'know, I think I actually *prefer* the SKS over the AK, for several reasons.

The fixed internal magazine is just as quick to top off as an AK mag is replaced, and you don't have to worry about carrying mags or storing your empties.

In addition, the shorter fixed mag of the SKS lets you get much lower in the prone position, and it makes a dandy hand rest for off-hand shooting.

The SKS has four inches more barrel and sight radius, giving the 7.62x39 some added punch. SKS rifles also tend to be a little more accurate than AK-47s.

Lastly, you can get two good SKS rifles for the price of one AK-47, even if you consider a mediocre AK variant like a Romak.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:31 PM   #24
Moparmike

No offense Trop, but I just had to note the irony of:
Quote:
If you avoid the Romanian AK's (SAR's) you shouldnt have to worry about crooked sites or the whole gun looking like crap
coming from a man who touts the virtues of Hi-points.

LOL!!!!
4 guns and counting.

Requisite Quotes
Old May 19, 2004, 09:24 PM   #25
Dead

I always have trouble with failure to fire for my AK's, BUT it only happens when I run out of ammo to shoot... Damn it!