The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 7, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1
dispatcher

Armed in the woods

My wife and I are going to spend a few days in a secluded area in the Texas Hill Country shortly. I’m looking for recommendations on what guns to take with me. I’ll have my Ruger P95 (standard trip gun) and a GP100 for the cottage. She will have her Taurus 85.
Cosidering adding a rifle and a shotgun to the mix. Think that might be over doing it?
Old October 7, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Rasputin

what are you worried about running into, like camping kinda thing or?
Old October 7, 2007, 07:27 PM   #3
MyXD40

whenever I head up into the rocky mountains, I always take two handguns and a shotgun. And plenty of ammo (target shooting) in all my mags.
Old October 7, 2007, 07:47 PM   #4
fisherman66

I wouldn't expect to run into anything wild that poses a great threat in the hill country. Hogs will turn and run if they scent you and cougars don't usually run that far east. I'd take the GP100 for worst case scenario, but the odds you actually need for wild life are 10,000 to 1. Now, if there's a jail break in Huntsville.....
Old October 7, 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
jakeswensonmt

I'd take my GP100 too, perfect in-the-woods gun.
Old October 7, 2007, 09:48 PM   #6
HDTVSELLER

add a shotgun with some 00 buck. cause if you dont even though you will prob not need . you will at least be happy you took it with you to be on safe side.. but that is more stuff to carry thought ...
Old October 7, 2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

I have to second the shotgun with 00 buck...it's a nice close range equalizer for a wide variety of things just in case.

I was in the "country" in Marshall, TX...on about 500 acres helping with cows and so on and so on. I came across three wild hogs that did not take kindly to us being there (I think they were nested right on the fence line we were fixing), 2 rattle snakes that were a little more aggressive than I care for, and something else that I didn't really catch a good look at but it was feline-like and running fast as hell, luckily it was running away from us.

The shotgun helped me out with the snakes and the .40 cal on my hip stopped one hog and scared the others away (hadn't got out the shotgun yet, the snake encounter happened a little later)...we ate pretty well today despite having to talk at length with a local game warden who thought we were poaching or something.
Old October 7, 2007, 11:05 PM   #8
J. Parker

This topic has been beat to death on this and other websites. IMO, your GP-100 is just fine in "Texas hill country". Forget the MEGA MAGNUMS, ie 12 gauge pumps, S&W 500's, 44 magnum's with Grizzly loads, and the rest of the malarky. Your Ruger is fine. The most important thing? Have fun with your family.

FYI, if you want to "energize" your GP-100 visit www.doubletapammo.com or www.buffalobore.com. They have "woods loads" for your 357 magnum.
Old October 7, 2007, 11:06 PM   #9
jakeswensonmt

Can't take my own advice! Ten minutes ago I ran into that filthy raccoon that's been plagueing my front door, and all I had was my Kel Tec P11! If I had my GP100 I'd have greased that oversized rat. I'll get that varmint yet...
Old October 7, 2007, 11:12 PM   #10
gb_in_ga

From what I've seen in the Hill Country, I've found that the threats (other than the possibility of the 2 legged variety) are:

Rattlesnakes. Shotgun with bird shot or handgun with shot capsules are the best medicine for them, but even better is to just leave them alone. For the most part, if you leave them alone and don't do anything stupid, they'll leave you alone. Just watch your step and where you put your hands.

Feral Hogs. Rifle, shotgun (buckshot or slugs) or the .357 Mag with heavy solids are your best bet. Usually, they'll leave you alone if you do the same.

Feral Dogs. IMHO, they are the biggest threat of the 4 legged variety. They run in packs in some places in the Hill Country. They can be Bad News. I've seen what happens when they get livestock cornered, it isn't pretty. They kill for the sake of killing. In general, your standard SD loads in your handguns will suffice, but there's nothing to say that you wouldn't be well served with a long gun as well. Keep in mind that they are pack animals and aren't all that afraid of humans, and they can be aggressive. Where I've hunted in the past (in the vicinity of Junction, Tx -- Kimble County), "strange" (meaning, unknown) dogs were considered "Shoot On Sight".
Old October 7, 2007, 11:26 PM   #11
Merk_fmr8511

When I go into the woods here in Montana, I always have my S&W .357 loaded with 180 grain Federal hunting loads. I always feel safe.
Old October 8, 2007, 04:46 AM   #12
wnycollector

My camping/ hiking guns are either a SIG P220 loaded with DT 230gr FMJ-flat points or S&W 28-2 loaded with S&B 158gr JSP's or FMJ flat points. I carry an extra mag or 2 speed loaders. I feel pretty comfortable being able to deal with most 2 or 4 legged pests
Old October 8, 2007, 11:01 AM   #13
amprecon

I have relegated the .357 (and .44mag) to longarms. Not because of the recoil, but because of the massive report, it is extraordinary and why should I subject myself to that kind of abusive noise when there are other viable options out there in handguns.
.357 revolvers are mostly bought to be used as SD or woods guns. When you do need to use them you won't have time to put on the necessary ear protection. Let me tell you from personal experience, it is painful, and that's when it's used outdoors. If you need the power of a .357 or a .44mag, save your ears, bring a shotgun.
Old October 8, 2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Fremmer

Quote:
I’ll have my Ruger P95 (standard trip gun) and a GP100 for the cottage. She will have her Taurus 85.
Cosidering adding a rifle and a shotgun to the mix. Think that might be over doing it?
Yeah, I do. But hey, take whatever you want to take if it'll make you feel better.

Personally, I'd just take a .22 rifle (or a .22 pistol -- might be easier to carry during the day) for some fun plinkin'. I wouldn't want to have to carry or worry about the rest of the guns. JMHO, and have a great trip!
Old October 8, 2007, 01:39 PM   #15
Yellowfin

I would take an entirely different configuration if expecting unfriendly situations. Whatever pistol you want for snakes and a .30-30 or even light weight .30-06 for the larger stuff. No need for anything more complicated than that.
Old October 8, 2007, 02:01 PM   #16
john in jax

A wide variety of ammunition choices makes your shotgun useful in wide range of situations:
SLUGS - - for really big dangerous animals
00 BUCK - - for med to large dangerous animals
6 or 8 shot - - great for snakes and other little thing you might not want around.
12ga Flares - - turns your shotgun into a signaling device.
Old October 8, 2007, 02:15 PM   #17
DougO83

haha...wow...

all I carry is a .38 spl. and maybe my 20 ga. Dropped feral pigs w/ the .38 before, sure I could do it again. Whoever said hogs turn and run when they smell you has never seen 'em, they like to attack, but shoot one or two of them and they all turn tail. As far as big cats, you might see one or two, but they tend to be scared of people, provided you aren't provoking them or you don't startle them. Snakes can be taken out with a machete or big pocket knife. My uncle used to step on them with his boots when we'd be out in the Uvalde area. Other varmints, I would just use a .22. No sense wasting good ammo on critters. BTW, where are you camping in the hill country that allows carry anyhow? Most of what I've seen are privately or state funded parks and guns are a no-no. 'Sposed to contact the game dept if attacked.

Matt 6:33
Old October 8, 2007, 03:53 PM   #18
support_six

Although I do not live in Texas, I spend a lot of time in the woods of Utah, Idaho, and Washington. I "always" carry at least a handgun. Mountain lions are a possibility but humans are much more a danger than the cats. I motorcycle a lot in the hills so a handgun makes more sense. I've carried a 9mm semiauto, a .40S&W semiauto, and a .38Sp from time to time. I did show my Beretta 96FS to a couple of "good ole' boys" who came after us with ax handles when they noticed we'd discovered their deer poaching evidence. I'm glad they didn't have any long guns in the truck, they just drove off, very fast.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:28 PM   #19
fisherman66

Quote:
Whoever said hogs turn and run when they smell you has never seen 'em
I have plenty of experience that says otherwise. I'm not talking about a wounded hog.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:44 PM   #20
rugernut

im 52 and lived in texas all my life. been deer hunting every year since ive been 16 and a 357 will do you well
Old October 8, 2007, 05:51 PM   #21
azredhawk44

My load-out for SWMBO and I when we go camping is:

1. 4" Redhawk on me, but a GP100 is every bit as reasonable in your situation.
2. 3" sp101 on her, but the Taurus 85 is again very reasonable.
3. Winchester 30-30 levergun in the truck.

The levergun usually never even makes an appearance in camp, and I have yet to drop hammer on anything meaning me harm while outdoors.
Old October 8, 2007, 06:09 PM   #22
tulsamal

The wife and I were living in Hawaii (25th ID) when something really awful happened to a couple of nature campers. I think I've suppressed the details but I remember something about tying and beating with a pipe and then gang raping the wife while the dying husband watched. Something like that.

So when I go FAR away from any possibility of outside help, I mainly worry about my fellow man. Nearly everybody you meet out there is as friendly as possible but always be careful. There are human predators who love the idea of getting some people all alone far from civilization.

When you figure in toughness, punch, and relative lightweight, I usually carry a Glock 17 when I go hiking deep into the woods. Around my 90 acres is a different story!

Gregg
Old October 9, 2007, 08:50 PM   #23
dispatcher

Feral Dogs

gb_in_ga - Hey- thanks guy! That was something I have never encountered or thought of. I've shot hogs with a .357. The 9mm and .38 are for two legged varmints. Feral dogs- that adds the 12 gauge, I'm thinking #4 shot? We're driving, so no big deal in packing it in.
Old October 10, 2007, 06:45 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

I agree the 2 legged type of preditor is likely your most dangerous, your life can be in serious danger if you stumble upon a poucher, someone growing "weed" on government ground out in the sticks, or a meth lab, or moon shine shack... let alone kinds of things TUSAMAL just listed...

feral dogs looks like it could be one of the most realistic 4 legged threats... I personally in the past would have been comfortable with my GP-100 with a few speed loaders, or my 44 mag snubbie, but today would likely carry my 10 mm Witness... if your wife is carrying as well, I'd think you'd have plenty of fire power, & an element of suprise, as likely any BG's wouldn't be expecting the MRS. to be carrying as well...

... if you feel undergunned, always bring what you'd like, but me personally ( if I were not shooting recreationally, or hunting ), I'd be comfortable with a single handgun, 2 if the wife is carrying is a plus...
Old October 10, 2007, 12:34 PM   #25
Stumpy16076

Throw in a good pump 12 Ga. shotgun with buckshot and some #6 or larger shells and you should be good to go. #4's should be fine on feral dogs at close range. Depending on the "lay of the land" you may want to take a rifle if over 50 yard shots may be required. If you are in alone cottage in the woods you will have little worry about excessive range, penetration, etc. BUT if in a more crowded community I would stick to the shotgun with smaller shot (like #6's or #4's) and avoid using a rifle. JMHO