The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1
predecessor

Mid-Sized Metals

Looking for your preference on a mid-sized metal (preferably steel, but alloy qualifies) framed pistol chambered in 9MM. Not interested in compact or full-sized frames or other chamberings for this discussion.

The Beretta Cougar, Browning Hi-Power, CZ75 Compact and/or P01, Magnum Research Baby Eagle, and the Sig 228 come to the top of mind. What else to consider and which of these listed do you prefer and why? Looking forward to your opinions!
Old April 13, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Webleymkv

I like the CZ-75 because it fits my hand quite well. Of course I'd probably also like a Hi-Power or Baby Eagle as they have a similar feel to the CZ, but sadly I've never had the opportunity to shoot either.

Old April 13, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
chris in va

Kahr T9.

I'm quite impressed with my new K9. All steel, balances well, feels substantial. Very simple in operation with no safeties or hammers, just a steady 6# DAO pull. I think you'd like the larger T9.

The CZ 75 series is very nice too, so really just personal preference. The triggers don't impress me though.
Old April 13, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

The SIG P239 fills the bill you described perfectly. A mid-sized pistol in stainless steel, and reliability is its middle name which, for me, is enough of a reason to consider it.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:24 AM   #5
NWCP

Look at an HK P7PSP, or P7M8. A fixed 4" barrel in a concealable mid-size frame.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:52 AM   #6
bdb benzino

Try a tanfoglio or one in compact, the wonder finish is awesome, another great cz design is the AR 24
Old April 14, 2009, 02:21 AM   #7
BillCA

I'm trying to grasp your definition of "mid-sized" pistol.
You exclude "full size" and "compact" models. Since there are some "full size" guns with 4-inch barrels as well as 5-inch barrels the mid-size term begs for more definition. For instance, I wouldn't consider the Browning HP to be "mid-sized".

My votes for a "mid-size" pistol (my definition) are as follows:

Colt 9mm Combat Commander

The steel frame of the Colt really dampens recoil making it easy to return to target. It's the familiar 1911 pattern, only the hole in the barrel is smaller. Especially good for those used to carrying the .45 version and have lots of time vested in the 1911 platform.

Slightly smaller but much lighter at 26oz is the S&W Model 39-series (39-2, 439, 549, 39xx).

S&W Model 39-2, 8+1 9mm pistol

The aluminum alloy frame, steel slide, curved backstrap and decent sights make this a fun gun to shoot. This single-stack pistol is very reliable and became nearly bullet-proof in the -2 and later models. These guns are essentially a Walther P-38 action in an Americanized pistol configuration. The P-38 was noted for its ruggedness and reliability and the S&W pistols are similar. They are also accurate, but not match-target accuracy.

The CZ-P01 gets my nod as a very good mid-sized pistol. It's dimensions make it well balanced and good in the hand, with no bulky feeling. The P01 has a good following and is on a short-list of desireable "next purchases".

Old April 14, 2009, 02:59 AM   #8
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
The SIG P239 fills the bill you described perfectly. A mid-sized pistol in stainless steel, and reliability is its middle name which, for me, is enough of a reason to consider it.
I Agree with Mal. It's smaller than the P228 but not by much. HK P2000 is another good one or the P30.....The T9 might have one of the longest grips I have ever seen on a handgun. It looks like a Boomerang.
Old April 14, 2009, 06:09 AM   #9
predecessor

Quote:
I'm trying to grasp your definition of "mid-sized" pistol.
You exclude "full size" and "compact" models. Since there are some "full size" guns with 4-inch barrels as well as 5-inch barrels the mid-size term begs for more definition. For instance, I wouldn't consider the Browning HP to be "mid-sized".
Fair question. Primarily the size differential I'm talking about translates into the grip frame and the overall dimensions of the pistol. In general, pistols in 9MM or above can be classified into four main overall size categories (by me anyway ): Full (Large), Mid (Medium), Compact (Small), and Pocketish. For me, full size pistols usually have 5" barrels, large grips, and dimensions that discourage me from carrying one frequently. The Beretta 92, CZ 75, and Springfield XDM's are good examples. Mid frame guns tend to sport 4" barrels, shave a little mag capacity due to smaller grip frames, and make occasional carry doable. These fit my hands beautifully. For me, the BHP does fit in this category. I would classify BillCA's beautiful Colt as such as well. Commander sized 1911's fit much better in my hand.

Thanks for all of the input so far!
Old April 14, 2009, 06:59 AM   #10
oldandslow

predecessor, 4/14/09

So you're looking for a mid-sized metal framed pistol for occasional carry use. I have several of the ones you mentioned and several more that might work for you. I have medium-large size hands (glove size 8) so I think I understand your preferences.

First- Sigs. I have the 228 and others. It's a great pistol but too fat in the grip for my likings for concealed carry (I carry IWB). I prefer my 239 to the 228 for carry.

CZ-75 Compact in 9mm- a truly great pistol. I have had two. The first was stolen out of my car but I liked it so much that I bought another one. It is accurate, reliable and really points well. The down side is it can be somewhat heavy to carry, but not bad with the right holster. Take a look at the CZ-75 PCR, essentially the same pistol but with an alloy frame.

Beretta Cougar- I have the minicougar in .45. It's also a great pistol but also a bit fat in the slide. Aftermarket parts are sometimes hard to find but I do carry mine a bit. It shoots extremely well.

SW 3rd generation pistols- take a look at the 6906, one of the truly great carry pistols. Most can be found used on Gunbroker or Auctionarms at a reasonable price. It is alloy framed, holds 12 rounds of 9mm, is accurate and reliable and carries great. One step up is the 5903 or 5906. These are a bit bigger with a 15 round capacity, the 5903 being alloy framed.

That is about all I can think of at the moment. Good luck, half the fun in shooting is the quest for a new pistol.

best wishes- oldandslow