Old April 18, 2024, 04:48 PM   #1
Lavan

Bring back the tapered barrels!

I'd like to get a 1950 M25 S&W.

NOT the 1955 "HEAVY TARGET BARREL !!"
Old April 18, 2024, 05:48 PM   #2
Pumpkin

Yes, tapered barrels are dead sexy.
I would swap (maybe) my 625 JM for a 625 Mountain Gun.
Probably better to just add a Mountain Gun.
Old April 18, 2024, 06:06 PM   #3
Bob Wright

Since I have, or had, every worthwhile, to me, Smith & wesson, that would be fine with me. But I fail to appreciate you desire for pencil slim barrels. My own druthers are for heavy barrels, even full lug barrels.

Orn of my special pet Smiths, a 5" Full Lug Model 29:

Bob Wright
Old April 18, 2024, 06:36 PM   #4
Lavan

I had the heavy target bbl M25.

Didn't care for the extra weight.
Old April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I too am a fan of tapered barrels and no underlug. This just seems like such a classic look. I also would love to find a nice older pencil barrel Smith, just so elegant.
Old April 18, 2024, 06:47 PM   #6
44caliberkid

I’m betting the tapered barrels were discontinued because of increased machining expense. Love that 5 inch 29!
Old April 18, 2024, 06:52 PM   #7
Pumpkin

You may be correct, think about all the machining on a M27, of course, look at the finished product.
Old April 18, 2024, 07:59 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

Lets see some pics of tapered barrels!
Old April 19, 2024, 01:10 PM   #9
bamaranger

tapers

Lugged barrels, and heavy barrels are great to shoot. But if you carry one all day, perhaps even combined with other gear on a belt, every ounce begins to count. Back when nearly everybody took a revolver afield, and the 6-gun was the duty gun for most, I covered a lot of ground toting either an issue L-frame or a personal N-frame for my own jaunts. Like Skeeter, I was pretty convinced that the N-frames were big heavy guns, the K-frame carried better, but was not available in big bore......and Elmer and Ross were .44 advocates and I was too.

I jumped at the chance to buy an early production .44 Mtn. Gun in '88, priced right ($350) and have kept it since. A handful to shoot with full house ammo, I ran a simple 240/LSWC load for GP at 1000 fps and a 240 half-jacket SWC load a bit faster for more serious applications (deer). Just like Ross stated in his article on the original, that sufficed for most all my revolver shooting. It needs a trimmer grip and the Speer bullet I used is long since discontinued but that was its only flaws.

I called on a .45 version for sale, which would have been even a wee bit lighter, but did not follow through as I just did not want to start with another cartridge. To this day I do not own a .45 Colt, but should have bought that .45 Mtn Gun regardless. The Mtn Gun is a just a wee bit lighter than my Hwy Patrolman, due to bigger bore and chambers and when I get the urge to carry a bigbore wheelgun again, the Mtn Gun answers the call.

Recently, I noted on Gunbroker that Ross Seyfried's original Mtn Gun, the one appearing in the article in "Guns and Ammo" was for sale, along with a letter of povenance from Seyfried himself. Asking price was $3500 if I recall (sure could be wrong) and it ran for several months before disappearing.
Old April 19, 2024, 01:48 PM   #10
Jim Watson

A friend came across some .45 barrels and used them to convert .357s to .45 LC.
Two were tapered 1950s, one a straight 1955. He fitted them to M27s and M28s and had Bob Snapp rechamber the cylinders. The tapered barrels and big holes gave a lively balance, still enough mass for the ammo. The heavy barrel handled recoil of the big loads better.

My only .45 revolver is a sawn off M25-2 (twice!) for cliploading ACP in IDPA.
I failed to get one of the M625 Springfield Armory Commemoratives with 4" tapered barrel. I know a guy who carries one, he has a particular holster that makes it ride well.
Old April 29, 2024, 10:07 PM   #11
rodfac

I'll agree that I'd prefer the 1950 Smith's slender bbl. to the '55's heavy weight, just for the comfort factor when carrying. My 1955 balances fairly well in the hand but I have a distant memory of a friend's 1950 that felt better in the hand and hung just as steady in offhand. Below are a cpl of my slim bbl'd Smiths.

Here's one of mine a 4th variation of Smith's Hand Ejectors in .32-20.

And another, a 67-1 turn-in from Louisville Pd.

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 30, 2024, 09:51 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

I like the straight barrels.

But if I crossed paths with the right used Smith with a tapered bbl, I wouldn't hesitate grabbing it.
Old May 1, 2024, 01:58 AM   #13
radom

I like the looks and the ease of carrying the taper barrels but run a box of rem 180 grain .44 mag out of one and OUCH vs the non taper ones.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:02 AM   #14
NWPilgrim

Bring back the tapered barrels!

I’ve had both but after trading off some, the one I will never let go is my M29 Mountain Gun. A sweet gun to handle and shoot. Longer and heavier is nice at the range to an extant. Add in carrying and the MG rules for me. Plus the MG is round butt which I prefer.

I probably should get a 10mm for woods use, but having the MG makes that harder to justify another caliber setup and supply at my age.

I agree with the OP that it is a great loss to not have tapered barrel as an off the shelf option!