The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 7, 2009, 02:32 PM   #201
Piper Cub

Just got a case of 900 rounds of Yugo 8MM from Sportsmans Guide. for $299 delivered. Got it 3 days after I ordered it too. Next i need some more 30-06
Old March 7, 2009, 05:35 PM   #202
poppy

I didn't want to start another thread on ammo, so here is my Wally World report.

Today, Walmo still had some Winchester Xpert HV 22's for $12.97. I don't like the non-jacketed stuff in general but was not about to pay $16.97 for the Federal bulk pack even tho it has 50 more rounds.

At the end of Jan. the Federal was still $13.47.

Bought some 9mm Blazer brass for $8.97 (box of 50) about a month ago. The clerk didn't even know they had it until I asked what the boxes on the floor were. They haven't had any Blazer in any caliber since.

Got some Federal 100rd packs of .223 for $39.97 about a week ago. Again the clerk didn't know they were in until I asked about the boxes on the floor.

All of the above was from my "city" Walmart. I will check on my "country" WM tomarrow.
Old March 7, 2009, 06:32 PM   #203
HappyGunner

What weight bullet was the .223 they were selling?
Old March 7, 2009, 06:47 PM   #204
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am getting reports of signs in wal-mart limiting folks to one box of .22 ammo...
Brent
Old March 7, 2009, 10:11 PM   #205
Jacobie

The Wal-mart that I stopped at tonight had plenty of 9mm, I bought 8 boxes and the last box of .40 that they had. They probably had over 50 boxes of 9mm though.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:12 PM   #206
Beentown71

Anyone have an in with the manuf. companies (someone who works there)? We are getting ammo in everywhere around me now. The only thing that is still lacking is .223 It can be found but marked up.

It just seems that a month ago 9mm and 45 was scarce. Now I can go it at any of my local dealers. Walmart is still selling out quickly but they have the best price (Blazer 9mm $8.97 a box, 100rd box of .223 for 39.97 a box 55gr). It seems as if the supply is starting to get better. Any thoughts? Or have I been REALLY lucky.

Beentown
Old March 8, 2009, 12:31 AM   #207
DaxE

Went on an Ammo Run Today

Hello all.

I do not do a lot of posting but I read a lot. I have been seeing all the advice about stock pilling ammo and it got me to thinking. So, today I decided to make an AMMO RUN.

I went to every place with in a couple of hours drive today and bought all the .22 lr, 9mm and .44 Magnum I could find. I did not find as much as I wanted, but it will suffice.

I ended up with 2500 .22 lr, 600 9mm, all different types, and 200 .44 magnum. It was kind of funny, As I was checking out at Bass Pro Shops, of all places, I had grabbed the last of their .22 lr bulk, There was a guy in there with his kid looking for some so they could go shooting tomorrow, and all I could thing is, damn…I am sure glad I got there before them!

While I was at a small gun shop I noticed they had a used G17 in the case. The price was good so I picked it up. I also grabbed a few large ammo cans and stopped by the hardware store and got some silicone.

When I got home I spent a couple of hours packing all my ammo and new to me G17 in the ammo cans. I waited till dark, cause all the best things happen after dark, went in the backyard found a suitable place to make my cache and marked it with my gps….Hey you never know when you might have to come back to it and what all could have changed. Then proceeded to dig a 3 feet deep whole to fit my investment.

Now I sit here wanting to Thank all of you for talking me into getting this ammo before we caused the prices of this stuff to go beyond what I could afford .I am now satisfied that I am prepared for when the SHTF.

Thanks,

Dax
Old March 8, 2009, 12:53 AM   #208
FyredUp

Um, Ha Ha Ha. You are a funny guy.

Seriously, anyone at this point burying guns or ammo might want to consider therapy. A little less panic buying may drop prices don again on both guns and ammunition.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:56 AM   #209
FyredUp

sorry double post
Old March 8, 2009, 01:17 AM   #210
jesus5150

Yeah, stockpiling is cool but burying sounds a bit over zealous. If you're that worried, I would (and did) build a Survival Kit (or Bug out bag) With everything you need to stay alive in the event of a catastrophe. I built mine for when I go camping. If i get lost, I KNOW I can live like a king for a week on my supplies, or keep a small group of people at least breathing for a few days. Now, I built my kit to save me from the elements, and keep me warm and fed in the event that I get lost... I'm sure i could modify it for the Government, the Russians, or the Zombies... But the point is, it makes more sense then Burying your weapons... But that's my opinion.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:12 AM   #211
Dingoboyx

G'day from down under

Dont loose or break your gps Hey, what if the zombies shoot down the gps satelites as part of the catastrophy? better go mark it with a big X
Old March 8, 2009, 07:36 AM   #212
Tom2

Posting next year-"How do you remove green stuff from ammo that was buried in the back yard?" "Best way to remove mud from a Glock?" And I hope you are proud of yourself for depriving that youngster of the joys of plinking with a .22 with his dad. You just ruined a great memory of a child!
Old March 8, 2009, 07:57 AM   #213
mrt949

News Flash Ammo Sniffing Dog's Looking For Buried Ammo .
Old March 8, 2009, 08:22 AM   #214
blume357

Daxe had me until he/she got to the buried ammo can

in the back yard. Must have one of those govmeant GPS's that are good to within a couple inches.

of course a little light came on when the father and son looking for ammo had to leave with out any.... what self respecting gun owner / ammo hoarder would let them drive off with out some ammo?

"Ammo Run" wasn't that a country song?
Old March 8, 2009, 09:47 AM   #215
jlj676

What are you getting prepared for?
Old March 8, 2009, 10:57 AM   #216
lomaxanderson

schwew..

...and She thought I was bad ....gotta let the wife read this one....I would be willing to bet a good dog would hit on the ammo if They were searching the yard ....but up in the trees is harder to smell...

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old March 8, 2009, 11:21 AM   #217
fatboy02

Isnt it going to be hard to retrieve your ammo in a SD gunfight from the cover of your house when you are in your SHTF situation and you run out of ammo. I don't think that the zombies or commies are going to let you call a time out to retrieve yout burried goodies.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:23 AM   #218
jgcoastie

That's kinda cold man, making the dad and his kid go home empty handed?

You'd be better off to buy a normal, meduim sized ammo selection from month to month like most of us do. Only buying what you'll be shooting. Now I'm all for having a little tucked away for the SHTF scenario, but everyone going out and buying ammo in bulk is what's driven the prices up so much in the past year or so.

If you're really worried about how to stockpile ammunition, I would suggest investment in a reloading setup. Also, I'd go dig up all the stuff you just buried, take it to the range and enjoy it.

It's not healthy to go gorge yourself at McDonalds, likewise it is not healthy for our great sport when people go out and stockpile ammunition, spending their ammo budget for the next ten years on ammo that's never going to get used. It'll probably be thrown out by your grandkids when they're going through your stuff long after we're dead and gone.

Buy a decent amount, save a little, shoot a little, reload it. Repeat cycle.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:24 AM   #219
Baba Louie

Muahahaha. Great use of irony in context of current situation.

Truly.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old March 8, 2009, 11:28 AM   #220
protectedbyglock

Hey op, go check your hole.
Yep, that's right, it's empty. BWAHAHAHA!!!
It's all in my backyard now!!
Old March 8, 2009, 11:42 AM   #221
chopz

allowing fear to dictate one's actions is rarely a good idea.

are there really people here suggesting hoarding ammo?
Old March 8, 2009, 11:50 AM   #222
Willie Lowman

good job on getting caught up in the panic buying and depriving some kid a chance to shoot with his dad. jerk.

i hope you didn't test fire that gun before you buried it.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:06 PM   #223
armabill

Ah, do you think that they, whoever they are, are going to give you the time to use your GPS and dig up your guns.?

And then load them.

An over reaction to a non-existent problem.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:09 PM   #224
Mello2u

DaxE, if you are truly concerned about things getting so bad you might need to stealthily access your stash; have you stored enough water and food?

chopz,
Hoarding is a meaningless word like greed or gouging. One person's hoarding is another person's prudent action. At what point does prudent storage become hoarding? Is 1000 rounds of ammo hoarding? Is it 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000.

Some liberals consider it greed for a taxpayer to want to pay less than 50% of their income in taxes. Some people consider it gouging for Exxon to make a 10% profit margin.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old March 8, 2009, 12:14 PM   #225
alloy

I detect dry humor.

Tags
9mm , academy