The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 23, 2010, 06:55 AM   #1
pier-rat

load size

How much powder should I use with a Traditions Kentucky rifle?
Old June 23, 2010, 07:11 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Load Chart

Their web site says that 100 Gr. is a Max charge for a .50 Cal . I would start at 60 Grs. and let the application dictate from there . If you are just target shooting , light loads are the ticket . For hunting you would probably want to got with a heavier load .
Old June 23, 2010, 07:15 AM   #3
jhenry

This needs to be posted in the blackpowder section. That being said, we will need to know quite a bit more than what you have posted. Are you using a roundball? What caliber is the rifle? What do you intend to shoot? What type of powder are you using? Even with all of that information, load development is going to be the key, as is specific ball diameter, patch thickness, patch construction, type of powder, loading technique, type of lube, and cleaning.

Do you have a factory information pamphlet? This would give you an upper limit charge for the gun. My own experience tells me that all other things being equal, a roundball hits an accuracy sweetspot with a thrown charge slightly over the balls diameter, and then again at slightly under twice the diameter. IE: with a 45 caliber ball, around 45 grains and then again at somewhere around 70 to 80 grains. Round ball guns are funny creatures though, and are very individual things, even mass produced ones. You may want to pick up a copy of Lyman's blackpowder Handbook as a good starting point.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:30 AM   #4
pier-rat

I got it at a yard sale,so I don't know much about it. The guy gave me .49 caliber round balls with it, cloth patches, and pyrodex, I don't have it on me, so I can't tell you any more.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
horseman308

If you got .490 roundballs, then the odds are that it's a .50 rifle. Jhenry noted, there are lots of variables. Do you know if it is a percussion lock or a flint lock? That will determine whether or not the Pyrodex will work very well. Pyrodex just wasn't designed for flintlocks, but it will usually work well enough in percussion locks.

In my .50 flintlock, I have found that a charge of 55 grains (by volume) is the best all-around charge. I don't want to overwhelm you with extra info if you aren't used to shooting blackpowder. Think about it like reloading cartridges. Every gun has its sweetspot. You just have to find it, and it can take lots of experimenting.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:53 AM   #6
jrothWA

Google the website for: National Muzzleloading Rifle Association

FIRST, take a long wood dowel ease it down the barrel and mark where the barrel end is. remove and lay it along side the barrel.
IF that rod end doesn't line up/equal to where the cap go or the cross-hole of the frizzen (Flintlock) is, but the short about 1".

YOU GOT A LOAD IN THAT BARREL. CALL A SMITH AND GET IT OUT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE!

They should have links to your state as to instructors for muzzle loading.
See if tranditional has a webite and get an manual.

We nwwd to know the caliber, (Might be .50, because of the .49 ball),
but what is it condition, any rust, sign of not too good of care. maybe take to gunsmith to pull the breech plug and look and the end of barrel where charge sit, is there sign of hevy rust and pitting? Might have a weaken barrel.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:03 AM   #7
pier-rat

I'm sorry, yes it is .50 caliber, it's a traditions rifle, I wrote them, they say it's a Kentucky rifle from the 1990s, which I have my debuts about, I believe this is the gun:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/es...uctCode=R24008

It is in very good condition, there is no rust, it is clean, and very well taken care of.

My problem is, I know nothing about muzzle loaders, but really want to shoot this thing, i am deciding to sell or keep, I got it for $100, so I'll make a profit.

PS:there is no load, I checked when I got it with the ram rod.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:34 AM   #8
kraigwy

I'm not much of a muzzle loader shooter but I had a buddy that was Darn good at it.

What he told me, regarding any BP muzzle loader, is to take the right powder for a given caliber, i.e. Fg FFg FFFg, and load what you know is more then you need.

Take some news paper, lay it out in front of you. Lay down and shoot the rifle. Whats gonna happen, is you are gonna have a bunch of unburnt powder on the paper after you shoot. Back off the powder charge until you no longer get any unburnt powder.

This gives you a starting point, now tweak the load up or down to get the accuracy you desire.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071