The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 06:21 AM   #1
SilentSoul

870 barrel

I have another barrel for my 870, its rifled and has a "cantilever" scope mount..

I don't want to use any sort of optics on it, but it has no open sights, i have just sort of stuck it in a closet because of that, and its brand new

i would like to remove it and stick some sort of sight on the front, maybe one of those "universal" shotgun sights glued onto the end, if that will work.. i think it will obscure the sight picture if i don't remove it, i cant see any signs of it being welded(soldered) on, it has a elongated hole where the mount itself fit, unbolting it reveled it was also held in place with really strong epoxy like stuff, the hole was filled with it, i cant tell if the whole thing is held in place by the epoxy or not, some slight discoloration inside the hole when i finally got all the crap removed, a sight of heat it looks like

If removing it easily is not an option.. is there any sort of sight that is made to bolt onto these bases that i am unaware of? i just want some way to get iron sights on this barrel, without a gunsmith, any suggestions would be welcome

i can try to get a picture of the base if need be

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 26, 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
dropthehammer

Why not just trade the barrel for what you want? I have some with rifled sights, but I don't think they are rifled bores and I do not know if they are parkerized or blued, I would have to check. PM me if you are interested. I am going out of town today , be back Sunday evening.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
zippy13

Hammer's right, if you don't want that barrel there are slugsters who'd love to have it. You didn't say, do you want your open sight barrel smooth or rifled?
Old March 26, 2009, 11:32 AM   #4
rem870hunter

i have a fully rifled barrel w/open sights for sale in the buy-sell-trade section. 20" long 12 gauge 3" chamber. standard model 870 express.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Pahoo

Gees!!!
I think I'd trade it off or sell and get what you really want. Your barrel is more desireable to most folks that want to step up.

Now, I read what you said about optics but around $50.00 you might consider a Red-Dot. It's almost like not having optics cause there is no magnification to get in your way. Later as you wish, you might want to put a scope on it but I suspect you would stick with the Red-Dot. They work great on this application and I assure you that you can follow running deer with it, just like open sights and in low light, even better. Just a suggestion !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 27, 2009, 05:45 AM   #6
SilentSoul

Sorry about not stating exactly what i wanted

I want the keep this barrel, i have been shooting sabot slugs through my smooth bore with a rifled choke for quite a while, but i would like to do it the proper way, feels like needlessly limiting myself, trading it crossed my mind.. but it has some sentimental value to me, strange as that may sound sense iv kept it in a closet for so long, and its just a barrel

I have heard a lot of bad things about red-dots on shotguns, i have no personal experience with them on anything except a .22, and never really bothered to research the truth much, just what i hear from people that say they tried it, but i suppose it depends on the type you buy, im sure some are designed to stand up to the recoil and shock, just as shotgun scopes are

after some more checking and closer inspection, i dont think it can be removed.. seems as though it is welded/soldered on, i guess i will look at other options now, either the red-dot or similar route, or possibly making a rear sight that will bolt in place, i have the metal working tools required to do so if need be

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 27, 2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Pahoo

If you already own a Red-Dot on a .22, just install it on the 870 barrel and try it out for yourself. I had one on a 12Ga. 1100, smooth bore and at the ranges I typically shoot, was right on, held up and the only problem was that the polarized filter would rotate on me. That was BFO (before Fibre optics).
Let me assure you that a good Red-Dot, will hold up and once you program yourself to using it, you will like it. ...
Good luck and .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 27, 2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Spelin
Old March 27, 2009, 01:23 PM   #8
rem870hunter

ok, you have a cantilever smooth bore barrel that uses (rem) choke tubes??

do you want a smooth or rifled barrel with open sights on it??
Old March 27, 2009, 03:34 PM   #9
SilentSoul

I have a smooth bore barrel on my gun at the moment, with a rifled choke for sabot slugs, it has open sights

I have another barrel thats fully rifled with the scope mount, i want to put open sights on it somehow as well, unless i decide to try a red-dot, the one i have on my .22 wont fit the cantilever mount, it is not wide enough at the mounting base

the purpose of my post, was to see if anyone knew weather or not the base could be removed, if its glued on with some sort of epoxy, or if its welded on, and if there was a rear sight thats designed to bolt onto this base, rather than the cantilever mount (a long shot i know)

sorry for any confusion

Old March 27, 2009, 09:27 PM   #10
rem870hunter

ok. there is no open sights that can be mounted on a cantilever barrel that i know of. a red dot,scope or holosight is all that i can think of. i haven't heard of anyone removing the cantilever mount from a barrel. not sure if it can be done. it might be. so far it looks like if you want a rifled barrel with open sights you'll have to buy one with them on it.