The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 17, 2000, 11:22 PM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Picked up 500 rounds as an alternative to Fiocchi. Should have stayed with Fiocchi: PMP has more of a muzzle flash and, coming out of a Glock 17, a shower of sparks! Really freaking annoying and conductive to flinching.

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://dd-b.net/RKBA
Old August 18, 2000, 09:37 AM   #2
Big Al

Oleg,

I'm surprised that you've had trouble with the PMP stuff - I ordered 1000 rounds a couple of moths ago and it works really well in my Glock 19. To be honest, it's really quite accurate; way more accurate than the UMC crap from Wally World and it's more accurate than the last 1000 rounds of S&B I had. It's a bit milder than the S&B stuff, but it seems to be more accurate and it's WAY cleaner. I've never noticed any exhorbitant muzzle flash or sparks from the PMP stuff - mabye you got a bad batch.

P.S. have you tried the NAA guardian finer extensions on you P32 yet?

AL

------------------
Glock 19
S&W 629 Classic
KelTec P32

"Oh yeah? Well I talk LOOOUDLY! And I carry a BIIIGGER stick! And I'll use it, too." -Yoesemite Sam
Old August 18, 2000, 09:37 AM   #3
Matt VDW

I've shot a box or two of the PMP and the flash hasn't bothered me. As cheap as it is, I'm not going to complain!
Old August 18, 2000, 10:36 AM   #4
Oris

I did notice some sparks too while shooting
PMP ammo in CZ-75B. PMP seems to be a lot milder load than Fiocchi, which is my favorite brand in 9x19. On the positive note,
I must also admit that 9mm PMP seems to be a very, very accurate ammo, I was really surprised that it was at least as good as Fiocchi in accuracy department.

Old August 18, 2000, 11:44 AM   #5
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Accuracy seemed OK. I have not fired my Glock 17 in a long time and, even with my flinching, could do very well last night. I finally got used to Glock triggers, I guess. I fired a few rounds of several other brands side by side and PMP produced sparks and others did not. I am going back to Fiocchi.

Interestingly, the G17 with that crappy ammo was enough to get a first-time shooter hooked. She was with her BF who was starting her out on a Cobray. I fired that specific Cobray and, while it was fairly accurate and 100% reliable, it was also heavy and ill-balanced, and had a muzzle brake...not a good gun for a petit first time user. I lend them my K17 .22 S&W, then let them try the G17. After the first mag, the girl said: this is waaay cool, could I shoot a few more mags through it?"

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://dd-b.net/RKBA
Old August 18, 2000, 11:54 AM   #6
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

And now Fiocchi doesn't seem to be available anywhere...doh!
Old August 18, 2000, 01:11 PM   #7
Ben

Fiocchi is usually available at Galyans for cheap. I don't know if there's a Galyans near you though :| You've got a GREAT site by the way.

take care
Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old August 18, 2000, 10:58 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

I've shot lots (1000s of rounds) of Sellier & Bellot 9mm , nearly as much PMP and Denel, IMI, and Magtech. I get whichever of the bunch are cheapest when I need to buy. If they're all about the same, I go with S&B.

I agree with someone else, though: I think the Denel is loaded a tad lighter than the rest. (With S&B just a bit hotter and dirtier. But I really like it. I've gotten three cases in the last three months.)

(I've had a lot of misfires and squibs with Blazer; it is no longer a brand I'll use.)

Old August 20, 2000, 08:59 AM   #9
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. The PMP 115 gr ball averages 1125 ft/sec from my Browning HP. I don't have figures on the S&B and Fiochhi. PMP is accurate ammo, but as has been noted, a little light on velocity. Still, for the price and punching paper, it is fine. Best.