The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 13, 2001, 09:53 PM   #51
BigG

Paladin, your point is well presented.

Those with a political axe to grind need to run for office and change things if they feel so strongly about it.

All the written persuasion in the world (you're preaching to the choir. The enemy is out there) amounts to little more than as ex-Vice President Agnew said, "mental masturbation."

You ain't impressing anyone but the man in the mirror.

When we get up at the barricades, I'll look to my left and to my right and see if there are any of you RKBA advocates around. I'll be proud to fight with you, but I won't be surprised if you forget to show up.

BTW, political indoctrination was an important part of the education of young soviets and nazis. Maybe you should read some books before you decide what's right for the world.

JMHO
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old May 13, 2001, 10:04 PM   #52
bookkie

Freedom of speech does not mean that everyone has to agree with everyone else. It means that each of us has the right to express our opinions, regardless if those opinions are right or wrong. This guarantees that we can learn from each other. In learning how others think and believe we come closer together, hopefully without violence. It means we have the opportunity to either teach someone else the truth, or have our own minds enlightened. Having said that, this does not always come about without conflict. People are often very passionate regarding their opinions. A lot of us have forgotten our history. In the early years of our country there were duels that were fought over disagreements of opinion. I can?t remember the names of the people involved, but one congressman took his cane, and in a fit of furry tried to beat another congressman to death with it on the floor of congress. Now that is what I call a heated debate. Today people are to sensitive to political correctness. Don?t hurt another person?s feelings. Don?t say anything to upset them. HeII, what we do need is some good old-fashioned heated debates in congress. I would love nothing better than to see my representative take a cane and beat some sense into another legislator.

Guess what I?m trying to say is learn not to take everything so personal. There are a lot of us here on TFL who are very passionate regarding our opinion on the S&W deal. And we are not afraid to say so. Political correctness be dammed, we are going to express our opinion. And yes, I will say that we think that those who buy S&W are traitors. I personally have low opinions of someone who does break the boycott and purchases a gun from them. But that is my opinion and who am I to disagree with you? I don?t have any more rights to my opinion than you do. It?s just that we both have the right to express them.

I?ve often said that the independence and strong will of gun owners was one of the reasons why it is so hard for us to come together. But that strong will (stubbornness) and independence will also become our strengths when we finally do.

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!
Old May 13, 2001, 10:13 PM   #53
Zander

Hmmm...

"That word was coined by a sexist bigot to equate feminism with Naziism..."

I don't recall Bill Clinton ever using that term and he's the worst bigot I can remember for many a year.

Are you sure?
Old May 13, 2001, 10:32 PM   #54
Zander

"...political indoctrination was an important part of the education of young soviets and nazis."

And Americans...that's why we refused to elect Al "no controlling legal authority" Gore.

You see, BigG, we don't need to run for political office to get involved...we just need to recognize a sociofascist for what he is and put him out to pasture.

You can find BigAl in Virginia these days if you want to discuss the agreement meant to introduce fascism into the firearms industry...I'm sure you'll have fun discussing the latest offerings from the traitors at *&*.

Tell him an NRA Life member from Tennessee says 'adios'...
Old May 14, 2001, 06:07 AM   #55
griz

Paladin said: Who says I'm pro-S&W?

Well, you did.
Plans to buy a new S&W are support for the company. As to not getting comments from a post, do you really expect a bunch of folks to keep quiet about this topic when they get worked up over Wal Mart and Mobil 1?
Old May 14, 2001, 08:11 AM   #56
Goet

Damn feminazis!

The whole lot of you!

:P
Old May 14, 2001, 09:48 AM   #57
Mike Irwin
Staff

"When we get up at the barricades, I'll look to my left and to my right and see if there are any of you RKBA advocates around."

Oh please...

Given the fact that you don't seem to mind supporting efforts to heavily restrict your ability to purchase legal firearms and products, just what do you propose to use at the "barricades"?

Your winning smile?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 14, 2001, 10:00 AM   #58
Mike Irwin
Staff

Palladin said:

"If you feel that the agreement should be brought to someone's attention, then mention it to them, but don't try to start a discussion about it, because as this thread demonstrates, such discussions quickly turn into fights."

Pardon me if I choke on my morning coffee, sir, but that is EXACTLY what happened in your 945 thread.

Someone brought it to your attention, and you took offense.

Old May 14, 2001, 11:43 AM   #59
Hard Ball

Smith$Wesson has made some outstanding guns in the past and makes some fine ones today. I hope they get new qwnership, but in the meantime I will not attack anyone for buyong their guns.
Old May 14, 2001, 12:45 PM   #60
El Rojo

What is the problem with Mobil 1?

I am a big Mobil 1 fan. Please don't tell me Mobil is selling us out too. That would be a bummer since my father works for one of there branches.
Old May 14, 2001, 01:05 PM   #61
Gunslinger

(quietly, under breath)

El Rojo, since you pointed out my grammatical error in this thread earlier I feel compelled to tell you it should be "their" and not "there" in the above post.

Just pickin' on ya buddy,
Bill
Old May 14, 2001, 01:08 PM   #62
El Rojo

Well done!

I am most ashamed of such a mistake. See how easy it is to just type on here occasionally with your head up your butt? That is why I try not to be too critical of others education levels, it just opens me up for attack. Thanks for the heads up.
Old May 14, 2001, 01:40 PM   #63
PaladinVC

Mike, the first response to my 945 inquiry was Gunslinger saying,

"Smith & Wesson.......the "Agreement" with the devil.....'nough said."

This obviously isn't just "bringing the matter to my attention". It implies that the agreement renders my question invalid. He essentially told me not to ask about S&W firearms, because they're unworthy of consideration. That was the FIRST post. After that there were some genuinely helpful posts, in the true spirit of TFL, which I appreciated immensely.

Then Gunslinger piped up again, with the quasi-valid point of buying used, combined with several inflammatory remarks and some rude comments about elected officials. I appreciate the advice on buying used, the rest I could do without.

At this point, the thread went almost directly down the toilet. rock_jock unleashed a dissertation on S&W, without even addressing my questions, M16 tried to straighten the topic out, and everyone started shouting at once, and the rare helpful voice was drowned out by the S&W bashers belting out their politics.

As for me "taking offense", I posted my SECOND comment on that thread after all this had transpired. I thanked everyone for their helpful suggestions, and voiced my irritation at all the garbage I had to wade through to find them.

So, Mike, I did not take offense to somebody bringing the issue to my attention. I am aware of the issue. Any time I consider purchasing a S&W product, I think of it. Any time I post about a S&W product, I have it firmly in mind, and I have neither the need nor the desire to be reminded.

In the meantime, since we've branched out to spelling errors, "Paladin" only has one "L".
Old May 14, 2001, 01:44 PM   #64
Gunslinger

Old May 14, 2001, 01:59 PM   #65
BigG

Gunslinger...

that's the most intelligent post I've seen from you lately.

(Now, if we can only get Mike "RKBA" Irwin to simma down)
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old May 14, 2001, 02:01 PM   #66
griz

Mobil 1

Hey El Rojo, I like the stuff too. It just seems like whenever it gets brought up as a great inexpensive oil for guns, some people forcefully insist it is NOT A GUN LUBRICANT and it goes down hill from there. Last time there were even post about my Dad is smarter than your Dad. Here it is if you’re interested.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...threadid=64733
Old May 14, 2001, 02:23 PM   #67
Westicle

Great Points everyone....

This is going great, Our viewpoints are being Expressed in a sane manner and all of our viewpoints are getting equal Attention.

Paladins Thread is actually what made me start this thread, I have been Interested in the 945 for awhile because I am boycotting COLT..... they seem to no longer want to import firearms into Canada Although it is Perfectly Legal to Do SO.... so I bought an Armalite AR15, now I want a 1911 style Pistol but something a Little Differant, the 945.

For the Most Part people have been pretty good on this thread and all points are being made Nicely, Mike Irwin I applaud you for your beliefs and your Dedication to them.

Gunslinger, I am just a poor Oil Patch worker who used to be a fisherman, fished everything from bottom fish to King Crab on the West Coast..... My Scholastic Career ended After Grade 10, so to you I must be less then Human.

My stand is still the same, If I post a Question in the Handgun Section I don't want to hear Politics. All I want to hear about is Failure to Fire and Parts Breakage. Politics belongs in the forum under this One.

Thanks All for Participating in this Discussion and please Continue..... Mobil 1 is Petrolium Based and makes a fine Gun Lube. The Main Thing with Oil is Breakdown Temperatures and Lubrication Qualities. Mobil one has these both covered Nicely as applied to Firearms.
Old May 14, 2001, 02:44 PM   #68
Gunslinger

BigG, that was my little way of acknowledging that I had read the post above that response and did not feel it dignified a response. No response from me may well lead the previous poster to believe that I had simply not seen or read the their post. A period, on the other hand, indicates that I did read it and did not feel it worthy of comment.
(BTW, I took your remarks in jest in the manner in which I'm sure you meant them......that it isn't to say I still don't think yer a smarta$$)

Westicle, Westicle, *sigh* Westicle. I think that most of us here had already figured out that you had started this topic based on the 945 topic in Semi-Auto.
However, I do feel I owe you an apology. When I made my first response to your initial topic I was not aware that you were Canadian. Had I known that I would have responded differently. I realize that if I were Canasdian and had lost my rights as you have I would care nothing about the S&W boycott cause in some foreign country either. Of course I would maintain the decency to not criticize those trying to fight for their rights in their own country.
You will, however, I'm sure, pardon me if I still have a vested interest.
Old May 14, 2001, 03:13 PM   #69
Westicle

My RIGHTS ??? every Post I make has "Proud to be Canadian" On it.....

Gunslinger,

How could you MISS, me being Canadian..... did they teach reading in the school you went too ?

Do you even Know what My right's are ?, have you studied my Laws and Freedoms like I have had yours shoved down my throat since Grade School.

Canadian Gun Laws are no Worse Right Now then where California is heading..... I can Purchase any Handgun I want with a bbl over 106mm, I can buy AR15's with Bayonet Lugs, A2 flash Hider and a 14.5" bbl, I can buy a 14" Mossberg 12 guage. All with no hassle's or Tax Stamps..... I just walk into the store and Purchase them.

About the Only Right we as Canadians do not have that you have is CCW and Full Auto Ownership.

This is not about Canada or the USA, this discussion is about Abusing other people's Post's with political retoric (no offence mike). You being the biggest Abuser. Do you really Believe that Anyone on this Board who has more then 10 posts under his Belt is Not Aware of the HUD Agreement ??.

I see that this Thread might soon be a Moot Point because talks are in the works for Saf-T-Block to buy S&W, how do you feel about that ?? A company who's whole existance is centered around making guns safer..... "for the children". Do you really believe that they are going to not introduce a Internal Locking Device on S&W Pistols, Not sell every S&W with a trigger Lock.... these are all parts of the HUD Agreement. Even if they renounce the HUD Agreement they are still going to introduce ALL of the SAFETY Aspects of it.

This is not about countries or anything...... this is about my right and everybody else's to ask Questions about firearms on a firearms Message Board without having every Nut with an Agenda force feeding me what he Thinks is right........ Gunslinger, humour me and tell me the last 5 Firearms you bought.

here are mine
1)S&W 617-1 (circa. 1990)
2)S&W 4567 (circa. 1991 total production of the two tone model I have is under 200 (they where dealer demos)
3)Ruger mark 1 Target (circa. 1961)
4)Ruger Super Blackhawk
5)Ruger P90

Anyone interested check the pictures on my web page, http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...32/gunner.html

My point to posting the Above Info is to show you that no matter what a person Buys there is going to be some controversy, Roast me over Bill Ruger, S&W Agreement, My Glocks Being Plastic...... so if you have an opinion on such and such a make keep it in the general forum or the political forum.
Old May 14, 2001, 03:17 PM   #70
BigG

Hi Gunslinger...

you took it right!

Old May 14, 2001, 03:32 PM   #71
El Rojo

Ok, I am still wondering about Mobil 1.

I think I might be missing something here. Is Mobil 1 in anyway a bad product to buy because of anti-gun policies? Are we simply talking about it as a gun oil? Someone help the obviously lost out here.
Old May 14, 2001, 03:37 PM   #72
adept

i certianly hope that mops and bleach are going to be passed out in here after the bladder emptying contest is over.

Adept

<wonder why it is so hard to respect each others individual right to be different, and have differing opinions>

Old May 14, 2001, 04:19 PM   #73
Gunslinger

How do I feel about Safe T Bar buying Smith?

You can read my post in L&P here regarding that. Briefly, if the owner plans to attempt to force gun owners to be responsible by sticking locks on guns it will the last nail in Smith's coffin.

I'm not sure what your point is but I will try to remember the last five guns I have purchased;

1) Smith model 5904. Used. Nice gun and one that I'm using because a great deal because my arthritis and joint disease does not allow me to shoot my "N" frames the way I once did.

2) Taurus PT-92 in 9mm. A common caliber that Terri and I can shoot together and Taurus is supporting the RKBA by giving a one year subscription to anyone buying one of their guns or extending the membership of a current member. We extended her's since there is no way to extend my life membership...unless they can some how give me an extra year to live. (BTW, I highly recommend the new Taurus products.)

3) Talon 9mm. Yes, damn it I said a Talon. A few weeks ago a member mentioned they were a new American gun company located in Montana, needed help getting off the ground and asked members to purchase some of their guns to help 'em out. I bought a pair of their 9mm's. One for Terri and one for my 22 year old son. (I'm sure some other members have bought their guns since but it is funny that I am the only one that ran out and picked up a couple to try to support a new company in the industry and posted about it. )

4) Mossy (that is Mossberg in Canadian talk) 9 shot 12 gauge for a new bedroom gun.

5) Used Smith 657 .41 magnum six inch. A sweet gun to replace an old model 57 blued that I purchased 20+ years ago and simply wore out.

I'm still at a loss as to the purpose of this exercise but to humor you and if it will help I purchase approximately 5 to ten guns per year. Half are now used Smiths, which is the focus of my collection. Currently I own in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 guns.....if you know exactally how many guns you own you don't have enough guns. I have not sold a a gun in over five years and do not plan to ever sell another one. There are also five new Smiths, including the 945, that were released after the agreement that I would purchase next week if the agreement were dropped. Yes, Smith has lost money because of me.

Now, humor me. Why did you ask?
Old May 14, 2001, 09:04 PM   #74
Mike Irwin
Staff

Paladin,

You're absolutely correct, and I apologize. I scanned the 945 thread too quickly, and too long ago, and should have reread it before I posted.

Big G,

"Now if we can only get Mike "RKBA" Irwin to simma down..."

When you pry my keyboard out of my cold, dead fingers...

Westicle,

I have studied Canadian firearms laws, but was thoroughly disheatened by what I saw. Now if I have a question about CFLs, I e-mail a friend of mine in Vancouver for a ruling.

Old May 15, 2001, 08:09 AM   #75
Westicle

Went Back and Read the 945 Post

Gunslinger you are way over top on that post,

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...7&pagenumber=2

The reason I asked to hear about your last 5 gun purchases was to show that controversy is hard to avoid if there is someone out there..... for example, there are a lot of S&W Boycotters that would roast you for even buying a used gun, because someone some where will go and buy a new one because you took the gun they wanted off the market.

Sell all 50+ of your S&W's and flood the market and you will see that hurting the company.

[Edited by Westicle on 05-17-2001 at 12:15 AM]