The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old August 2, 2008, 11:37 AM   #101
Wildalaska

Quote:
The idea "is" to see what happens over the Long term, after all the chemical lubricants have failed
Stop. They all will fail after a time, even yours. Like now a week or so later the knife is nice and snarky again...so Nanolube lasted a week, big deal, do does TriFlow, at 1/10 the cost. Your product simply isn't worth the excess cost.

Quote:
NanoLub and NanoLube TM are not the same product, and I believe wholeheartedly the basic fallacy behind article on 80-220 nm particles - but they are not talking about my synthetic diamond lubricant averaging 1nm - which does work. Besides, the EPA is trying to ban the use of Sulfur. And heavy metals - so what good is it?
You know, it disturbs me that you avoid direct questions and move right to your preprogrammed sales pitch, which some educated guys here and other places contend is drivel...here is the question you failed to answer...again...

"No offense, the stuff works AS WELL as any of the better lubes in a short term test. Query, why should I buy a tiny tube of your stuff for $8 when I can get something like....TriFlow for 1/10 the price?"

Quote:
The armoror in Iraq liked NanoLube TM because his M249SAW kept firing even though it was 99 degrees and dusty. NanoLube performed when regular lubes would have failed - and when someone is shooting at you, if you can't fire back - your dead.
That is the siulliest and most worthless pitch I have ever seen......and Let us know when the Military gives you an NSN

Where is your MSDS?

I'm starting to smell snake oil

WildidefertothemoreeducatedfolkshereAlaska TM

W
Old August 2, 2008, 01:48 PM   #102
Scorch

OK, boys and girls! Here is the first installment of my NanoLube test based on actual use.

Firearm used: blued steel Colt Combat Commander, 45ACP. Accurized, tightened and lapped, King slide recoil buffer, Wilson trigger, trigger pull weight 3.75 lbs.

150 rounds, IPSC practice shoot. Load info: 7.9 gr Unique behind 200 gr jacketed bullet, velocity 830 fps, power factor 166.

Preparation before treatment with NanoLube: gun disassembled and scrubbed with Hoppes #9 solvent, then wiped with alcohol to remove all oil or lube. Nanolube applied to all contact points, outside of gun wiped with RIG rag after reassembly.

Shooting was done in a graveled area, slightly dusty. I made no efforts to wipe down my pistol or protect the pistol from getting dirty. No lube-induced malfunctions to report, but then I never have malfunctions with this pistol. Trigger weight prior to treatment and after were the same (within normal variation of the trigger pull gauge). Slide felt subjectively unchanged, but as stated in another post, the action is very smooth already.

After shooting, the pistol was disassembled and cleaned. No extra effort was required to clean the pistol, but no less effort than normal, either. The pistol was lubed with Nanolube and reassembled and was not notably easier or harder to reassemble. Big shoot in 2 weeks, so we'll see how it does then.

All in all, NanoLube seems to work as well as other high-quality lubes. I saw no performance gains with this test, but no lube failures either. As I noted in another post, my stainless guns did feel better after applying NanoLube, so users may see NanoLube work better on softer metals or stainless which can gall without good lube.

Next chapter: Service Rifle match shoot in 3 weeks.
Old August 2, 2008, 03:28 PM   #103
Loader9

For shame Scorch, advocating that someone should over load their 45 ACP ammo with 7.9 grs Unique when the max load per Alliant is 7.3 grs.
http://glarp.atk.com/2008/2008_Catal...derCatalog.pdf

Yeah, I know. I'm using 8.0 grs under a 200 gr too! Gee, I guess my Kimber and Colt Special Combats are going to blow up now.

Not to join the Nano Bashers but 99 degrees and dusty? It was 120 here yesterday and my brother uses WD-40 on all of his guns and wipes that off so the gun isn't attracting the dust on the ranch. The 99 degrees and dusty is hardly a factor. FWIW, it's 112 now...and then it'll get hot later.
Old August 2, 2008, 03:46 PM   #104
Scorch

Quote:
For shame Scorch, advocating that someone should over load their 45 ACP ammo with 7.9 grs Unique when the max load per Alliant is 7.3 grs.
I've been shooting that same load for so long I never checked it against the newer, safer, and more reasonable load data. I guess I never realized my gun had already exploded .
Old August 3, 2008, 12:34 AM   #105
MeekAndMild

Thank you for your time NanoLube. Welcome to TFL.

So far you demonstrate either incapability or unwillingness to answer my questions so I'll just not bother again. Nor will I buy your product until there is sufficient independent testing to generate specific recommendations by firearms manufacturers.

Good day.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 3, 2008, 02:03 AM   #106
Tempest45

Quote:
The armoror in Iraq liked NanoLube TM because his M249SAW kept firing even though it was 99 degrees and dusty.
How is your embedded nanodust supposed to help lube through sand particles and powder fouling that is MUCH larger?
Old August 3, 2008, 02:49 AM   #107
Yithian

I do believe Temp has more interest in this than casual onlooker. LOL
Only 30 posts, and 10 are to bash Nano...

He has no sample.
Never used it. Never will use it, probably.
Yet, vehemently denounces it... repeatedly. (Battologize)

Get a grip dude.
You made your point long ago
Old August 3, 2008, 07:19 AM   #108
NanoLube

MeekandMild,

I refuse to answer what specific formula carrier oil (no matter who asks) because it is none of anybody’s business (one reason is counterfeiters), and besides - it only carries the nanodiamond I personally manufacture. I also answer NO questions dealing with proprietary information or information on or in my pending patents, no matter what tactics people use to try to make me defend myself. I let the product speak for itself.

There are some well known members posting positive results and you don't believe them - but you get all shook up by someone backing another lubes and unknown persons that just sign up to the forum to back him up and - attack the product.

When I get some time I will tell you EXACTLY how weapon shield PROVES their LUBRICANT is BETTER than everyone else (in real old west sideshow style) - which just happens to be the one, you should have guessed - tempest45 LOVES and is behind - 100%. from a town far, far away - it's Lube Wars.

Wait until the tests are in, that is a good idea, but I have never had one legitimate complaint from anyone - except other lubricant salesmen, can you wonder why?

<
So far you demonstrate either incapability or unwillingness to answer my questions so I'll just not bother again.

Last edited by NanoLube; August 3, 2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo - removed "somes"
Old August 3, 2008, 07:33 AM   #109
NanoLube

loader9,

It is a factor when they guys testing it are firing full automatic machine guns and the dust blowing around are "the sands of Iraq."

So you were actually firing an AK47 and M249SAW at full auto in 122 heat, come on - you were inside with the air on, weren’t you? I would have been.

<
Not to join the Nano Bashers but 99 degrees and dusty? It was 120 here yesterday and my brother uses WD-40 on all of his guns and wipes that off so the gun isn't attracting the dust on the ranch. The 99 degrees and dusty is hardly a factor. FWIW, it's 112 now...and then it'll get hot later.
Old August 3, 2008, 10:03 AM   #110
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

IMO, we've had enough backing and forthing. Let's limit this to shooters' results. Good, bad, indifferent, I don't care. What I have seen more than enough of is near-personal back-and-forth. No more.

Art
Old August 3, 2008, 10:11 AM   #111
Wildalaska

Quote:
There are some well known members posting positive results and you don't believe them - but you get all shook up by someone backing another lubes and unknown persons that just sign up to the forum to back him up and - attack the product.
OK I'll try again...since I am a well known member here and really have no axe to grind about your product... Your stuff appears to work no better than any other hi grade lube...its is neither slicker nor more long lasting. In fact, in some applications, it is inferior....Why should I buy your product when it is 10 times more expensive? Thats all I want to know.

WildanswerAlaska TM
Old August 3, 2008, 08:22 PM   #112
Tempest45

Quote:
When I get some time I will tell you EXACTLY how weapon shield PROVES their LUBRICANT is BETTER than everyone else (in real old west sideshow style) - which just happens to be the one, you should have guessed - tempest45 LOVES and is behind - 100%. from a town far, far away - it's Lube Wars.
Not entirely sure what this means. I do like Weapon Shield because the product works and is produced and designed by a lubrication engineer with over 20 years experience and is a shooter. His explanations as to how his product works is well within accepted and proven tribological theory, as I have verified with other lubrication engineers. I do not work for the company nor do I sell it.

I simply don't like BS and salesmen taking advantage of other people's lack of lubrication knowledge as the field is very much more complex than 99.9% of people realize. I have some knowledge in the field and am simply trying to provide technical information. I have provided links to support my case and nanodude has provided nothing. He doesn't even know how his product works, just that it does, has refused to address my technical points, and has refused show any standardized testing results or data.

If people want to spend $25 an ounce for this stuff, have at it.
Old August 3, 2008, 08:45 PM   #113
SR420

Check this out LINK
Old August 3, 2008, 09:46 PM   #114
Yithian

OK slap me too.
I can't resist...

Lets keep count...
Tempest45, Battologize post 11.

He broke out the "Star Trek" book of definitions on us.
I don't have a copy...
What does "tribological theory" mean, concerning lube?
My google spell checker hasn't a clue what this word is.

Nano wants the average Joe User to speak up and tell the rest of you what the product does and does not do.
That, by Tempest45's standards, is evil and just plain wrong.
Those free samples Nano gave out, are taking advantage of us.

Also, by Tempest45's text, I have zero knowledge of "Lubrication Theory".
And, therefore, should have no voice in whether the product actually works or not.
Too bad Temp. I have used it on my personal rifles.
I'm going to say it anyway...
It did do something very similar to Nano's claims.
Now I have to wait for the long term results, as I am poor and can't afford that many rounds of ammo all at once.

The only true BS I see currently on this thread is Tempest45's.
He is an Internet taught, "some knowledge in the field", lube concerned citizen.
His case means ZERO to me as he HASN'T USED THE PRODUCT in order to provide results for this thread.
ZERO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest45
If people want to spend $25 an ounce for this stuff, have at it.
This is the only sentence of his that has true pertinence and meaning.
I don't like the price either but...
Does this mean you are finished with the Battologize?
Or are we gonna give Art fits over the Battologize 12?
Old August 3, 2008, 10:07 PM   #115
RonC

Tribology is the science and technology of interacting surfaces in relative motion. It includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear.

The topic can be found on a multitude of sites when Googled.

I have no dog in this fight, but from my own engineering experience, Tempest45's statements have been founded on good physics and engineering. It is understandable that some folks lack the background or training to make sense of Tempest45's comments, but it doesn't make the comments incorrect.

Also, I respect WildAlaska and trust his comments that the Nanolube performed no better that other, inexpensive, common lubes.

I am naturally and by training, cynical. So I will wait for good, sound, well designed testing results to come in before I bother with Nanolube. I will wait for technologically sound evidence and explanations about how 1 nm particles can have any effect in a lube that is hundreds or thousands of times thicker.

Notice that I didn't say that the stuff doesn't work. But I haven't read anything independently reported or done with replicates and controls that shows that it does. I'm still waiting.

Ron
Old August 3, 2008, 10:10 PM   #116
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, I tried. Threads like this, it's tempting to delete the first post--which makes everything go Poof! Better than Whiiffledust!
Closed Thread