The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2002, 10:20 PM   #1
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Another cracked Taurus PT145!

Mine cracked today at the Tusco Plateshoot in Midvale, Ohio; witnessed by no less than five TFLers!

I was up against Falconer on the firing line. He with a Ruger P90, me with the PT145. He went through 14 rounds, I went through 15. He beat me. I went back to switch to my Makarov for the next round and decided to check the frame of the Taurus for cracks. I noticed what looked like a small, whitish hair near where Taurus Millenium frames usually crack. I wiped it away (it was just residue of some kind) and noticed that there was a tiny crack beneath it. I looked on the other side of the frame and noticed that the crack had a companion there as well. (Pix to come if I can borrow a digital camera tomorrow.)

About that time, Falconer came over and asked, "Did it crack yet?"

"Oh yeah," I said, "Right here!"

We made enough of a commotion to get the attention of the Purdue TFL contingent nearby.

"I'm getting a new pistol!" I announced, and offered the Taurus around for inspection. The cracks are very hard to see, but they are obviously there if you know where to look for them. Of course, every faithful TFLer knows *exactly* where to look for them thanks to this thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=pt145

I am taking this well because of two things:
1. Taurus has superb customer service, including a lifetime warranty.
2. I have heard no instances of a replaced frame cracking.

I explained to Christopher II, Ceol Mhor and Caliban about George Hill's quest to get Taurus to admit the flaw and do a recall. George - If you need witnesses, you got a few more today.

BTW, my Taurus' S/N is NUE 55XXX; it was made in May or June of 2000.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old April 21, 2002, 10:28 PM   #2
falconer

13 rounds dave, 13 rounds. I double tapped 2 plates.

Funny thing is, we were making jokes about firing the heck out of it to try to get it to crack, only took a mag and half. Go figure. I personally think that when you send it back, you should tell them: "you messed up on the first gun, I don't want another screwup so just send me a Glock 30 and we'll call it even".
Old April 21, 2002, 10:29 PM   #3
gbelleh

Blues Man,
Sorry to hear it finally cracked.
I can't help but feel bad for selling it to you! I hope it all turns out ok.
Old April 21, 2002, 10:39 PM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

No sweat, Gino. Neither of us knew about this problem when we made the deal.

I'm still convinced that Taurus just had a few "bad batches" of polymer when making their frames in mid-2000. Certainly it could be a design flaw, but if the replacement frame doesn't crack, I will continue to be happy to own this gun. It has been 100 percent reliable. Never had a FTF or light strike or stovepipe or anything.
Old April 21, 2002, 10:47 PM   #5
gbelleh

I agree, it's a great little gun as long as the frame doesn't crack. As you know I would still have it if it wasn't for the HK USP 45.

Good luck getting it resolved.