The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 1, 2000, 10:15 AM   #26
Joe Demko

I started a similar thread over at AR15.com a week or so ago, I'll go with an AR15 carbine and plenty of ammo. I guess I'd add either a good light on the gun or some night vision equipment too. Otherwise, mobility is the order of the day. The victims in those movies are screwed when they try to hole up and get mobbed as a result.
Old November 1, 2000, 10:16 AM   #27
mcshot

Bronco11 head on with wiper blades on. Would prefer a tank or hummvee but they are missing from my garage.

------------------
"In my opinion, anyone pushing through anti-gun legislation is a bloody traitor and should be sent up for treason" N.H. Stuart
Old November 1, 2000, 10:21 AM   #28
buzz_knox

You need to break their structural support. Soft tissue injuries, CNS hits, or blood loss just won't do it. For me, a .300 Whisper M-16 carbine with an underslung 12 gauge and an UMP .45 for backup, and a Glock 21, both with +P. Said weapons to be used when I have to mosey out for food, supplies, etc. When I'm in my secure location, a GECAL .50 Gatling gun (assuming proper power supply) or a Ma Deuce if no power, an M60E4 (couple of them in case I don't have time to change barrels) and an USAS-12 shotgun with 20 round drums.

Or, screw all that and get a flamethrower!
Old November 1, 2000, 10:39 AM   #29
Jeff, CA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Christopher II:
Wasn't there a Simpons episode about this??[/quote]

It was on last night.

Bart: Dad! You killed the zombie Flanders!

Homer: He was a zombie?

Old November 1, 2000, 10:43 AM   #30
Gravity

Jennings .22
Old November 1, 2000, 11:18 AM   #31
Mikul

Fire never fails to kill anything. So, for outdoors, I recommend a flame thrower. This weapon tends to stain the carpet when used indoors.

Decapitation is effective in every supernatural movie I've ever seen. Vampires, zombies, Frankendude,etc. A good katana is a excellent choice.
Old November 1, 2000, 11:22 AM   #32
griz

A remote control with fresh batteries so I can turn off the TV.
Old November 1, 2000, 11:43 AM   #33
wormtown

Remington 12 gauage with 00, and an extended magazine tube. Headshot (or anywhere close) ought to do it.
Old November 1, 2000, 02:21 PM   #34
Bogie

If I remember correctly, headshots are sufficient for the zombies. The outlaw survialist bikers, however, take more killin'...

Hence, my three Ruger 10/22s, and a few thouand rounds of K-Mart ammo, should prove sufficient for the zombies in the mall, especially considering that I've got several magazines which now appear to cost more than the rifles... For the zombies, low recoil and easy aiming is a serious plus.

For the bikers, it's the opposite. Lots of damage and suppressive fire. I'd go with my pair of Mossberg 500s, and several bandoliers of mixed buckshot and slugs... If I chose a rifle, it'd be an AK variant, since reliability and terminal ballistics behind cover, rather than accuracy, would be the deciding factor. Plus, I've got more hicaps for the AK...

Okay - Now let's say that Jaime Lee Curtis just ran into your house, and she says that some guy in a bad William Shatner mask is chasing her...

Old November 1, 2000, 02:35 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

Rifle hell, shotgun.

00 or 000 buckshot.

I'd also look around for a flame thrower.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old November 1, 2000, 03:01 PM   #36
scud

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Jennings .22
[/quote]

ROTFLMAO ! Click, jam - actually it would be a good horror movie weapon, they never fire.

What you really need is a GE Minigun

[This message has been edited by scud (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 03:43 PM   #37
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

shotgun.. definitely a shotgun if you are facing the evil hordes of undead zombies. Plus, by sizing an appropriate dowel into a 12 gauge hi brass shell you can pop a vampire at 50 feet.

A 45 calber pistol or revolver full of silver bullets (not silvertips) would make a sensible back up, as would wolfsbane, garlic, consecrated wafers, holy water and a jesuit preist with a flamethrower.

However, if its just me and Jamie Lee buckshot and bullets will have to do.

If zombies broke into the staff lounge I can imagine the scene from Tremors being replayed "guess you broke into the wrong rec room!"

TFL'ers I'd want around when the zombies show up... Dave Mc, Morgan, Coinneach, George Hill and Tamara, and our pal Jade from Front Range IDPA cuz she has more toys than all of us.. Sensible types with a sense of humor and practicality. I'd give morgan the chainsaw.

In fact I think the day Morgan, Coinneach and I went to the range the owners were convinced the local anti-zombie militia had arrived, or that in fact outlaw zombie biker mutants had arrived at the range.

we look pretty spooky.

Rob
Old November 1, 2000, 04:18 PM   #38
chadintex

I need clarification for logistical reasons, is this all of the dead in the world or just my town? Either way, I'm screwed, that's a lotta dead.

I would encase myself in the MMM's local chapter, even the undead can tell they have no brains, so no threat to me.

But, to be fair, I think I would go for the Mossberg 500 with lots of slugs and 00 buck.

------------------
[email protected]
Old November 1, 2000, 05:04 PM   #39
Bogie

Hey, don't I get an invite? As look as we can keep 'em a few hundred yards away, we'll have ring'o'zombies... After all, varmint rifles have the oomph to keep the stinky critters at a distance...

Old November 1, 2000, 06:08 PM   #40
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

12 Gauge is good, but I'd really like a double-bladed ax and/or a good katana. I figure I can unhinge about a zombie a second, with time to rest between every 5 or 6 before any more can get to me.

Dave R, LMAO. Watch my P-32 go [but against zombies?]!
Bring the love! Can we make this an annual event?
Old November 1, 2000, 06:12 PM   #41
loknload

A GE mini gun because "They Bring Good Things to Life"

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous
Old November 1, 2000, 06:22 PM   #42
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Give some people a hammer and every problem looks like a nail.
Rich
Old November 1, 2000, 07:33 PM   #43
Morgan

Rich - give me a hammer and every problem looks like a field mouse!

Rob - You'd actually trust me with a chainsaw? Ohboyohboyohboy!

Bring on the zombies!
Old November 1, 2000, 09:52 PM   #44
4V50 Gary
Staff

What's all this talk about 12 ga & 00 buck? We're talking zombies and not savvy opponents. High recoil bulky ammunition would only serve to limit the # you can kill. Headshots are key so even the diminutive 30 carbine would be good enough (and lighter than a Thompson SMG or Rem 870 riot gun). You'll carry more ammo too.

So, here's what I propose and the kiddies and their mommies will hate me. Take a carousel and on the outside poles, mount scythes at various heights (tall, medium, short). Put live people on carousel and turn it on. The lights and music will initally attrach the zombies' attention. When they see live people (bait) on board, they'll stagger to it. As they near, the scythes will decapitate them. No head, no zombie. Crank up the speed if there's more and for any that slip by, then use the gun.
Old November 1, 2000, 10:29 PM   #45
PaladinX13

H&K belt-fed grenade launcher and a G11 for close in work.
Old November 1, 2000, 10:31 PM   #46
FPrice

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Well, the undead are walking (albeit slowly!) and are trying to chomp you and your loved ones. Killing someone that's already dead isn't easy! It would either take massive damage to the torso area to rip enough muscle apart to immobilize them, or a shot through their undead heads. So, what would you take? [/quote]

"...Phased-plasma rifle in the 40-watt range..."

"Just what ya see on the wall, buddy."

Frosty
MOLON LABE
Old November 1, 2000, 10:53 PM   #47
handsome frank

JEEZ, this is the main reason i own guns!! for real! i saw night of the living dead when i was like 7 and it scared the crap out of me so bad i couldnt sleep for a month!btw, zombies only need head shots, and most of the guns in the movie were .22's, and that is all you would need really because anything past that range isnt important anyway..so i would pick in this order

1. a tippmann half scale belt fed .22 with a bunch of loaded belts for it.

2. a smarter person than me who could take a rangefinder and figure out the average height of the zombies pretty quick, so i could get most of them within a few passes of the gun.

3. my remington speedmaster, cuz its 14 rounds where i want it within 150 yards, and its light.

4. ruger NM bearcat, just for fun, on one hip

5. browning buckmark challenger, with plenty of extra magazines.

6. my m1 carbine, just cuz i like to shoot it and it would be fun

7. a 79 scottsdale with super swampers and railroad ties welded to the front bumper.

8. my friends, cuz it would be a blast.

dawn of the dead is one of the all time great movies, especially when the idiot guys are out shootin em callin their shots to each other at the bottom of the hill. i wish this would happen in real life, just so i could have an excuse to blow some ammo away.

Old November 1, 2000, 11:49 PM   #48
Correia

This thread has made me laugh until my sides hurt.

Only TFLers would look at a band of killer mutant zombies as a fun day shooting.
Old November 2, 2000, 09:47 AM   #49
Rich Lucibella
Staff

104K.
Part Deux in order...just keep repeating, "It's only a Discussion Thread, It's only a Discussion Thread".
Rich
Closed Thread