The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 10, 2000, 01:23 PM   #1
Grapeshot

OK owners, what's the real deal with these guns? I want a close-range (out to 10 or 15 yards), pocket point-and-shoot gun (if not in .45 then I'll have to sink to a .32 Tomcat - and don't say "get a kel-tec because I can't find any). I have seen all the warnings in this and other forums - is this really an impossible-to-shoot gun? How heavy is the trigger? Lastly, can they be made to be reliable, and with Hydra-Shocks nonetheless?
Old July 10, 2000, 01:30 PM   #2
Richard

I have seen a lot of bargains in my day. I picked up a S&W CS45 for $325 and if I had been a little quicker I could have bought a S&W 457 for $275. My point? I have shot the AMT 45 Backup and it is not near the top of my list. The trigger is unbelievably heavy and can't be tuned. Pass on the AMT. Regards, Richard.
Old July 10, 2000, 01:35 PM   #3
lucky085

I had one a few years ago. Heavy trigger and one heck of a kick.

I would get a glock 26, 27, or 33 if I were you.
Old July 10, 2000, 02:04 PM   #4
pocketman

I had a backup 45 3 or 4 years ago carried it in a alessi iwb talon holster,I even put eagle stag grips on it which added some to the grip and improved my firing grip, I owned it for about a year and put 4-500rds through it,trigger pull was about 15 lbs,But I was able to control it and shoot fairly well in the 15-20ft range,I remember once while targeting a large dragon fly landed about a foot to the left of where I was shooting & without thinking about it I turned slightly left and devistaded it with a 230g goldensaber. I started having problems around 500rds,stovepipes etc..and lost faith in it,I retuned it to amt and they said it was a magazine spring failer and returned it with two new mags,I never fired it again,I believe i tradded in on a new S&W 6906.
Old July 10, 2000, 06:22 PM   #5
Grapeshot

Thanks Pocketman, that's just the kind of info I wanted to hear about. At this point, I am leaning heavily toward ordering the Backup, as it sounds at least as reliable as some of my other "budget" choices (I can't afford/don't want a Glock 27). You know, I figure if it doesn't work right the first time, it can go right back to the factory just like all the other new guns that didn't work at first. Like my $750 Kimber, my S&W Model 29, my S&W 625 Mountain Gun, a couple Ruger revolvers (my fault), and every Taurus I've owned. I'm starting to think QC is no longer a fashionable concept.
Old July 10, 2000, 06:35 PM   #6
Jim V

Well, my backup has digested over 500 rounds w/o a hitch. Knock on wood. The trigger pull is quite heavy, never measured it so I don't know how heavy. Even with the "gutter" sights on it, I've kept 6 shots on a 100# propane bottle (empty) at 50 feet. I have a good supply of magazines for it. I don't carry it much, not because I don't trust it but because I tote a grown up 1911A1.

The trigger can be reshaped for a better pull, there was a 'smith that offered the improvement but I don't have his address or TX number. Part of the heavy trigger pull is caused by the geomerty of the trigger.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old July 10, 2000, 07:34 PM   #7
Marcus

.45 Backups generally have a trigger weight of +/- 20lbs. I`ve known a few guys who had Backups SA/DA .380/.45 and they all sold them because of the terrible triggers and worse reliability. I know you said not to say it but I`m gonna anyway! If you can`t find a Keltec,why not just order one instead of the Backup. It`s far more accurate,has real sights,slider release, push button mag release,8.5lb. trigger,holds twice as much ammo and is half as heavy. If you want a .45 Backup just for the sake of it that`s great,go for it. But if you`re really looking for a good ultra compact carry gun the Keltec is a no brainer. Marcus
Old July 10, 2000, 07:49 PM   #8
Grapeshot

Heh heh I understand, Marcus. Actually, the difficulty with ordering the Kel-tec 32 (I find the bigger ones a little too "boxy" feeling) is that all of my distributors are out of out of the little suckers, and I only found one place that has the .45 Backup.
Boy, I'm even MORE confused now! Ah, the pocket-matic blues.
Thanks to all who responded!
Old July 10, 2000, 08:43 PM   #9
DPYANKEE

I have carried both the 45 and 380 Backups.
Never a problem with the 45 using Cor-Bon
185 Gr 45+P
The 380 w/ 90 Gr +P.Have had some jams with it tho. Seems to like FMJ better.
All in all I can't find a carry 45 as small and easy to carry as the 45 Backup.
'Course I like my USP40 but its to big!!
Old July 10, 2000, 09:58 PM   #10
1911Ford

How about a Compact Charles Daly for a great little "budget" gun. Check out www.charlesdaly.com . If you like the looks of them go to www.1911forum.com and go to the Charles Daly forum. A rep from the company moderates this forum. They can answer all your questions.

------------------
Talk about the greatest pistol ever made.
www.1911Forum.com
Old July 10, 2000, 10:14 PM   #11
StephenT

I've seen the compact 45 Charles Daly at a show for $380. Though it did not fit my hand well, it might be right for you. The magazine holds 10 rounds, and it seemed well built. It's relatively new, and I haven't got any feedback on them here at TFL, but it might be something to consider.
Old July 10, 2000, 10:44 PM   #12
branrot

I saw both the P-11's and the P-32's at the gun show this weekend (Miami, FL). In fact, there were a few of each. The base P-11's were going around 220-240, and the P-32's around 280-320 (I think).

You can often find the P-32's on www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com. I usually don't like to buy inexpensive guns over the internet because the transfer fee and shipping fee does not compensate for the sales tax. However, if you can't find one where you are, you may want to give it a shot.
Old July 11, 2000, 12:43 AM   #13
Richard

It isn't very often that I post two replies to a question and rarer that I say I do not like a handgun. I do not like this handgun. If you can't afford a better new pistol then buy a quality used one. You would be better served by a S&W Model 10 than this boat anchor. If this isn't clear I assume you are inclined, for a reason I do not understand, to purchase the Backup and so be it. Regards, Richard.
Old July 11, 2000, 08:28 AM   #14
CANIS

I owned one and never had a lick of trouble with it. I found it to be a reliable and accurate (in relation to it's sights) handgun. It fed all types of .45 ammo and was nice and flat. I traded it for a custom hunting knife that I HAD to have. Wish I had another one. The stainless construction and lack of a lot of external bells and whistles made it an easy gun to use. It's not a target gun, so I don't see why the fuss about trigger pull on defensive handguns. If I want a great trigger pull, I'll put one on a target gun. The long, hard double action pull gives you a little more confidence that you can just tuck the gun away in a pocket and off you go without damaging your nether regions with a ND (Which I would be loathe to do with a baby glock)

Chris Canis
Old July 11, 2000, 08:39 AM   #15
Grapeshot

This is funny, Richard....before I saw your response, I was actually looking at at getting a S&W Model 65 instead of the Backup. I have practically given up on getting another pocket automatic, since there seems to be major flaws with about all types of them (just read the post from a couple days back about the Kel-tec P32's slide cracking). Sigh. If only I could be satisfied with my 638 ...
Old July 11, 2000, 09:32 AM   #16
Steve Smith

I saw a buddy's AMT a couple of days ago...I wasn't impressed. Heavy trigger (close to 20#), heavy gun, and almighty ugly.

------------------
Frontsight!
=========================
Why is everybody all boud up about the AK-47? YEAH, I GOT ONE, WHAT'S IT TO YA?!
Old July 11, 2000, 11:37 AM   #17
Grapeshot

20 pounds?
It seems some members here harbor a nearly fanatical hatred of these guns.
To be fair, here's AMT's reply (received quite promptly) to my e-mail inquiry:

------------------------------------------
Chris;

Trigger pull for the .45 Backup is 12-15 pounds. We generally test with hollowpoints and the gun should be reliable with most factory brands, try a couple of boxes before you carry. I have seen Texas Rangers shoot at 25 yards and keep rounds in a 8" target, this takes some practice. If your gun
would need repair we turn most around in less than 2 weeks unless a major part needs to be replaced and we have to fabricate it. Only guns that say "by Galena Industries" on the slide can be repaired at our factory.

David Small
Galena Industries
------------------------------------------

Why would Texax DPS authorize the Backup as a "backup" if it was as bad as some people here seem to think? Additionally, Galena offers a lifetime warranty according to their website. Not trying to be argumentative, just fair, as some respondents have had good luck with the gun.
Old July 11, 2000, 12:07 PM   #18
Kilroy

Having had a chance to put close to 750 rounds through a .45 BackUp, I have begun to really like this gun. When I first picked it up, I noted the trigger pull and weight. Giving it a chance on the range, I did not find the recoil excessive. I could see the utility of the trigger pull being heavy in such a small gun, being part of recoil management, and have learned to shoot the little gun quite well. For it's size, it is a very useful gun. I have found mine to function flawlessly. Once learned, the "sight" is no obstacle for accurate shooting. I think the biggest complaint folks have about the gun is in their understanding, or lack of, in the application of this gun. It is a close range self defense gun. Asking it to do other then that is not realistic. I am quite happy with mine. If I ever get a chance to talk with that WSJ reporter again, I will give him a thumbs up on this gun.

Kilroy...
...was here

PS: For me, the most important part is that it is in .45 ACP.

[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited July 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old July 11, 2000, 01:03 PM   #19
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Remember guys, the AMT Back-Up is just what it says it is - and nothing more.
Its no shooter or looker. Its a utility tool... and in .45ACP for that matter. And as it is in .45 makes a much better Utility Tool than any .32!
Because when it comes down to it - and your back up is your FINAL OPTION... I'ld want it in .45 for sure. Also the AMT comes in Stainless so it will last forever with just a little bit of care. Moth and Rust doth currupt - but nothing like sweat!
If you found a good deal on the AMT, go for it. .32? Leave that for James Bond's PPK and terrorists with those Skorpions.
Old July 11, 2000, 04:42 PM   #20
Richard

George Hill, I hope you have a hell of a set of pockets because if I remember correctly this thing is not only butt ugly but also it is heavy. It also seemed it wasn't the most user friendly to field strip and clean. Regards, Richard.
Old July 11, 2000, 06:30 PM   #21
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Richard, you are correct. Of course it is heavy - its practically a solid hunk of stainless steel cut unto a gun shape!

Joking aside - when I mention packing a gun at any time - I generally mean doin gso with a proper holster or rig of some fasion. I dont recomend POCKET CARRY for ANYTHING other than the tiniest of pistols like a Seacamp or NAA MINI...

Heavy or not the AMT .45 Backup does carry well un a tuckable IWB, bellyband, ankle or shoulder set up. There is also a Tshirt like device with a holster sewn in that would also work well. Thunderwear would also do good too. Pocket? Thats where you carry your Benchmade or Spyderco!
Old July 11, 2000, 08:10 PM   #22
Grapeshot

Call me weird, but I think it is a very attractive gun, especially compared to the klunkiness of a Kel-Tec. As for carry, I generally go IWB, except in the winter time, at which time I might want to slip it into my coat pocket. I have found that anything light enough to actually carry all day in my pants pocket is just too light to shoot effectively without extreme concentration .... my S&W alloy Bodyguard just seems too wispy. I'm thinking that the Backup would be heavy enough to feel like a "real gun" but light enough to be shoved in your pants pocket for a few minutes while answering the door.
Old July 11, 2000, 08:21 PM   #23
Grapeshot

While I have heard the 380's are darn near impossible to fieldstrip, I saw a pic in a gun rag of the .400 Cor-Bon Backup stripped and it appears not dissimilar to my Kahr - you pull the slide back and simultaneously push a large pin out from right to left (using a punch) and the gun comes apart. If my understanding is correct, like my Kahr, it's adequate but a real pain involving putting the gun in my vice.
Old July 11, 2000, 09:19 PM   #24
Jim V

Do what I do, only push the Backup's takedown pin out only far enough to catch in the notch on the slide. That holds the slide open, you can clean away and you don't have any problems putting it back together again.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"