The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 7, 2001, 10:48 PM   #1
Arizona Fusilier

As I had the awfull need to report earlier (on the General Discussion forum), my Glock 22 was stolen from my truck last week. As I ponder replacing it, I am confused on the current state of the law, which I thought I had a good grip on. Since the so-called "Crime Bill" was passed, I thought new weapons capable of accepting pre-ban high-capacity mags had to be marked "10 Round Only". Forgive me, I haven't been in the market for a large auto for a while, concentrating on my CCW battery. Now that I have given it some thought I have not seen this on any weapon.

If I replace my Glock 22 with brand new one, can I legally use pre-ban high capacity mags in it? In response to my recent purchase of my P229, someone suggested that I could.

Again, I thought I understood the law, but I just want to be sure.
Old June 7, 2001, 11:16 PM   #2
Bob Locke

If I replace my Glock 22 with brand new one, can I legally use pre-ban high capacity mags in it?

Absolutely. And I say that as someone who has recently worked for a gun shop.
Old June 7, 2001, 11:22 PM   #3
1911Ford

As I understand any high capacity magazine manufactured before I think it is 1994? Can be legally used by civilians. It has nothing to do with the gun but instead the magazine. So if the magazine is not marked for law enforcement only then you should be ok. You are probably looking at atleast $100 for any high cap mag that you would buy. Please someone correct me on this if I am wrong.
Old June 7, 2001, 11:44 PM   #4
blades67

The law limits the production of new magazines to ten rounds, not the gun itself. At least not in the free States.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old June 8, 2001, 09:54 AM   #5
branrot

1911Ford: You are wrong!!! (not entirely, but I couldn't resist).

You can get hi-cap mags for less than a hundred bucks (especially for the Beretta 92 for which milsurp mags are plentiful). I think you're right on about the rest of it, though.
Old June 8, 2001, 11:20 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Hi (standard) cap that will fit is legal.

One reason why we should insure that Smith & Wesson do not get away with their famous agreement(s). By stomping Smith we are encouraging the other brave manufacturers who refused to sign on with Smith. One of the many onerous parts of the agreement is that all new production handguns will NOT be compatable with previously existing standard cap magazines.

I am not a Glock fan but my hat is off to them for standing tough in the face of the feds. By boycotting Smith we are showing our appreciation.

Sam....my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R
Old June 9, 2001, 01:13 PM   #7
PugetSound5

How does that work out insurance-wise?

How does that work out insurance-wise? Is it better (or necessary?) to insure your guns separately or is the insurance company handling the theft of your gun and its compensation in the same way that they would treat the theft or any other property?

Also, since it was stolen out of your vehicle, are you being compensated by your auto insurance or by another insurance (such as house/personal property insurance etc..)?

PS5