The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 7, 2001, 01:09 AM   #26
BudLightyear

sideways gun holds...

In reference to the Chinese War Lords holding their full auto Mausers sidways...I was told by a Viet Nam Vet that he used to hold his Thompson Submachine gun sideways when he fired it for the same reason. It was easier to hold it down with his hand on top of the fore-end stock, and the barrel would not climb as much, and he could cut 'em down with it better. I think he was telling me the truth.
Old June 7, 2001, 01:23 PM   #27
LawDog211

LMAO

Israeli intelligence :Correct they do/did train this way but i doubt if any gang banger has studied thier way of combat so i doubt that they learned from them.

The post mentioned above about holding the weapon sideways to control movement may be correct and holding a full auto machine gun that way is ok since you are shooting at anything and everything with no reguards to what is behind the target.

Gang bangers do this because they think it is cool and i prefer them do it if im involved, i have a much better chance of going home this way, but it does pose a threat to innocents around since the idiot cant hit anything.So i say we make it illeagal for them to have guns and post signs around telling them to turn thier guns in because im sure they will and then we wont need guns anymore because the bad guys dont use them any longer
Old June 7, 2001, 05:28 PM   #28
RobW

It's time to make a law that it is ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY a criminal act to hold a gun horizontally, and in addition, to hold a banana as good as chicken-drumsticks "gun-wise". This will save our society from violence.
Old June 7, 2001, 06:40 PM   #29
Apple a Day

Wow, I'm impressed

Glock_racer,
You've not only got yo' gat sideways but your shades upside down and your hat on backwards. I think I see a trend here. Anyone else remember a brief period when kids were wearing shirts and pants backwards? I know some jackrabbits tilt their tails the opposite way when they turn to throw off chasing predators and some critters have fake eyes on the back ends to confuse persuers.
A buddy of mine is a cop who LOVES it when punks wear their pants low and shoes untied. He nabbed one kid who ran into a weedy lot when the kid's pants fell down and he lost his REALLY expensive shoes. The moron kept begging my friend , the LEO, to let him go back and look for his REALLY expensive shoes. Didn't happen and I hope whoever is wearing those shoes right now is happy with them.
Old June 7, 2001, 10:26 PM   #30
RadicalRight

This reminds me...

Do any of you recall that TV show "New York Undercover"? It was cancelled a couple years ago (thankfully). The two main characters were undercover cops (the Puerto Rican guy and the black guy, I didn't watch the show enough to learn their names). One of the reasons I couldn't stand the show was because they held their guns 'gangsta style'! They're cops! I know a lot of you are LEOS. If you saw your partner using a gun like that, would you want them watching your back? Hell NO!

Anyway, just my $.02
RadicalRight
Old June 7, 2001, 10:50 PM   #31
C.R.Sam

How bout iffen you be layin under a car and the bad guyz still tryin to get you, holdin it sideways works. Same with shotgun while you layin under concealment.......how many have a pump or auto that will feed while on it's side. Some do and some don't.

Decent accuracy is obtainable with gun in practically any position, just takes practice.

Sam
Old June 9, 2001, 01:11 PM   #32
KSFreeman

Hey, Glock Racer, why are your sunglasses upside down? Is this some West Coast homeboy style issue? Or did you see it in a gun mag that claimed it gave you some "tactical" advantage? Please enlighten me. Thanks much.