The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2022, 05:30 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Corn Cob Media Turned Green

I have been tumbling batches of brass in my FART. Something different happened in the latest batch. The corn cob media turned green. This media had been used several times, but was yellow when I put it in with 500 LC 5.56. That brass had been spilled in my garage and was swept up and cleaned, including a wet Tumble with pins and blue FART juice. So, put that fairly clean looking brass into the dried tumbler, with the reused media. I kept checking the brass and tumbled at least 6 hours. Shined up OK. But now I think I need to toss that media. Any ideas on what caused the color change?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221121_141816.jpg (543.0 KB, 98 views)
Old November 21, 2022, 05:58 PM   #2
Metal god

No but as mine gets dirtier it changes color . I think one could call it green . Not the same as yours but not to far from it either .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 21, 2022, 06:05 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Thanks. I put a bunch of capfuls of NuFinish in that media, a cap or two before each 1000 piece run.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 21, 2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old November 21, 2022, 06:22 PM   #4
50 shooter

You only need a cupful or two, you might be adding to much polish and that's why you're having issues with it.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 21, 2022, 07:00 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Tossed it

I just sorted through that last batch of brass and it left a bluish residue on my hands, that I promptly washed off.
That media got a lot of use tumbling big batches of brass. I guess when the color changes, and polishing had already slowed way down, that is a clear indicator the media is used up and needs replacing.
That media has been transferred to a plastic jar for disposal. I am going to tumble the last batch again with clean corn cob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221121_141825.jpg (335.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 23, 2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Add Facts
Old November 23, 2022, 03:33 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Doesn't look all that bad, if you ask me. I do think after reading your follow-up post, I'd recommend wearing nitrile gloves when handling the media. And, if it's at the point residue is left on your hands, it's time to address it. If you're the frugal type, you can use Dawn or equivalent, to wash the media. It's loaded up with gunk and will take a couple of washing cycles to get it back up to snuff. Personally, I think it's a pain and not worth the few dollars saved.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 24, 2022, 11:11 PM   #7
hdwhit

Probably nothing more than the media getting saturated with oxide from the brass.

But, corn cob media is derived from corn and if the media gets wet and is allowed to stay wet, the media could be starting to ferment.

In either case, it is time for new tumbling media.
Old November 25, 2022, 12:01 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Corn cob media is derived from corn cobs, not grain corn. During the U.S. Civil War starving confederate troops made corn cob soup. They lost the war. No yeast smell in mine, it smells of auto polish. Now, if you would like to try making home brew from mine, I would suggest adding fermentable sugars, excess fruit, hops if feeling fancy, and a good dose of live yeast. Good luck with that.
Old November 25, 2022, 12:59 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
During the U.S. Civil War starving confederate troops made corn cob soup. They lost the war.
LOL, are you stringing random bits of information together or are you drawing some sort of conclusion?
Old November 25, 2022, 10:18 PM   #10
Marco Califo

Well, Double Naught Spy,
Let it ferment, then,
Catch as catch can.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 26, 2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Typos
Old November 27, 2022, 12:40 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

You seem to be drawing a conclusion that the Confederates ate corn cob soup and them losing the war is somehow tied to that. No fermenting necessary.
Old November 27, 2022, 12:49 PM   #12
Marco Califo

I was poking fun at hdwhit bringing up fermentation. I do not believe corncob media is fermentable.
You are correct that I strung together bits of information leading no where, consistent with hdwhit's fermentation angle. Sorry if that confused you.
Old November 27, 2022, 01:36 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

If it is made of/from organic material (plant/animal matter) it can rot.

Fermenting is a special form of that, as bluing is a special form of rust. One can still have rot without fermenting, if the conditions and materials for fermentation are not present.

Still, I think your answer might be closer to home...

Quote:
This media had been used several times, but was yellow when I put it in with 500 LC 5.56. That brass had been spilled in my garage and was swept up and cleaned, including a wet Tumble with pins and blue FART juice.
IF I remember art class correctly, yellow and blue make green!!!
Old November 27, 2022, 06:39 PM   #14
Marco Califo

After tumbling with pins, I drained, and poured off the now black blue FART juice directly into a toilet. I rinsed the brass, and used a media separator and strainers, pouring back and forth. The tumbler body was stored open end down overnight indoors (very dry air). It was dry to the touch. The media was around a gallon in volume. I do think the media picked a lot of tarnish, which caused its effectiveness to degrade in that last run.
Old December 6, 2022, 07:38 PM   #15
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
Thanks. I put a bunch of capfuls of NuFinish in that media, a cap or two before each 1000 piece run.
Adding too much Nu-Finish or any other Liquid car wax will "Load Up " the media and stop it's cleaning action .
Keep the media as dry as you can and it will last the longest ... when it stops cleaning just dump it and change it ... adding more liquid isn't how to fix it ...
All media wears out and corn cob being the softest wears out the quickest .

For my money Midway USA Treated Walnut Shell polishing media last the longest and is the best value ... as long as you refrain from adding liquid car wax to it ... wet media isn't good ... you want nice dry media .
Gary
Old December 6, 2022, 08:22 PM   #16
reynolds357

Mine starts out green because I put the green Lyman junk in it.
Old December 18, 2022, 10:03 PM   #17
The Happy kaboomer

The best value media is "Lizard Litter" from Petsmart.........Ground walnut hulls/corn cob. A 10 lb bag is only a couple of $$$.