The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 18, 2007, 05:55 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Mossy Oak "Brush" pattern

I really like this pattern, and to my untrained eye seems like it would work to blend you much better than the other patterns. Most other patterns tend to just make you look dark overall from a distance, which can make you stand out, especially in the fall & winter. "Brush" is lighter and I think is more blending from a distance in most fall/winter surroundings - it's essentially the light tan color of a deer (who are very hard to see in the winter), with the added advantage of grass-like breakup and sparse spotty breakup of the overall outline. Should be real good for turkeys. Have to give it a big thumbs up - too bad I can't afford any new hunting clothes at this time.....

http://www.mossyoak.com/content/tmpl...id=48&zoneid=1

Put your cursor over each of the four little boxes on the lower right hand side of that page. While the "Duck Blind" pattern is an improvement over the Breakup and Obsession for winter use, I think that the Brush is even a step better than the Duck Blind, *including* use in marshy waterfowl areas - the Brush seems to be an anywhere & everywhere pattern for the late fall/winter.
Old October 18, 2007, 06:03 PM   #2
castnblast

I'm going to replace some camo and was looking at it. I think it's going to blend exceptionally well in the brush we have down here in S. TX. Also w/ the Head high grass we have in places because of all the rain...All 50" of it we've had since June. I'm not complaining though...Last year we couldn't buy a drop. You guys in the South East are going through what we had last year. I don't envy you.
Old October 19, 2007, 07:26 AM   #3
stevelyn

I still haven't found anything better than http://www.asatcamo.com

http://www.predatorcamo.com comes in a close second.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 19, 2007, 08:53 AM   #4
armoredman

Natural Gear, great for AZ.
Old October 19, 2007, 10:21 PM   #5
MeekAndMild

Lets face it. No matter what you wear its going to blend in with the background if you sit still but not if you move around. Deer can't see bluejeans, a red checkered shirt and a blaze orange vest as long as you're still and quiet.

Camouflage clothing is a fashion statement, the male equivalent of sequined flip flops and capri pants.
Old October 20, 2007, 10:30 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
Camouflage clothing is a fashion statement, the male equivalent of sequined flip flops and capri pants.
That statement may be a bit extreme, but it does ring true. I think most of todays Hi Def. camo is more for the hunter than the game. IMHO, most of the small patterned, highly detailed camo like this new brush pattern tends to blend in to a solid color at reasonably short distances making them only as effective of other clothing of the same color. I'm thinkin at 100 yards, it would look very similar to my old duck brown Carhartts(which do very well for me in late fall). Over my 40+ years of bow hunting I have killed bucks wearing everything from blue-jeans and wool shirts to full fledged camo in many different patterns. I have even killed bucks wearing snow-camo in my treestand after the leaves have fallen off the trees. Like MeekAndMild, I believe movement and color shades are more important than a particular camo pattern. I myself have gone back to using Military Surplus woodland camo because of the cost and it's effectiveness. I turkey hunt with a friend, who buys the newest pattern out every spring and have yet to see any difference in the reaction of the birds we hunt, by the difference in camo patterns. If you sit still enough and don't stick out like a sore thumb, they still will walk right up to you. The other stuff may be prettier sittin in the restaurant before and after the hunt, but the only increase in effectiveness over the old stuff may be the hunter's confidence in it.
Old October 20, 2007, 11:12 AM   #7
castnblast

I agree to disagree. Camo for the hunter may not be as big a deal if you are 10-15 ft or higher in the air. However, if you are hunting on the ground at eye level, w/a bow it's a whole 'nuther ball game. I used to hunt in Del Rio, TX where the tallest tree is about the size of the hedges in most people's front yard. Forget tripods, and never mind treestands. You got to be in full good quality camo. That brush pattern is just that.
Old October 26, 2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Fat White Boy

I sit and watch these TV programs with these Southern guys in camo, scent lock, etc. Then I watched a show about hunting in California. The guide and the hunter wore Levi's and tan shirts. The only time I have worn Camo in California was hunting Geese in an open field. I have successfully hunted pigs, quail, chukar, ducks and varmints without camo.

Is this a Southern thing or what?
Old October 26, 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
MeekAndMild

Come to think of it sequined flip flops seem to be more of a southern fashion too. Maybe you've got something there.

I don't know about Texas deer but I do know that in Mississippi I've had deer walk up on me when I was wearing blue jeans and a red checkered shirt. Had a squirrel come down the tree and sit on my orange cap once. That was really weird.
Old October 27, 2007, 12:58 AM   #10
CamoCop

if you like that pattern, look at Realtree's AP and APG patterns.
Old October 27, 2007, 03:57 PM   #11
castnblast

Depends on how much pressure they recieve in a particular area. I find the higher the population, the less skiddish they are. In the hill country you can get away w/ no camo. In Del Rio on the TX/MX border, forget it. Same in my county in refugio...they are SPOOKY...Down the road where the pop is higher off 202, not nearly as skiddish.