The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2008, 08:27 PM   #1
kayakersteve

Hornady TAP 45 ACP +P

Got my hands on this ammo - It feeds great and is potent in penetration. Anyone else using this in their carry guns??? Seems nice to me; Will probably buy more and use for carry - Get it at Sportsman Guide for 14.75 per 20 (not bad for this type of ammo)

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...85adead52ee5b6
Old January 9, 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
PSP

I just ordered some 230 gr TAP FPD on Sunday from them. I've used it for about a year as my carry ammo. It is consistently accurate, high quality, low recoil (I don't use +P) and little, to no, muzzle flash. Great ammo.
Old January 9, 2008, 10:01 PM   #3
MGD 45

I currently carry the 200 gr. XTP+P in my XD45. I love the ammo and it shoots great, and I've had to shot a bull with it on duty on night.
Old January 9, 2008, 11:40 PM   #4
IdahoG36

I haven't shot the Tap .45acp, but I carry Hornady Tap in my GLOCK 23. I have found it to be some very accurate shooting stuff. I couldn't believe the group the first time I shot some out of my old Springfield XD Tactical. It produced some excellent groups.
Old January 10, 2008, 03:25 AM   #5
ragwd

I use 200gr in my carry hk usp .45c, good stuff and I got mine from "ammo to go" for 140 for 200 rds. I am happy with it but really its the only .45 hp that i have ever used. So i have nothing to compare it with.
Old January 10, 2008, 05:59 AM   #6
timothy75

I carry the 200gr but plan to replace it since the stats I've seen show a little more penertration than I wanted. Its very accuate and reliable however. Whats odd is I've seen the TAP crowd bash it online stating its dirty and inaccurate compared to the TAP. But I'm skeptical regarding their claims.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:28 AM   #7
kayakersteve

I went out last night after dark and shot 15 rounds at an old junk car in our back pasture - I had my son there trying to catch it with my camera, but the shutter lag makes timing this impossible - Anyhow, there is still a good flash out of barrel of my 4.25 inch Sig. Hard for me to tell if muzzel flash is any less than other ammo as proclaimed, but I still like it reliability if feeding and accuracy. I also hunt with the XTP bullet that is in these and it is a proven performer on game.
Old January 10, 2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Manedwolf

It's okay, but the design is old now. I used to have some, but switched to Cor-Bon DPX +P, the one with the all-copper Barnes bullet. Excellent barrier penetration and expansion in tissue.
Old January 10, 2008, 10:32 AM   #9
kayakersteve

I haven't tried the DPX, but did try the flying ashtray, JHP's by Corbon and they did not fee reliably for my Sig. All other have so far. - I have seen the expansion of the XTP in deer from a 454 and 44 and have been very impressed.
Old January 10, 2008, 02:56 PM   #10
ForneyRider

What's so great about an extra 50-100fps the +P gives you in the 230gr?
Old January 10, 2008, 03:28 PM   #11
kayakersteve

That is a good question and I don't know that there is anything better about them - I think it is just shooter preference. Infact, there aren't good studies to demonstrate they are more effective than golden sabres or Hydrashoks.
Old January 10, 2008, 03:42 PM   #12
johnle

I trust my life with them, they are accurate and expand well. They just don't expand as wide as the gold dot or HST rounds but regardless they are low flash reliable and plenty deadly. The XTP is among the most accurate bullets, and that's probably the most important to me.
Old January 10, 2008, 03:46 PM   #13
kayakersteve

That's while they are called 'XTP' bullets - Extreme Terminal Performance! I have seen the damage they do to a deer; that's testimony enough for me.
Old January 10, 2008, 04:02 PM   #14
yomama

sealant

I love the TAP, but it does not have sealant for the bullet or primer. I called the factory, and they couldn't tell me shelf life expectancy. If anyone knows this I would love to know.
Old January 10, 2008, 04:31 PM   #15
tulsamal

Quote:
I had my son there trying to catch it with my camera, but the shutter lag makes timing this impossible
That's why you use a tripod and then use an open shutter. Open shutter, fire gun, close shutter. Use a locking release so nothing moves.

Gregg
Old January 10, 2008, 04:34 PM   #16
TDrift

.45 Acp

What does "ACP" mean?
Old January 10, 2008, 05:56 PM   #17
PSP

Automatic Colt Pistol. Differentiates it from other similar sized ammo.

A little off topic;
I just tried some of this Homeland Defender, Fear No Evil ammo. 230gr JHP +p in my Kahr P45. Holy smokes, this ammo is hot!.. Too hot for my little Kahr. Accurate though, but it made me start to flinch and that hasn't happened in a long, long time.
Old January 10, 2008, 10:15 PM   #18
johnle

Quote:
I love the TAP, but it does not have sealant for the bullet or primer. I called the factory, and they couldn't tell me shelf life expectancy. If anyone knows this I would love to know.
Just rotate, I think this ammo should be fine for 6 months unless you live in a humid area where the walls sweat with humidity...then in that case I'd find new ammo every couple of weeks anyway
Old January 10, 2008, 11:39 PM   #19
Unregistered

Quote:
I think this ammo should be fine for 6 months unless you live in a humid area where the walls sweat with humidity...then in that case I'd find new ammo every couple of weeks anyway
Wow, you must throw away a lot of ammo. I suspect if you stored the ammo in a cool, dry place, it will last indefinitely. I have reloaded for years, and never used any sealant. I have never had a problem with ammo going bad.
Old January 11, 2008, 02:43 AM   #20
Crosshair

Quote:
What's so great about an extra 50-100fps the +P gives you in the 230gr?
Very good question. The answer, for me at least, is that it increases the chance that a hollowpoint will work as advertised. We all know Mr Murphy likes to screw us up and low impact velocity tends to screw up HP performance.

Yes it might only turn a HP that expands 95% of the time into one that expands 97% of the time, But if the shooter and gun can handle the extra power, why not.

In the end, we all carry the ammo we feel is the most effective.
Old January 11, 2008, 07:13 AM   #21
kayakersteve

Caught The Fire

Last night we went out again and my son caught the fire from shooting these Hornady TAPS +P rounds - It is definately less fire than other rounds I have shot, but still an obvious flash. One other pic also caught the flying brass that ended up hitting my son.
See pic at:
http://www.kayakforfun.com/gunsbowsandreels.html
Old January 11, 2008, 10:33 AM   #22
kayakersteve

Here's the picture.....

Old January 11, 2008, 12:50 PM   #23
johnle

I don't toss it out when I rotate, I shoot it!
its getting rid of old ammo , practice with my defense ammo and it test function!
Old January 11, 2008, 11:34 PM   #24
softmentor

I used it for a while. I was very happy with performance and accuracy. But I noticed that the black plating on the casings was scratching off. I didn't like that, nor the idea that what was scratching off could build up in my gun. I switched to a round that is all brass case. My current round is Silvertips. they have been around a long time, are field proven, and did well in an accuracy test in the same gun I carry on duty, an HK .40. Hydroshocks and Ranger are also popular rounds and very high quality
Old January 12, 2008, 06:55 AM   #25
rantingredneck

All three of my .45's are currently stoked with 230GR TAP +P's. Accurate, potent and dependable.