The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 10, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1
GunGator

Fixed sight replacement/modification

So I have a couple old wheelies that have fixed front sights. Anyone know of a product, or have a homemade solution as to how to illuminate (or maybe I should say make more visible) a front sight? Short of grinding of the sight and tapping a new one, I am out of ideas? In particular I am interested in a fiberoptic type set up so I can actually see whwere I'm aiming. The older I get the harder it is to use fixed metal sights on a dimly lit range. Any thoughts?

TIA
GG
Old December 10, 2006, 05:37 PM   #2
hpg

I don't know of one.....hpg
Old December 10, 2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Brian Williams

Day-glow Orange construction marking paint.
Old December 11, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4
DWARREN123

I have used white model paint mixed with a little epoxy glue, works well and lasts.
Old December 12, 2006, 03:31 AM   #5
glockopop

clarkcustomguns.com can convert your front sight to take a pinned front sight, so you could use either a partridge sight with a bead or a fiber optic sight. It ain't exactly cheap, but it's a Clark job so surely it'll be worth it.
Old December 12, 2006, 06:23 PM   #6
JN01

I second the day-glo orange paint idea. I have the same problem that you have with aging eyes, and painting my front sights has worked well for me (plus it is cheap and easy). Make sure you degrease the sight first and put on a flat white primer coat. Without the primer underneath, the orange doesn't "pop" nearly as bright.

Try it out, if it doesn't work for you, you're not out much and you can try something else.
Old December 12, 2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Tom2

Ditto

Follow that procedure above especially if the gun has the awful useless stainless steel sights that no one can see clearly. Well at least that is the cheap way. What I do anyway. Be sure to mask off the back edge faceing you of the front sight with scotch tape to make a neat job of it. I have seen front sights with red fingernail polish slathered all over and it looks cheesy. But you must degrease for the tape and paint to stick. If you use an enamel and not a water based acrylic paint, it will stand up reasonably well in normal use and is cheap to redo. Otherwise you are stuck getting a custom installation or one of the new guns that have fibre optics installed already at the factory. Or laser grips.