The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2024, 08:35 PM   #26
Pat T

I remember my Dad suspending sacks of unused corn seed from a ceiling joist in our tool shed by a 3 foot piece of baler twine. Mice & rats can't climb down a rope, or so I have been told. Seemed to work.
Old April 27, 2024, 09:31 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Mice & rats can't climb down a rope, or so I have been told.
Depends on the size of the mouse or rat and the size of the rope.

A full size rat probably would have trouble with a piece of twine or string. A larger rope or a ship's hawser is a highway to them.
Old April 28, 2024, 07:22 AM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Another consideration when storing powder is your homeowner’s insurance. As long as you follow your local ordinances you’re fine in case of a house fire. Deviate from this and you may find your insurance company balking at paying for any damages in case of a fire. These ordinances will specify what constitutes a proper storage container but also the allowed amount of powder you can store. If I were in this situation with rodents I’d use the traps that the professional pest control people use. In my area there is one way around this, there is no limit to how much loaded ammo you can store.
Old April 29, 2024, 04:12 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

One word of advice: don't use desiccants for powder storage. Lowering the moisture content of powder raises its burn rate. Norma has a bunch of plots in their print manual showing a 110-12% difference in burn rate, going from 80% humidity to near 0%. You want the relative humidity level at which your powder maker stores and ships stock for the load data they publish to remain valid. Norma also showed that loaded cartridges will equilibrate on the inside with the relative humidity on the outside over about a year, so you don't want desiccant with your loaded round, either.

You can get a digital humidity control on eBay for less than $30. If you have a lot of humidity in your storage locations, wet it up to control a Golden Rod or similar heater inside your storage container. Put it in with your stored stock and give it a circulation path (or use a small computer fan) and you will have controlled relative humidity.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 30, 2024, 06:46 PM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
One word of advice: don't use desiccants for powder storage. Lowering the moisture content of powder raises its burn rate. Norma has a bunch of plots in their print manual showing a 110-12% difference in burn rate, going from 80% humidity to near 0%. You want the relative humidity level at which your powder maker stores and ships stock for the load data they publish to remain valid. Norma also showed that loaded cartridges will equilibrate on the inside with the relative humidity on the outside over about a year, so you don't want desiccant with your loaded round, either.

You can get a digital humidity control on eBay for less than $30. If you have a lot of humidity in your storage locations, wet it up to control a Golden Rod or similar heater inside your storage container. Put it in with your stored stock and give it a circulation path (or use a small computer fan) and you will have controlled relative humidity.
I'm guessing it varies somewhat--but do they recommend an ideal storage environment humidity level?
Old April 30, 2024, 08:31 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

IIRC, Norma stores and fills containers in 50-60% RH. But I seem to recall Hodgdon was ten percent higher, but it was so long ago I don't trust my memory. You can phone them and ask.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 1, 2024, 12:19 AM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
IIRC, Norma stores and fills containers in 50-60% RH. But I seem to recall Hodgdon was ten percent higher, but it was so long ago I don't trust my memory. You can phone them and ask.
Thanks--that's exactly the range I keep the humidity level at in my storage area, just curious.
Old May 2, 2024, 04:39 PM   #33
rmh3481

How about an old non running refrigerator? Vented from the box to the freezer. I dont have alot in mine but its been in use for a couple generations.

Tags
powder magazine , propellant , storage