The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 12, 2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Rick Finsta

Butt Pad for K31?

Anyone know of a butt/recoil pad that fits (and works) well on the K31? I recently started shooting high power matches, and my shoulder is killing me after going through the course of fire. I'm not looking to spend a ton, but don't want junk, either.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 12, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Darren007

Slip on recoil pads from Limbsaver are pretty darn good. I sometimes use one on a Mauser K98 during extended range sessions where Im firing 200-300 rounds. They work great.

I bought mine at Sportsmans Warehouse for $20.00. Ive seen them at Gander Mtn and Bass Pro Shops as well. you can also order on through Midway USA.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Rick Finsta

Sweet! Thanks!
Old May 12, 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Technosavant

I just use a neoprene/gel slip on recoil pad. Got mine from Brownells. Doesn't look pretty, but it required absolutely alteration to the gun and it eats up recoil rather well.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:32 PM   #5
PotatoJudge

http://www.grafs.com/product/200100
Old May 14, 2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Rick Finsta

Okay, I picked up one of the Limbsaver (Size medium) from Dunham's. I had looked at the St. Marie's unit at Graf's when I was looking at (and dreaming about) the diopters, but it looked like it might make the butt of the rifle quite a bit longer. It fit me very well without anything on it, and now with the Limbsaver unit it feels bigger, though not ungainly.

I'll probably end up trying one of the adapters eventually, though, as the Limbsaver unit is kind of ugly on this thing...

Thanks again for the help!
Old May 15, 2008, 01:52 PM   #7
jrfoxx

Quote:
Slip on recoil pads from Limbsaver are pretty darn good
Agreed.Not only that, they dont require ANY alteration of the gun, so you can take it off to have the gun look "corret" when not shooting, and you can switch it from gun to gun as neeed in seconds. I LOVE mine. I swap it betwen a fair number of guns at the range, even ones with ligh recoil, as the rubber helps the butt stay in place for better shooting. Oh, and they are cheap too.