The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 11, 2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Bitmap

Just take a file to that rear sight. You should be able to get it to zero.
Old February 11, 2009, 09:23 AM   #27
SilentHitz

I know you were kidding Bitmap...at least I hope you were.
Old February 11, 2009, 09:35 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I bet as many krauts fell to a head shot when the soldier was actually going for COM...
I am guessing the 1 foot at 20 feet would be close to POA/POI with 50 or so feet.
Cool to see the old tin pistol still hacking holes in stuff!
Brent
Old February 11, 2009, 10:07 AM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
The prices ranged from around $1700 to $2250 on five of them, and almost four thousand on the sixth because it had all its original accoutrements; Gun, outer box, inner box, ten rounds of '42 FA factory ammo, cardboard ammo box, instructions, ejector dowel, and spacer block. The spacer block was just a small block of wood that kept things in place inside the box.
This was posted in 2005, I wonder how selling prices on these look today?

History, for sure. You've got to be a hardcore collector to have one of these pieces in your collection. Either you bought it ($$$$$) or you have it, knowing you could sell it for $$$$$$.

I'd definitely shoot one if someone offered it up for a shot. If I found one or was gifted one, I'd have that SOB sold ASAP.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Sevens

Heh, GB has two current. Cheaper one is $2,000, nicer one is $3,000. Niether has box or goodies. The $3,000 one looks new.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:18 AM   #31
Jbar4Ranch

It has been fired once more since this write up, by a friend of mine from Michigan, and that will likely be the last shot until it eventually passes on to someone else.

I had a second one, a factory cut down, that was used to show workers and military/government liaisons how it went together and functioned. It was owned by George Hyde after the war, one of the original designers of the gun, and was one of only two confirmed to have been cut down at the factory and used as such. A collector in Indiana made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so it is no longer with me.

I also have thirteen of the original FA42 headstamped .45 acp rounds that were packaged with these, and one original instruction sheet.

SASS 47015
Old February 11, 2009, 02:19 PM   #32
bufordtjustice

Jbar,

Thanks again for the post. I really enjoyed reading it.
Old February 11, 2009, 03:42 PM   #33
SIGSHR

Thanks for sharing with us. Since these guns were probably designed and assembled by "workers" and not gun people, I suspect they were never even
test fired, hence the fact that the sights are so far off was never really discovered. I note that all of my BP revolvers and pistols shoot high-9-12"-for me, and my Star Model B also shoots about 6" high.
Old February 11, 2009, 07:13 PM   #34
#1 Moses

When i was young & dumb I was dragged to a small gun show way north of my town of Pittsburgh, Pa my friend was a avid parker, lefever shot gun guy. Would scour the small out of the way gun shows in local fire halls. Me being a pistolero I check out some of the pistols. one table a old timer had the liberators one nice two other with surface rust and pits we chatted about them as a veteran I knew about them from books but had never seen one in person. Im guess this was about 1980 or so. the old fellow eyes lit up when he saw I was intrested. the price tags read the best one $65.00 the other two rusty ones $30.00 and $25.00. I had no idea how rare they were thought about buying the nicest one. then decided no way!! But I was thinkin offer pap $100.00 for all three he might have went for it! Young and Dumb!!
Old February 12, 2009, 01:32 AM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

Interesting writeup. Thanks for taking the time.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:54 PM   #36
vox rationis

That's really neat...you are like one of those historian investigators that put to test historical technology to gain a better understanding of how things really happened.

But I'm stunned that a rudimentary zip gun, with a smooth bore barrel, displayed such precision and obtained a sub 2" 5 shot group at 20 feet!
Old February 14, 2009, 03:44 AM   #37
saspic

Quote:
originally posted by Dave R
Will it be the prototype for the Kel-Tec P4ty-Five?
Well, on a tangent, the Kahr P45 has been released.
http://kahr.com/PA-1_45acp_p.html
As well as the TP45 CW45, and PM45.
http://kahr.com/PA-1_45acp.html
Old March 15, 2011, 04:03 PM   #38
hduke1982

Both guns,Liberator and Deer gun are rare to find these day's. I my self have never fired ether. My grand father Russel James moure past down the liberator pistol and deer gun to me and my brother Bradly moure. When he passed away in 1984. Along with an extensive collection of blue prints and designs. I'm very proud of my grandfather and love the history behind these guns.
Old March 30, 2011, 02:01 PM   #39
PeterC

Shooting the Liberator Pistol

As you may have heard, there's an outfit in KY, Vintage Ordnance Company (www.VintageOrdnance.com) that is making a replica of this pistol. Price is $599.50, which is a fraction of what you'd pay for an original. It's made from better materials than the original, and has the BATF-required rifling and discretely marked serial number and manufacturer's name and address, plus exact replicas of the original box, instructions, "ejector" dowel, etc. Given the design's inherent lack of safety, the maker strongly recommends that it not be fired.
Old March 30, 2011, 02:04 PM   #40
Usertag

I have wanted to shoot a liberator for so long. It's basically a dream of mine. But it's funny how that gun only shoot's .45ACP at 900ft/s.
Old March 30, 2011, 02:47 PM   #41
brickeyee

Quote:
It's interesting to know those Liberators shoot a foot high at 20 feet. I wonder how many resistance fighters missed a close head shot? With the 230-grain ball, it would group even higher wouldn't it?
That is about 40 times (or more) its intended range.

This was a 'put it against the guy and pull the trigger' type weapon.

If you need another shot, pick up HIS gun and use it.

Shooting at contact distance will also help muffle the sound of the shot.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:44 AM   #42
Jbar4Ranch

I still have it, and my Michigan buddy remains the last person to have shot it.

As a side note, the Vintage Ordnance copies, as received, are NON-FIRING replicas, as the hole in the breech plate for the firing pin is not drilled at the factory. They do, however, tell you exactly where and how to drill the hole... while recommending NOT to do it... and state that it is not meant to be fired... CYA! I suppose a person could be in violation of Federal law by drilling said hole... ATF might construe this as being a manufacturer... I dunno.

These guns, even Vintage Ordnance repros, won't hold up to more than about 50 standard pressure rounds before the breech plate and its support guides are bent to the point of being inoperable or possibly even structural failure. The loads I used had just enough powder to poot the projectile out the barrel and bounce off the plywood backstop, barely leaving a dent in the wood.

SASS 47015
Old March 31, 2011, 11:16 AM   #43
mavracer

Thanks for sharing this with us
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."