The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 30, 2002, 12:57 AM   #1
HKguy9

The Making of a New Shooter: Tactical Girl Goes Shopping

Got back from taking twoblink's, and now my, friend shooting.

Day One:

First night out was a safety primer: safe operations, 4 commandments, and the operation of a handgun.

Shooter memorized and understood all the rules before we left the house.

Safety features of Beretta demonstrated. Modern handguns are overengineered to the point they are ridiculously 'safe'.

Range visit had her shooting with a .22 rental. Frontsight. Press. Frontsight. Press.

Balanced a quarter on the front sight until she could pull the trigger without dropping it.

One shot at a time in the magazine. Then two. Then three. Then five. Then vary amount of rounds to demonstrate any newfound tendancy to flinch. 'See that flinch? You thought there was going to be a round in there. Just let the gun come up. All you're doing is pushing the shot down.'

Shots on large paper target. Put targets on paper, focus front sight and press. Don't worry about 10-rings just yet. Just put lead on paper.

Lots of 10-ring and X-ring shots on the hanging bad guy. Very good.

Day Two.

Visit to local gun store. Got her BFSC, the Cali handgun purchase permit. Handled, fondled and oohed and ahhed at handguns.

Had to dispel marketing hype and myths about handguns.

Seal Team so and so uses this. LAPD uses that. Delta Force uses this. Can you reach that lever? Can you reach that trigger? Get the right gun for you. It doesnt' matter what GSG-9 uses if you can't chamber your round and reach the trigger. Good.

Liked the Beretta Vertec. Liked the CZ75.

Day Three.

Return trip to the gun store. Ooohed and ahhed at more guns. She decided what she liked and didn't like. She has TINY hands. Even the Beretta Vertec, CZ75 and Sig 229 were too large, after further manipulation. Singlestack .45s like the 1911 and Sig 220 were too much as well.

Looking at singlestack 9mms:
Ladysmith
Beretta 92 FCM. Not in stock but wanted her to check it out as she liked the feel of the Vertec though it was a smidgeon too large. While I'm not going to push it on her, it does fit the criteria of a singlestack 9mm. Whether or not she likes it, I want her to see it before she decides....
Sig 239. Good, but was only stocked in .357 Sig. Right now she is looking closely at the Sig 239 in 9mm.

Day Four:

Not yet, but will be another visit to the range. I have free rentals. We will buy oodles of 9mm and try everything offered. Some .40 and .45 to get the feel. But right now it's a try the Sig before she buys.

"I want my first gun to be all black. I like the way that Sig looked and felt." Only thing she missed about the Sig was the ability to throw a taclight on there. She's planning to sign on to TFL within the next few days. My vibes must be rubbing off.

Tactical lady in the making. 'Next thing you're gonna need is a shotgun. See that on the wall? It has your name written all over it.'
Old November 30, 2002, 01:04 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

CZ-75 too large? Wow, she does have small hands.

Make sure she tucks that shotgun into her shoulder less she has it kick her brutally.
Old November 30, 2002, 01:38 AM   #3
Preacherman

Skunk, I recently had the same problem, trying to find a handgun for a lady with very small hands. I took her in to Clark Guns & Personal Safety in Bossier City, LA, which is owned by Kay Clark Miculek, who has I don't know how many US and international shooting titles to her credit (USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun, etc.). I got Kay to walk her through the "fitting" process, and this is what we came up with:

- Any of the Kahr models were fine - in fact, the new polymer-frame ones were actually a bit small. She found the K9 and K40 to be very comfortable. (I haven't seen the new T9 yet, but I understand the width and/or circumference of the grip is the same as the K9, just longer.);

- The SW99 and Walther P99, with the smallest of the three backstraps installed, fit OK;

- The SIG 239 was a reasonable fit, but not as good as the '99's cited above;

- The Glock 36 was a very good fit;

- The smaller single-stack S&W pistols were not a good fit;

- The K-frame, round-butt S&W revolvers were a good fit.

She eventually decided that the Glock 36 was the best "fit" for her. I encouraged the choice, because I'm a fan of the larger calibers for defensive use. She ended up buying one, and is shooting it very well at defensive ranges. (She also hit up on me for one of my collection of S&W 66's, this one a 2½" bbl. with a Clark-tuned trigger. Why did I let her shoot it? Why? Why? I guess that's the penalty of taking a good friend shooting...)

Hope this helps in your own decision-making process.
Old November 30, 2002, 02:04 AM   #4
Schuey2002

Quote:
Make sure she tucks that shotgun into her shoulder less she has it kick her brutally.
Also,you could have her shoot some Aguila 12ga. Minishells which would be alot easier on her shoulder...
Old November 30, 2002, 02:29 AM   #5
HKguy9

Quote:
CZ-75 too large? Wow, she does have small hands.

Yes, she has tiny hands. Small hands, even shorter fingers.

She is also left eyed, right handed. She will have to learn to shoot shotgun left-handed. No shotguns yet. Handgun right the heck now before the new licensing scheme starts. She did fondle the HK Fabarm, Benelli and 870, just to get a feel for each. Not sure which one she likes right now, it's too early and we didn't talk about shotguns much.

We didn't talk rifles at all either, but shotgun and handgun should more than cover her for now. We didn't mention it, but chances are she'll get an M1A so she can be like me and Twoblink

Quote:
- Any of the Kahr models were fine - in fact, the new polymer-frame ones were actually a bit small. She found the K9 and K40 to be very comfortable. (I haven't seen the new T9 yet, but I understand the width and/or circumference of the grip is the same as the K9, just longer.);
- The SW99 and Walther P99, with the smallest of the three backstraps installed, fit OK;
- The K-frame, round-butt S&W revolvers were a good fit.
Thanks for mentioning that. I almost for the Kahrs (I don't think Turner's carries 'em??) but will check those out. I will let her fondle and if possible, shoot the P99s, too.

And the P7M8. She didn't get to see mine but I have the feeling she'll dig it
Old November 30, 2002, 06:39 AM   #6
BMWGS80

Another good choice might be the Walther P5 for a pistol. You cann't beat a K frame for a carry revolver. Try to get a 3" in her hand.

For a shotgun if the rest of her is as petit as her hands try a Remington 870 or 1100 Youth Turkeygun 21" bbl with short stock.

I would go for a 20 ga. as opposed to a 12 and use Rem LE and field loads.

A good long gun if she gets a .38/357 is a Marlin 1894 tricked out with AO sights. Otherwise anyone can handle an AR or Mini-14.

Good luck, have some fun.

Cheers,

ts
Old November 30, 2002, 11:09 AM   #7
HKguy9

She has no interest in revolvers...they just don't do it for her...to each their own!
Old November 30, 2002, 01:02 PM   #8
Oracle

My wife has very small hands as well. She just purchased a Star Model B Super 9mm. It is a 1911-style 9mm that is thinner than the standard 1911.
Old November 30, 2002, 01:57 PM   #9
private_idaho

My gf also has small hands - I think that's part of the reason she likes the P7 (but I have huge hands and like the P7 - go figure.)

Is left-handed shooting the only solution for cross-eye dominance with shotguns and rifles? My gf is also cross-eye dominant, and despite various approaches (left hand shooting, closing one eye, etc) I couldn't seem to get her to hit the broad side of a barn with a 20 gauge....
Old December 1, 2002, 01:37 AM   #10
twoblink

See if you can't find a Kahr K9... Sig feel, but a whole lot smaller...

She's so cool... She'll probably become more tactical then you Skunk!! And that's a good thing right??

Did she try the Sig P239??
Old December 1, 2002, 01:20 PM   #11
DerGlockenpooper

Quote:
Got her BFSC, the Cali handgun purchase permit.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
Old December 1, 2002, 03:58 PM   #12
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Kahr P9 has a very slim and short grip and short trigger reach. Recoil is mild, muzzle flip is noticable but not bad. Steyr M40 has a short trigger reach but beefier grip.
Old December 1, 2002, 09:57 PM   #13
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
She has no interest in revolvers...they just don't do it for her...to each their own!
Hmmm... I always thought that "tactical" meant finding appropriate and expedient solutions to problems, not making sure one's gun matched one's shoes...
Old December 1, 2002, 11:47 PM   #14
HKguy9

Quote:
I always thought that "tactical" meant finding appropriate and expedient solutions to problems
Right now I just want to help her pick out something that she LIKES. If she likes, she'll shoot it more. She can expand her tastes later!
Old December 2, 2002, 01:58 AM   #15
50 shooter

Skunk,
Bring her out to Angeles Shooting Range on the 15th, she can try out a .50 BMG. Then you'll really have your hands full and I'll do my best to have a Desert Eagle .50 AE there also.

www.angelesranges.com
No time for rearranging.
Old December 7, 2002, 12:12 AM   #16
XavierBreath

"Right now I just want to help her pick out something that she LIKES. If she likes, she'll shoot it more. She can expand her tastes later!"

Spoken like the voice of wisdom Skunk. My wife's first handgun, her first pistol, the Walther PPK/S, is now in my collection. (She just doesn't know it yet..) She did NOT want a revolver, and i was smart enough to know that letting her fight to chamber a round in the wrong pistol that she wanted was better than getting her a revolver she didn't want and having her loose intrest. The end goal was to get her interested, going to the range, and shooting. She will be getting a Kahr K9 for Christmas. Check out the Kahrs. They may be just the ticket.
Old December 7, 2002, 02:15 AM   #17
HKguy9

So...

Tactical Girl wanted a Sig 239 but is still wants to try an XD. We rented a Sig 228 because it was the closest thing to the 239, but it was a tad wide and she has short fingers and had problems getting around the girth of the grip and still reaching the long trigger.

Did OK with the 228, but wished she could have tried the 239.

We also rented a Sig 220, and the .45 wasn't as bad as she thought, but the grip was a little long for her. Thinner than the 228, but a little longer. Didn't do too hot with the .45.

Used the last 20 rounds thru a Colt 1911. She liked the look but not the ergonomics...high-thumbs was a little weird for her and was too much to throw at her at this stage. I just wanted her to put a few rounds thru it just to try it out. Didn't do too hot with the .45

Now's the fun part. Grace, my beautiful P7M8 joins us. I just wanted her to try my tactical staple gun. She gets 9 and 10 ring shots, trachea shots, with that thing. I was literally laughing my @$$ off everytime she shot it because it was like magic.

I feel kind of like a jerk because I let her try that and now she wants one, but it's a little much to get for a first gun. She did incredibly well with it and will probably buy a P7 when the time is right, but not right now. Actually I need to have a little talk with my P7, I think my P7 liked her more than it likes me.

I don't think she liked the heavy first shot with the Sigs, and she doesn't like plastic, so she didn't even want to shoot my USP or KZ (fine, that's her personal choice and I respect that). Even if she doesnt like plastic, she still wants to give the XD a try.

Right now, she's the boss and I'm the facilitator.
Old December 7, 2002, 03:18 AM   #18
Seeker

Hey Skunk, what of the BHP (or clone - FEG)?

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old December 7, 2002, 03:29 AM   #19
twoblink

I still say Kahr K9 will get my vote..

But she's awesome, I love that girl! Tell her hi for me!
Old December 7, 2002, 06:51 AM   #20
AndABeer

I'd say 225 as it feels 1000% better than the 239 (to me and anyone else I know anyway) but would guess it is not approved for CA. The Kahrs feel great too though.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old December 7, 2002, 12:29 PM   #21
Kermit

How about a 9mm 1911? Or one of the single stack Beretta 92 compacts? My personal vote is with the P7M8 tho
She'll try the XD but not the USP? Even cocked & locked? I'd bet a mag worth would win over another convert!
Good luck on your quest for that elusive 239
Old December 7, 2002, 12:44 PM   #22
bamf

Well she likes Sig's, my kind of girl. Another vote for the single stack 9mm P225. It is approved by CA!

The heavy trigger can lightened up and smoothed by a good smith to like 8lbs.

Well if she really likes the P7, I'd recommend get one now before all the crap happens next year.
Old December 7, 2002, 01:19 PM   #23
GnL

Ok, I'll ask, since everyone else is pretending they only care about the gun stuff: where are the photos? is she cute?
JPFO
SAS

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken
Old December 8, 2002, 04:01 PM   #24
HKguy9

Quote:
Hey Skunk, what of the BHP (or clone - FEG)?
Thanks I almost forgot the BHP.

Quote:
I still say Kahr K9 will get my vote..
But she's awesome, I love that girl! Tell her hi for me!
Gotta call and see where I can rent those mofos...

Kermit:
Quote:
How about a 9mm 1911? Or one of the single stack Beretta 92 compacts? My personal vote is with the P7M8 tho
She'll try the XD but not the USP? Even cocked & locked? I'd bet a mag worth would win over another convert!
Good luck on your quest for that elusive 239
How about we meet up and we rent the XD and she can shoot your 9mm compact? Maybe she didn't touch the KZ and USP45C because she didn't do too well with the .45s we rented...a little too much gun for right now.

What you say?

Quote:
Ok, I'll ask, since everyone else is pretending they only care about the gun stuff: where are the photos? is she cute?
Old December 8, 2002, 04:08 PM   #25
MLH

Tamara

You only say that because you have more guns than shoes.

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class, save congress." Mark Twain