The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 5, 2006, 02:48 PM   #26
markj

I like both, revolver and auto loaders. Own a couple of each. I dont go around armed so it is moot as to which one Ithink would be deadlier. In my house is a 12 ga with slugs. it will out gun either as it can shoot thru walls

It is one thing to be prepared, entirely another to dwell on horrific scenarios which may never ever happen. My 2 cousins are police officers, niether one worries about this stuff, they have training, are confident in that. Why worry?
Old January 5, 2006, 04:46 PM   #27
Doug.38PR

Quote:
I worry that my 5 shots in my sp101 are not enough to handle 2 or 3 attackers. They definitely aren't enough to handle 6 gangbangers.
If you have 6 gangbangers after you (armed) you are probably going to die anyway whether you have a revolver or an auto. OR if they are not armed the first shot, whoever it kills, will likely send the rest off running.
Old January 5, 2006, 05:32 PM   #28
Para Bellum

inherrent hybris or revolver fans

1. If a revolver has a problem or jam you generally are in much more troble than with a reliable auto.

2. eg a Glock has all advantages of a revolver, better calibers, double the capacity and is slimmer, the G26/27 is even smaller than snubbies.

3. Good autos are at least as reliable as revolvers.

4. 5-6 rounds in a defense situation? Stopping a young strong paranoid-shizophrenic on speed? Good luck!!! ["Normal People" don't attack in a way that deadly force were justified so prepare to use your gun against a freak on speeding and pain-neutralizing drugs.

If you like wheelguns fine. Superior? Yes, for target shooting or distances over 50m. For defense: Nope.
Old January 5, 2006, 07:15 PM   #29
Marko Kloos

Quote:
5-6 rounds in a defense situation? Stopping a young strong paranoid-shizophrenic on speed?
If six .357 Magnum 158-grainers won't do the trick at 1500fps and 700 foot-pounds of energy each, no 17-shot Europellet launcher is going to stop that young strong guy either.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 6, 2006, 03:19 AM   #30
GregM

I agree on popping the sideplate off a revolver and taking a look around. There are a LOT of parts in there. I still like my revolvers and this new 642 will be my constant off-duty companion once it gets looked at by S&W. My experience is anything can fail. I think if you are properly trained, a malfunction with an autoloader is much easier to recover from and keep fighting. I still have no idea why my revolver locked up on me. That being said, shot placement is the key. I just wonder if you WERE jumped by a group of 6 gangbangers and you only had a 5 shot j-frame......what would be going through the second guys mind after seeing his first buddy drop! What about the third guy after seeing the first two guys drop. I bet you wouldn't have to worry about that 6th guy! If he is still hanging around, you must just have a death wish.

GregM
Old January 6, 2006, 09:06 AM   #31
Jkwas

Most of the potential defensive scenarios I envision in my situation involve a lone robber in a parking lot or burglar breaking into my house etc. For this, I don't feel undergunned with a 5-shot. If I lived in a "bad" area, or was traveling thru one, or had to work in one, I would be packing my P89 with 16rnds. I guess you can never have enough firepower. Maybe a j-frame and a hand grenade? If you get assaulted by multiple armed attackers, the ones you're not shooting at, are shooting you, so it really doesn't matter.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:11 PM   #32
Para Bellum

Quote:
If six .357 Magnum 158-grainers won't do the trick at 1500fps and 700 foot-pounds of energy each, no 17-shot Europellet launcher is going to stop that young strong guy either.
I see some fun but no logic in this statement
with 17 shots you are 2.83 times more likely to hit that stopping spot than with 6. You also inflict 2.83 times the blood loss than with 6. In other words, such Europelletlaunchers offer three times the firepower whether you like Europellets or not

But - hey - I realize I am in the wheeeeelgun department here and surrounded by a dozen pythons aiming at me, so: Revolvers are the only true guns and I dream of having one but unfortunately I can only afford Glocks.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:41 PM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

"What if you have 2 or 3 or 7 assailants? I worry that my 5 shots in my sp101 are not enough to handle 2 or 3 attackers. They definitely aren't enough to handle 6 gangbangers."

What if you're attacked by a whole tribe of Hottentots? All the high-capacity wonder autos in the world aren't going to be enough to save your butt...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:45 PM   #34
Mike Irwin
Staff

"How many parts must be hand fitted in order to make this happen?"

About as many parts that have to be handfitted in a semi-auto.

In otherwords... None.

Today's manufacturing standards don't require handfitting.

Old January 6, 2006, 01:30 PM   #35
Handy

Mike,

In the news lately have been a few cases of a man or woman being attacked by a group of people. How does that relate to tribes of Hottentots?

Is is actually any more unlikely to be attacked by a small gang than a lone criminal?
Old January 6, 2006, 01:42 PM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

Zoom...

That was the sarcasm passing overhead....

Old January 6, 2006, 02:10 PM   #37
Pezo

quote from Marko Kloos
Quote:
Old January 6, 2006, 02:14 PM   #38
Pezo

quote from Para Bellum
Quote:
with 17 shots you are 2.83 times more likely to hit that stopping spot than with 6. You also inflict 2.83 times the blood loss than with 6.
true but I see that often times the deciding factor is in the first hit needing to be effective rather than high capacity follow up shot's. I have heard of at least one instance where an LEO officer fired and got only one shot off of his high capacity 9mm handgun before assailant was on top of him beating him. It didnt matter that cop had 17 rounds in this case. What would have mattered is if that one round that hit assailant chest had the neccesary power to incapacitate. edited to mention that said cop changed to a .45, interestingly a gun with more power in each round but LESS capacity.

Last edited by Pezo; January 6, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old January 6, 2006, 02:33 PM   #39
Handy

Mike,

I caught the sarcasm, Mr Friendly. I was asking why you were being sarcastic.

I guess you misunderstood my question. Zoom.
Old January 6, 2006, 02:44 PM   #40
mathman

I completely agree with Marko Kloos' post...revolvers are better for many people...and I can almost guarantee you that once one assailant takes one in the chest, the others aren't going to stick around...
Old January 6, 2006, 02:52 PM   #41
Brasso

I too am of the opinion that the revolver is the king of self defense. For many reasons. I'm not saying an auto is bad, but the wheel gun is the real gun.

ICQ# 214858548
Old January 6, 2006, 03:32 PM   #42
buzz_knox

Quote:
I completely agree with Marko Kloos' post...revolvers are better for many people...and I can almost guarantee you that once one assailant takes one in the chest, the others aren't going to stick around...
Really? You're going to "almost" guarantee that? How many times do people get shot and not even realize it until the fight is over? Think the others might stick around if they didn't realize the first assailant was even hit? Want to guarantee that the other assailants aren't looking at their third strike and need to eliminate a witness?

People play to the low percentages too much. If you're having to use your weapon, you're already SOL. I'd hate to plan for the bad guys doing what I want or expect them to do at that point.
Old January 6, 2006, 03:42 PM   #43
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you have to ask the question, then no, you didn't understand it.

What is a tribe?

It's a GROUP.

Yes, you can be attacked by a GROUP of people.

The problem is, define GROUP.

Oh, hey, I heard so and so was attacked by a group of 8 people. He should have had a Colt .45 instead of that [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] S&W K frame.

Yeah, but I heard that blah blah was attacked by a group of 17 people. He should have had his Glock whatever on him.

It's all part of the "sliding scale canard" designed to denigrate one individual's particular choice of handgun in favor of another (supposedly) superior one.

It concentrates on the hysterical hypothetical while ignoring what people really should focus on:

Familiarity and confidence with one's handgun bred through routine practice.

Situational awareness.

An action and contingency plans.

One could very easily canard situations such as this right up to "why aren't you traveling in an armored convoy with your own trauma team and air support? You could be attacked by terrorists with rocket propelled grenades."

Old January 6, 2006, 03:49 PM   #44
mathman

I think that the idea of being attacked by a large group of people is largely attributed to the fact that people watch waaayyyy too much television these days. Yes, it is possible that you will be attacked by a bunch of well trained people...in which case you (more than likely) will die regardless of your chosen firearm.

And yes, I do play the percentages...we all do everyday, in everything that we do. All I'm saying is that I'll take a (IMO) more reliable gun and play the odds that I will not be attacked by a bunch of people...but that's just me...you might be different .
Old January 6, 2006, 03:58 PM   #45
Handy

Mike,

I wasn't suggesting taking the Nth degree in contigency planning.

I'm wondering aloud what is actually the typical number of assailants (more than one) involved in petty violent crime. It isn't 17, and it is just as likely more than 2. This is not my way of advocating any particular gun (I usually don't have more than 9 rounds on me), but I did think it raises an interesting question.

There probably are stats on the average group size gang members tend to travel in. I would bet three to four, as that is what a car comfortably holds.
Old January 6, 2006, 03:58 PM   #46
Fer

I'm super ninjaman!

All kidding aside, I can see getting surprised by 4+ BG's. If they premeditate and block you off at either end of a block and advance as a group from either end with weapons ready, are you going to wait for the 7 yard distance? Or will you shout one warning and then open fire at the closest reliable rang

Hey guys we are missing the point here. The fact that we carry a weapon does not mean that we are obligated to use it. In a case like the one I quoted It would not be wise to try to defend your self with or without a 15 shot semi auto. I beleive that in case like the one ninjaman just demontrated I would have a better chance to come out alive if I just giveup my car or wallet. Ok if the Bg's begin to shoot at you without been provocation by you, then you just have to try and take as many of them with you.
Old January 6, 2006, 04:07 PM   #47
azredhawk44

Quote:
One could very easily canard situations such as this right up to "why aren't you traveling in an armored convoy with your own trauma team and air support? You could be attacked by terrorists with rocket propelled grenades."
Wolverines!!!

Oh, wait, that's high school students.
Old January 6, 2006, 04:27 PM   #48
Marko Kloos

Listen to Mike Irwin, for he speaks wisdom.

Bear in mind that a lowly five shot snubbie already makes you far better armed than 97% of the general population (and 97% of a bad guy's customers.) If you're runnign around with your head in the clouds, a thirty-shot pistol won't save your bacon because you will look like an easy mark and never see the trouble starting.

If you keep your eyes open and your wits sharp, the aforementioned snubbie ought to serve you well for 99.9% of all potential defensive situations in which you might find yourself.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 6, 2006, 04:52 PM   #49
Para Bellum

European Pellet Launchers Part II

1. Modern European Pellet Launchers have 17 (Glock 17) or 18 (CZ 75) or 19 (Glock 17 with +2 Mag) rounds in the magazine and one in the barrel. That makes 18, 19 or 20 shots out of one standard size pistol in 9x19mm. So that factor caluclated above makes between 3 to 3,5.

2. Handy is right (as usual). It takes no time to fight back three or more guys with one gun. It just takes capacity. Capacity never is a disadvantage. A well trained person can place two A-zone hits on four different targets 7-10 meters away including reaction time, pulling etc in less than 3 seconds. Oooups, but only with at least 8 rounds in a gun. When you're in trouble, trouble has company. Recently close to where I live a kid was attacked by three pitbulls. The poor kid died. Six shots is little on three pitbulls....

3. Just for the sake of correctness: The .45 is not a "more powerful" caliber than the 9x19mm. Both have a standard energy of approx 500 joule. And as a matter of fact, the 9x19 outperforms the .45 in many tests and actual shootings (penetration etc....). And if you don't like the 9x19mm just think of the Glock 20, a standard sized auto with 16 rounds of 10mm (is that enough whooomp?) or the Glock 29, an even compact sized auto with 11 rounds of 10mm...

4. But, since this is the Revolver Forum and we still are surrounded by two dozens 686es and Phythons and Dirty Harry himself, forget all the above said and believe me: The revolver ist the best sidarm of all, and that is a general rule. Period.
Old January 6, 2006, 05:01 PM   #50
LICCW

I like 'em both

I do not think revolvers are superior to semi-autos. I do not think semi-autos are superior to revolvers. Both have their pros and cons. I think it is a topic that will always be hotly debated. Regarding the posts on this thread, here's my two cents:

I believe the probability of being attacked by more than 1 BG is high. I also think the probability of one lone attacker is also pretty good. As to capacity, I'd rather have more shots than fewer, but the possibilities of how and if and where you could be attacked are so myriad, you have to choose a weapon you are comfortable with and practice practice practice to give you the most fighting chance. There is no way you can account for all possibilities and thus no one gun will be the ultimate answer. Being as prepared as you can and as confidant in your weapon and your training is all you can hope for. You know what they say about the best laid plans. Even the most well trained elite special forces operators can and have been killed because a situation develops that no one could have forseen. It is the same in civilian self defense. You could opt for a 5 shot snubbie, and get attacked by 7 gang bangers. You could also be accosted by two assailants and only fire 2 shots out of your G19. Who knows what you will face? Will your choices be the right ones? Too bad you'll only know if TSHTF. I think you just want to be the least attractive target you can be. When I was a competitive powerlifter, I had a team mte who competed in the 242 pound class. He was only about 5'8" tall. He was huge. He used to say it was a deterrent. It didn't matter if he knew how to fight or cried when someone punched him. People took one look at him and didn't want to mess with him. Deterrent. There's some truth to it. The less you look like an easy target the better off you are, coupled with avoiding places that are dangerous as best you can, being aware of your surroundings, carrying a pistol or revolver you re reasonably skilled and comfortable with, and maintaining a dialogue with people of like mind as they are a good source of info is about all you can do. I think the best type of weapon is the one that saves your life when you need it. Whether its a Desert Eagle or a NAA .22, as long as it has the desired effect when you are counting on it, its the best gun ever made.