The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 9, 2024, 06:17 PM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
The OP stated "home defense" and to me, that means inside my house, or close outside it. SO, carry gun features and concealability are not relevant.
Then my Ruger 9mm PCC with 32 round Glock mags comes to the forefront
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 10, 2024, 09:29 PM   #27
PatientWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
But 1911s only have a magazine capacity of 7 or 10?
You asked a question and got an answer. Why are you arguing? I’m guessing you are arguing with someone who has far more experience with firearms.
Old April 11, 2024, 08:10 AM   #28
PzGren

To all the top shots here that fantasize about how they can end a gun fight with a couple of well aimed shots, I want to relate a little real life story.

My son has a friend from the police academy who was an army ranger close combat instructor and is a very competent pistol shot, both in accuracy and speed. We went shooting together a few times.

He and his partner happened to get into a gun fight, both were armed with Glocks with Hornady Critical Duty ammo. My son's friend shot the perp in the torso at about 12 yards eight times out of nine rounds that he fired in less than two seconds, his partner fired eight times at 9 yards, hitting eight times, also in about two seconds. It took those rounds for the perp to drop his gun and go down.

From my own experience I can only say that not two gun fights will be the same and I prefer to err on the safe side, that's why I have a fire extinguisher, road flares, and tools in my truck.

Last edited by PzGren; April 11, 2024 at 08:19 AM.