The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2002, 05:51 PM   #1
anand

Bottlenecked cartridges in Revolvers?

Hello all,
I am thinking of getting into reloading and have a few questions:

1.Is it possible to use bottlenecked cartridges in revolvers?

I am thinking of using rimmed, cut down, necked own, rifle cases in a custom revolver. I know of the 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, 44-40 etc. but these dont have much of a shoulder. My cartridge would look like a 8mm lebel except the shoulder would be closer to the case head and with a shorter bullet.

My gunsmith said bottleneck cartridges tend to flow forward at the moment of firing and prevent the cylinder from turning.

2.Would this be true even if the cases could be made to head space on the case mouth (like if it was not crimped)as well as on the shoulder?

Thanks,
Anand
Old June 14, 2002, 05:57 PM   #2
Steve Smith

Actually, I believe that the cases back out a hair because the breechface isn't completely against the case head. That will cause the brass to flow a lot, but the real problem is that when it backs up, it binds up the cylinder.

Guys, did I get this right? Its been a while.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old June 14, 2002, 06:19 PM   #3
mdlowry

Gary Reeder (of Reeder Custom Guns) does do some bottlenecks of his own design. They include .356 GNR(.41 case necked to .357), .41 GNR #1 (.44 case necked to .41), and .41 GNR #2 (.445 supermag case necked to .41).
Old June 14, 2002, 06:44 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Tapered body bottlenecks tend to back up against the recoil plate and bind the action.

Straight case bottlenecks seem to do ok.

Ex.....224 Harvey Kay-Chuk works great in revolvers...straight case. 22 Jet causes problems....ballisticaly nearly identical cept the Jet has quite a bit of taper.

Sam
Old June 15, 2002, 12:09 AM   #5
Jeeper

mdlowry,

I have a 41 GNR#1 in a smith revolver Gary did for me about 6 years ago. It is a hell of a cartridge. Gets great speed out of a short gun. He makes great stuff. I have a bunch of his contender barrels also.
Old June 15, 2002, 12:25 AM   #6
mdlowry

Jeeper,

What kind of velocity do you get the the .41 GNR? I've got 1500+ fps out of my .41 Redhawk. Wondering how much faster the GNR would be.
Old June 16, 2002, 12:00 AM   #7
Jeeper

It was so long ago that I chrono'd it that I cant really remember. I think I remember gary saying that out of a 6" barrell it go the velocities that you would normally get from a normal 41 out of a 12 inch barrell. i'll see if I can find it in one of my old chrono logs.
Old June 17, 2002, 01:05 PM   #8
renaissance7697

It's been done

I refer you to the:

M1895 Nagant Revolver in the original 7.62 Nagant.

also I believe

32-20