The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 26, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
dosjoel

Good shooting pistol to match my Marlin .44 mag

Hi,

Wondering if anyone might give some advice on matching my Marlin 1894 .44 mag with a good 44 revolver.

I have heard the older style "cowboy" pistol grips don't handle as well shooting a 44 mag (like a Ruger Blackhawk) and to get something with a more "modern" type of grip such as a Ruger Redhawk or Smith 329 or 629. Your thoughts?

I am new to big bore revolvers but familiar with auto loaders.

I purchased the Marlin to deer hunt in IND (pistol caliber only) and would like to take along a good pistol in matching caliber. I appreciate any advice you can provide for this revolver newbie!

Thanks. Here is the Marlin with Ghost Ring sights. She's a sweet shooter!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 1894 webfix.jpg (25.3 KB, 981 views)
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." - Anonymous Soldier.
Old July 26, 2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Get a used Ruger Bisley in .44 magnum. That gripframe is great for soaking up recoil.

FWIW, the stock Super Blackhawk is very easy to shoot once you let the gun "roll"- don't try to stop or control it. Just try to catch the hammer spur as the gun comes down for a quick followup shot.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
batmann

A Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter sounds right up your alley. FYI--Unless IND has changed their hunting laws, you can't carry a sidearm AND a rifle/shotgun at the same time, if that is what you were planning on doing. I would advise consulting the Indiana DNR BEFORE carring both.

PS--Great looking Marlin.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4
shortwave

Quote:
the stock Super Blackhawk is very easy to shoot once you let the gun "role"-don`t try to stop or control it...
Agree. After this technique is learned, the Super Blackhawk is hard to beat as primary or back-up hunting weapon.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Slopemeno

...not to mention you'll sometimes see smokin' deals on SBH's. People get discouraged in their early attempts to shoot them, and dump them cheap. And if you reload the .44mag in an SBH can be reloaded quite hot.

Note to self: I need a .44 mag SBH.
Old July 27, 2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Pathfinder45

Vaquero!

Super Blackhawks are nice. Being a .45 Colt guy, I've never owned a .44. But I yoosta have a Blackhawk and I wish I still had that 1902 vintage SAA.....however my current Vaquero is the best of both worlds. I still see them at the Portland gun shows in .44 magnum everytime I go. I like the smoothness of the fixed sights much better than the adjustable ones on the Blackhawk. If you change bullet weights a lot you'll probably prefer adjustable sights. I shoot my Vaquero a lot more than my Marlin Cowboy.......
Old July 27, 2009, 04:49 AM   #7
gopack

I don't think they make Vaqueros in .44. Uberti has a Cattleman in .44/40.
Old July 27, 2009, 05:43 AM   #8
mega twin

The vaquero was made in 44 mag,and there are a lot of them still out there.
The new vaquero is the one you're thinking of.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Pathfinder45

They are not hard to find.

They don't make the Vaquero anymore. But there are plenty of them out there in great condition at reasonable prices and yes, in .44 magnum. The original Vaquero is favored over the New Vaquero by some folks because it is stronger. Thus it can be had in .44 magnum. The New Vaquero is a trimmer and admittedly nicer gun. But in .45 Colt it can't take the higher pressure loads that the original Vaquero can. So it likewise is unsuitable for .44 magnum. However, the original Vaquero is a nice gun. It would make a worthy companion piece to the Marlin. In my case the Marlin is the companion to the Vaquero. My Marlin doesn't always get to go. The Vaquero ALWAYS goes.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:52 AM   #10
john in jax

dosjoel I choose a 5" S&W 629 Classic to pair up with my 1894 in .44mag and I am VERY pleased with it. I do not find the grip size/shape of the traditional single actions comfortable shooting .44mag.
Old July 27, 2009, 11:10 AM   #11
hardluk1

Keep a eye open for a Dan Wesson 44 mag made in moson. The gun might have a blue barrel and plum frame or ss but don't worry about finish . If gun is in good shape it will shoot better than most any 44 made. And you can find different barrels for them. One for sale on THR furom
Old July 27, 2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Lunker

You will love the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. Mine is a blast to shoot. It comfortably handles loads that make me wince when shooting them in a S&W 629. I have the same Marlin as you do. I really enjoy shooting it. I have the aftermarket peep sights too. I was amazed at how accurately i can shoot with them. Somehow it didn't feel right to put a scope on a levergun. Another fun 44mag gun to shoot is the Ruger 77/44. It is a bolt action rifle with a four round rotary magazine (similar to the 10/22). That one I did throw a cheap scope on. If you're a handloader, you can shoot all day long with these guns and not go broke.
Old July 27, 2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Doodlebugger45

Well, the "traditional" single action grips definitely feel different than the "modern" grips like I have on my 629. But that doesn't mean they are more or less accurate. Like anything, it takes some shooting to get used to the difference. My 2 most accurate revolvers by far are a BFR .480 with the "old fashioned" SAA type handle and the 629 in 44 mag.

Don't try to tell someone with a Freedom Arms revolver that his gun isn't accurate. Likewise, you would be hard pressed to find a Dan Wesson that isn't super accurate.

If you are looking for accuracy, pay more attention to the modern adjustable sights. They are just plain better than the "traditional" rear sights that consist of a groove cut into the top of the frame.

I myself am seriously considering a Virginian Dragoon in 44 mag. Comparable to a Blackhawk, but just a bit different though.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:25 PM   #14
rodfac

I'd suggest either of the Rugers below. The longer barreled one is a 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum with a 6.5" bbl. The shorter is a Lipsey's Ruger .44 Spl with a 4 5/8" bbl. The over size grips were made here at home. Both guns have adjustable sights however, if that's a consideration for cowboy action shooting. Both shoot cast bullet loads that are usable in my Marlin 336 .44 Magnum. But when going for commonality, I size the bullets to .432" in deference to the Marlin's over size bore. I can't say if the 1894 has an equally large bore, but it's common among Marlins. With jacketed bullets, the standard .430 or even .429" seems to work just fine. Groups with the .432" cast bullets run a little over an inch at 50 yds with a receiver peep sight or 1.5" with the open sight. The Rugers both will shoot the same load into less than an inch and a half at 25 yds, sitting with a back rest position, the gun extended between my knees.

As to "felt" recoil...I much prefer a single action revolver to the grips on a typical S&W or Ruger DA. The single action, rolls up in your hand, while the DA guns just come right on back, mashing your knuckle. Elmer Keith has some words on the subject, very similar to my observation, and he was no chicken when it came to hard recoiling hand guns. Even with full house loads, I'd still much prefer the Rugers over my S&W's in .44 Magnum and .41 Magnum.

With Magnum brass, 7.5 gr of Win 231 is about right..+- a cpl of tenths...the same with Unique and Lyman's 429215 gc bullet. In the .44 special, it's a grain less, 6.5 gr of Win 231 or 7.0 - 7.5 gr of Unique.

.44 Magnum, Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat Top
.44 Special, Ruger, Lipsey's Flat Top
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; July 27, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:30 PM   #15
dosjoel

Can't thank y'all enough for your replies...

Thanks to each of you who took the time to reply on this subject. Some very interesting stuff to consider about 44 magnum revolvers.

It is interesting that the guy who told me the traditional grips were awful when shooting the .44 mag. may simply not have known how to shoot that gun! I think the "try before you buy" method is going to be my best bet. But now I ave some excellent choices and know more about shooting methods.

Thanks also for the tip on about Indy law!
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." - Anonymous Soldier.
Old July 27, 2009, 05:13 PM   #16
danbrew

Interested in a S&W 329PD? I'm kicking around selling this one - as new condition. A great .44 and very light weight - looking for something different and am thinking this is the one to go.

[email protected]
Old July 28, 2009, 07:41 AM   #17
GeauxTide

+1 on the SBH

After market grips fill the trigger guard void and spread recoil out evenly. I own a 7.5" SBH SS, but it's long and bulky on the hip. After using my 5.5" Bisley 45, I'm going to get a 5.5" SBH.

Get a Belt Mountain Base Pin and a professional trigger job, and you'll still be well under the price of an N frame Smith.