The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 27, 2009, 07:10 PM   #26
VeeDub

I own a 605, blue. I shoot .38 and +P's but not .357's. Maybe 800 rounds through it so far. No problems. Also own a PT92 in .40. Same thing; good gun. I don't remember the PT92 ever having a FTF or FTE ever. I also own two S&W's (a 586 and a 642) and they have been trouble free.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:18 PM   #27
bigghoss

I got a 605 a couple years ago. decent trigger, accurate, no binding, no tight chambers and it was only $350 for the stainless version. it also didn't have very good fit on the crane(should have seen that before buying it) I tried the lock once and it didn't unlock all the way and I had to put the key back in a jiggle it. I then threw the key in the box and never messed with the lock again. the biggest issue was one day the cylinder catch got stuck in the cylinder which ended my range session. rather than pay shipping and deal with the customer service I've heard so many horror stories about I got online and found out how to take it apart. The pin that latches the cylinder in the frame was stuck so bad I had to drive it out with a punch. I took a tapered knife sharpening rod and gave a few swirls in the hole and reassembled. worked fine for a while but earlier this year it happened again so I repeated the process. I haven't put many rounds through it since but it has shaken my confidence in the piece.

I haven't ruled out taurus completely, the autos seem to be better than the revolvers, but I'll look elsewhere first.
Old July 28, 2009, 03:31 AM   #28
ghalleen

Raging Bull

My Raging Bull .454 Casull is a fantastic firearm.

It shoots dead-on, everytime, and is a joy to shoot. I had a trigger job done on it, and now has a trigger on par with a Python.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Taurus. They are just as good as any other brand out there, and better than several of them.

The PT92, I believe, is a better pistol than the Beretta 92. The Raging Bull is one of the finest revolvers ever manufactured.

The 605 and 617 revolvers I shoot have been fired often, and are as good now as when they were new. I own Ruger and S&W as well, but prefer to carry one of these pieces.

The only one I would hesitate on would be the 85. It just seems that the majority of issues I read about involves this revolver.

BTW, has anyone read through the warnings on the Garrett Ammunition .44 Magnum +P ammo?

"THIS 44 MAGNUM AMMO IS RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN RUGER AND DAN WESSON DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS, AS WELL AS THE TAURUS RAGING BULL. IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED FOR THE GARY REEDER 5-SHOT ULTIMATE 44 MAGNUM, AND THE JOHN GALLAGHER CUSTOM LONG-CYLINDER RUGER SINGLE-ACTIONS. THIS AMMO SHOULD BE FIRED ONLY IN THOSE RECOMMENDED REVOLVERS! THIS AMMO IS BOTH TOO LONG AND GENERATES TOO MUCH CHAMBER PRESSURE FOR SAFE USE IN S&W AND RUGER SUPER BLACKHAWK REVOLVERS. IT IS ALSO TOO LONG FOR USE IN THE FREEDOM ARMS REVOLVER."

Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk, Dan Wesson, and Taurus Raging Bull... Three of the strongest revolvers available.