The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 7, 2024, 10:56 AM   #1
Cooked Off

ASM 1847 Walker

What do these marks mean?

Is there any way to find out what year it was manufactured?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240405_163752.jpg (1,010.6 KB, 62 views)
Old April 7, 2024, 01:15 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

welcome to TFL

The markings are called "proof marks" and are stamped on the gun to show it has passed certain proof tests (like not blowing up when fired, etc) required by various nations (European, primarily) before the gun can be sold or exported.

I don't know of any way to date the manufacture, sorry.

ASM usually refers to Armi San Marco, an Italian firm that made replica firearms from the 1960s through the 1990s and went out of business about 2004.

My personal experience with their guns is that they are well finished, (some very well finished) on the outside, but mechanically they are a crapshoot, and the one I had was crap. I do not recommend them for anything but static display (they can be very pretty) but if you want a shooter, you are better off with a gun from someone else.
Old April 7, 2024, 05:19 PM   #3
44caliberkid

There should be two letters, usually on the right side of the frame, above the trigger guard. That is the year of production letter code. Tell us the letters and me or someone else on here can tell you the year. The ASM Walkers were pretty decent guns.
Old April 8, 2024, 01:29 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The ASM "Schoefield" I had, wasn't. Beautiful to look at, misfired and "shot off the face" when used. They made a beautiful looking gun. They could have made a good working gun. They didn't.
Old April 8, 2024, 09:48 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

The "BD" in the box is the date code for 1994, the year the gun was made.
Old April 8, 2024, 10:26 AM   #6
bedbugbilly

Look for Roman Numerals or two letters within a "box" - i.e. rectangle. Then Google "Cap and Ball Revolver Date Codes". Roaan Numerals were used (up to 4 "digits" or letters) and then "Capital Letters" were used to designate the year of manufacturer.

ASM - Armi San Marco - was an Italian maker. Over the past 60 years I have owned several ASM revolvers that I got through trades or purchased outright because the price was right. Personal Opinion - some were better than others as far as fit and finish. BUT . . . I have also owned many (and still do) Uberti and Pietta that the same could be said for. The ASM revolvers had a reputation for "soft" internal parts, but that didn't necessarily mean they work out quickly, or would ever wear out as such a thing depends on a lot of different things.

IIRC, ASM produced cap and ball revolvers for CVA - they were stamped with CVA's logo. I picked up one at a gun show probably 16 or so yers ago - new in the box. It was made for CVA. It was a beautiful 1861 Colt Navy clone. I bought it because of the price and put it up on the shelf as a "spare" to shoot once in a while (I have a fetish for 1851 Colt Navies). It sat on the shelf for a couple of years and I ended up seeking it to a fellow who wanted it in the worst way. As far as I know, he has put thousands of rounds through it and it is still going strong. I also ran across a ASM 1861 Richards & Mason conversion - 38 seal- that was made as a conversion model with a .357 bore one time. At the time, I was dealing on a 1910 Colt Army Special and a S & W M & P early 6" 39 spl. Target Revolver. I bought those and passed on the ASM R & M '61 Navy conversion. I have kicked myself many times for not getting the ASM Conversion as it was a beautiful handgun. All of the ASMs I have had have had nice clean and crisp actions. Others may have had other experiences - like any manufacturer - it depends on the individual handgun.

Enjoy that Walker - a nice historical model and fun to shoot!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 8, 2024, 03:19 PM   #7
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
Thanks. That’s a really bad strike on that BD, I wasn’t sure what it was.
Old April 10, 2024, 12:40 PM   #8
Cooked Off

Quote:
Cool, then from what I understand this Walker is one of the last years they made them.

I just got the mold for the balls so I'll cast some this weekend and see how it shoots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1847 Walker Rt side.jpg (556.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Walker Lt side.jpg (759.2 KB, 12 views)