The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 20, 2024, 10:21 AM   #1
AL45

Dry firing finally worked for me

2 years ago I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .454 Casull. I have battled the dreaded flinch/shot anticipation since day one. Most shots low and left. I have tried dry firing all along with no luck. This past week I tried harder. I concentrated on two things while dry firing in my house. I focused on the front sight and the feeling of my finger slowly squeezing the trigger until it was on the brink of releasing the hammer and then I paused holding that position. Then I finished the squeeze. I went to the range yesterday and applied this same technique. 10 rounds from 15 yards and 10 rounds from 20 yards. 240 grain and 300 grain Hornady XTP's. 18 shots were center of mass with one slightly low and one slightly right. Still lots of room for improvement, but I'm finally a believer in dry firing.

Last edited by Unclenick; Today at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typo fix
Old April 20, 2024, 12:11 PM   #2
tangolima

Staging DA pull is debatable. Some people like it and some don't. It could shoot better as it is mimicking SA break. Nothing wrong if it helps you. I don't do it myself.

For me practicing focusing on front sight helps me overcome flinching. A better grip also helps a lot.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; April 20, 2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old April 20, 2024, 01:42 PM   #3
AL45

The single action trigger on my Blackhawk has a little creep to it. Basically I'm taking up the creep, pausing and then finishing the shot. It's all in my head.
Old April 20, 2024, 02:44 PM   #4
tangolima

Ah you are right. It is SA. If you abort the shot, after taking out the creep, does the trigger fully reset itself? I don't do creepy trigger well. I'd have done a trigger job to "decreep" it. But nothing wrong if it helps you.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 20, 2024, 04:24 PM   #5
jmr40

I'm a believer in dry fire practice. Good to see it is working for you.

Winston Churchill
Old April 20, 2024, 04:29 PM   #6
1972RedNeck

Coin on the front sight is a tip I picked up on here. Made all the difference for me.
Old April 20, 2024, 07:35 PM   #7
AL45

Tangolima, there isn't a lot of creep, just enough to notice and yes the trigger resets if I let off.
Old April 20, 2024, 09:02 PM   #8
5whiskey

I too also find that focusing on sight alignment and a clear front sight post helps me concentrate on a slow "let the shot surprise you" trigger pull. Of course you can make a lot of money dry firing with this type of shooting. And it's probably the majority of what you would do with a SA revolver.

The "FSP somewhere center of target" close in fast combat shooting, that's actually harder to dry fire for. There was a system with a laser and an app somewhere (it's still around I'm sure) that I actually see may have value in practicing speed from the draw as it records times and shot placement.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 23, 2024, 10:37 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I still dry fire (and use snap caps).

I did ball 'n dummy at the range with a revolver and as someone mentioned, at home with (snap caps) and a coin on the barrel. Did it with a DA/SA revolver to learn how to shoot DA revolvers (we had to for the academy).

I taught that along with the sharpened pencil with a rubber eraser. Let the student practice him/herself.
Old April 23, 2024, 11:29 AM   #10
Jack Ryan

Old April 25, 2024, 02:10 AM   #11
HiBC

Folks find different tools that work.
I can tell you what helped me. It might work for you . You can practice this dry fire till it becomes second nature but its productive live fire.
Discipline your trigger squeeze less about "perfect sight picture" and more about "pretty good sight picture" but the critical element is to call your shot .

You want a mental image of the sight picture the instant the gun fires.

The discipline is in the focus and concentration to do that.

I find that task distracts me from recoil anticipation.

If I detect a cringe coming on, I pause and regroup myself .

I want to be able to put my finger on a target on the bench where I figure the hole should be.

If you have a spotting scope or binocular, confirm the call.

You can only call your shot if your eyes are seeing the sights and the target.

If you start hearing footsteps....its OK. Don't add pressure to the trigger,

Relax, breathe, Start over. Its not a success to fire a flier.

Commit to only shooting good ones.

Maybe with a 454 you can only do 1 or 2 or 3 wheels. Its OK. Try to quit on a winner.

Its OK to warm up with 45 Colt level loads. " OK,now I'm ready for the big ones"

If you fire 3 good rounds and start going squinty .....If you can regain control, thats fine but only shoot good ones. Quit on a good shot . Even if its #3 . You can go back to 45 Colt loads.

Long ago I took delivery on a Freedom Arms 454 for a brother transferring from Ft Dix to Ft Wainright. I shot it some.

I was quite used to sessions of 100 or more rounds of full power 44 Magnums. I enjoyed the push and roar.

But after 15 or 20 rounds of heavy 454 loads I would "hear footsteps" and all I would accomplish by shooting more is develop a flinch

Everybody has limitations. At least for a while
Old April 25, 2024, 09:40 AM   #12
Ricklin

Do be aware

Glock triggers can become quite worn with extensive dry fire practice. Be aware, riding the reset can result in a double tap when a double tap was not desired. You might like it more once it is very worn.
Old May 7, 2024, 01:39 PM   #13
FireForged

People can do what they want but I just think there are better ways than sitting around pulling a trigger on an empty gun. As far as "staging" a double action revolver trigger, I have never considered it practical in SD application, so I do not train that way.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:51 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

For whatever it's worth, since they were brought up, Gunsite does advocate dryfiring as a practice method.

https://www.gunsite.com/videos/dryfi...e-and-mindset/