The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1
kingudaroad

Would you buy a new Winchester?

With their impending closure, what would be the pros and cons of a nib purchase?
Old February 17, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2
7mm-08

they are shutting thier whole plant down,like no more winchester?incredible
i do like winchester but find them rather pricey i could probably get a new savage or stevens for the price they would clear them out for.
Old February 17, 2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Scorch

Winchester has announced they are shutting down the old New Haven plant. They are not going out of business, and will continue to make their full product line.
Old February 17, 2006, 02:14 PM   #4
BigFunWMU

I bought 2 last week, they had been on my list of "somedays" for a while, and someday just came up.

I wanted to make sure I got ones that were still made in the CT factory.
Old February 17, 2006, 02:18 PM   #5
azredhawk44

I bought 3 new 94's the day the news came out. No remorse, just sadness.
Old February 17, 2006, 03:06 PM   #6
damage inc

Quote:
Winchester has announced they are shutting down the old New Haven plant. They are not going out of business, and will continue to make their full product line.
I thought that they were discontinuing the Model 70, 94, and 1300. Will these still be made at where ever Winchesters will be made now? Will the quality be the same?
Old February 17, 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
azredhawk44

Probably either Belgium or Japan, but they could potentially go anywhere.
Old February 17, 2006, 04:37 PM   #8
TPAW

I think by law, any company who is closing down must carry parts for their products for 10 years. After that, it's catch come, catch can!
Old February 17, 2006, 08:44 PM   #9
BAD_KARMA

The new model 70's I have seen make cheap chinese junk seem like 1st class products. To name a few specifics I have seen on the last 70's I have looked at.

- bolt that moved back and forth when it was closed
- rusty screws
- safetys you needed a nylon hammer to move.

If I had to guess the really good assemblers and QC people have moved to greener pastures already.
Old February 17, 2006, 08:53 PM   #10
M3 Pilot

I bought a 9410 a couple of weeks ago,putting it away for my 4 year old grandson.
Old February 17, 2006, 08:55 PM   #11
M3 Pilot

Yep ,I know this is the rifle forum & it isn't a rifle,but it is a Winchester.
Old February 17, 2006, 09:08 PM   #12
TPAW

Quote:
Would you buy a new Winchester?
No, I think the quality has slid down hill. I looked at a few and saw too many blemishes on them. Thin bluing, damaged screw heads, stock not fitted properly etc. I really got turned off. Seems like the quality control people already left the factory! If I had to pay more, I'd shop for a pre- 64 if I wanted one.
Old February 17, 2006, 09:14 PM   #13
joab

Quote:
Will these still be made at where ever Winchesters will be made now? Will the quality be the same?
Probably going to be made at the same place the Rossis are being made now with som expansions on the line
Old February 19, 2006, 10:43 AM   #14
donkee

Got a 1300 youth model on sale (219.00 otd) at Gander Mountain for my son. I really liked my old 1200.
Old February 19, 2006, 12:24 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

Direct from four different people at Winchester's company headquarters:
The Model 94, 70, and 1300 shotgun are dropped with the closing of the New Haven plant. There are no plans that anybody will admit to for moving those models elsewhere.
Winchester's service department says they will maintain parts for ten years on those models.
Two reps say if the plant is sold, it will be an empty building, which means it'll sell without the equipment, if true. When asked where the equipment will go, or if it'll be used elsewhere to make the guns, they said they had not heard anything about it. That sorta supports the speculation that the New Haven plant closing is a union busting operation, with production possibly being moved elsewhere. Again, I doubt you'll see Chinese Winchesters.
Whatever, in the interim Winchester will not be producing their full line-up, they'll be marketing the Winchester-branded guns sourced outside the US, like the Belgian and Japanese models.
And, quality has been spotty recently.
Denis
Old February 19, 2006, 12:29 PM   #16
PSE

i bought a supergrade the day the news came out...
then sold it a week later for double what i paid.
Old February 19, 2006, 12:58 PM   #17
kastivich

If you want a 1300 buy the FN Police Shotgun. It is exactly the same and there are no plans for it to be discontinued. CDNN has a good price on them. I picked one up a few weeks ago, fit & finish are good.
Old February 19, 2006, 02:46 PM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

FN-marked versions of the Winchester 1300 will be affected, too. When existing stocks dry up, no more, at least as it stands now. Where do you think they came from?
Denis
Old February 19, 2006, 03:01 PM   #19
Jack O'Conner

The 1300 in 20 gauge is a sweet handling upland shotgun. One of the best I've EVER handled. Why anyone would go for a 12 gauge for rabbits, pheasants, squirrels, partridge is beyond my comprehension.

At the 16 yard trap line this 20 does quite well with Improved Modified choking. I hope the 1300 continues for another generation or longer!
Jack
Old February 20, 2006, 05:58 PM   #20
brianidaho

Rumor has it that production of these Winchester models will be at a new plant built in Post Falls, Idaho, very near the existing Buck Knives site.

Of course it's just a rumor I'm trying to start .

USRAC, who manufacturers Winchester and Browing firearms is in turn owned by FN Herstral (sp?). However, they are "leasing" the Winchester name from Olin (manufacturers of WW ammo), and the lease or license, not sure the legal term, expires next year.

Bri
Old February 20, 2006, 06:16 PM   #21
maximuss

I have heard 2 stories:
1. Winchester is closing,
2. Browning bought Winchester.

Sportsman Warehouse guys were saying about half of their productions will be discountinued includes Model 70 however SX2s will be continued to be produced.

Well, my concern is how does this effects on Winchester Ammos?
Old February 20, 2006, 06:35 PM   #22
BAD_KARMA

Effect to Winchester ammo = zero

Olin owns the Winchester name and makes the ammo. They licencse the Winchester name and trademark to US Repeating Arms Co. Which is owned by the same company that owns Browning and FN. This makes Browniing and Winchester sister companies. The rights to the Winchester name expire next year I belive so there may be no Winchester guns period after that.

Also the factory is closing for the record. What is happening behind the scenes is anybodies guess.

BK theroy one is that FN has already extracted the good talent and tooling from the plant and you will see FN winchesters coming from plant in SC. Of course this is just my speculation.

BK theroy 2 is they will now go to Miruku and use them to make special runs of products as demand dictates. All they need to do is translate the CNC files to metric. Hopefully they can do this better than NASA, ala Mars rover 1 and 2.
Old February 20, 2006, 08:05 PM   #23
B9mmHP

Winchester

Last I was told by a gun smith, is they are moving the factory to Tenn.
Old February 20, 2006, 08:50 PM   #24
Ruger4570

The rumor mill is certainly cranking them out lately... I am waiting to hear Remington bought Winchester..I guess I will believe what actually happens rather than rumors based on nothing but someone guessing as to what is going to happen. Ithaca is back,, so Winchester could be too.
Old February 20, 2006, 09:19 PM   #25
joshua

Winchester was bought by some financially well off TFL members. They will continue to produce the Model 70 but only in 3 models: The Super Grade in classic and safari type of cartidges. Hunter in popular classic and WSM calibers and the Featherweight in short action models only including the WSM. All rifles will have the CRF action and the first thing the new company is doing is dropping any push feed and CRPF abomination. All rifles will be made in Idaho by some master class riflesmiths that will true and hone the action, install a match grade barrel and come with 2.9 lb crisp triggers. All rifles are guaranteed to shoot .5 moa at 100 yards. josh