The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 14, 2001, 12:35 AM   #1
MilesTeg

Does anyone know if you can still get stripped preban lower receivers for the AR-15 (where and how much)? Also, when shopping around the local gun shops and shows - which preban lowers should I stay away from or try to find (Colt's, Oly's, etc.).
Old February 14, 2001, 12:51 AM   #2
Charmedlyfe

You're better off either purchasing a rifle you can CONFIRM is preban (by SN), or go with a post-pan. You can also get some brakes that look almost exactly like the A2 brake. If you don't NEED a collapsible stock, postban ain't bad....

By law, even if a lower was produced before the ban, if it wasn't assembled into a rifle before the ban it is a post-ban. It's the date it was assembled, not the date the lower was produced.
Old February 14, 2001, 12:57 AM   #3
RikWriter

Yes, that's the law...but in PRACTICE, it would be so incredibly difficult for the govt to prove the gun was not assembled into an assault weapon prior to the ban (and the burden of proof IS on them) that it is hardly worth worrying about.
If you want a preban lower, cruise the Non-NFA ad board at http://www.subguns.com and the semiauto or parts and accessories ad board at http://www.sturmgewehr.com but if you want to find a good deal you have to check often and have the money on hand.
Old February 14, 2001, 08:38 AM   #4
AR-10

My understanding is that the manufacturers keep records on every receiver shipped as far as who it is shipped to and whether it is a complete rifle,assembled lower,or stripped lower. Am I mistaken about this?

People who buy preban lowers or stripped receivers often try to get a signed statement saying that the part in question was sold as a complete rifle before the ban. Even if you are replacing a damaged lower on a legal preban with such a part,you are in essence building a new rifle. Putting your parts on a lower that has not already existed as a complete preban is illegal.

The chances of being prosecuted may be small,but you are talking about committing a felony (I think) if you buy and use such a part that is not what it seems to be. You don't have to be prosecuted to lose the weapon. A lot of people think this attitude displays government-induced paranoia, and they are correct. buying insurance is based on paranoid expectations as well. I have lots of insurance.

I bought a Colt SP-1 last summer for $750.00.There are good deals available if you look hard and have patience.
Old February 14, 2001, 07:47 PM   #5
Charmedlyfe

Guys, it's been beat to death (and then some!). The burden of proof is actually NOT on the government, but on the individual.

All 'assault weapons' are illegal. There are exemptions, BUT YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE EXEMPT. It sucks bad, but we're stuck with it for now.....
Old February 14, 2001, 08:34 PM   #6
RikWriter

George, in my copy of the 94 Crime Bill, it says the burden of proof is on the government.
Old February 15, 2001, 12:57 AM   #7
Charmedlyfe

Unfortunately, my info came from ATF only a few months ago.
Old February 15, 2001, 08:46 AM   #8
RikWriter

Uh, and you REALLY think they know what the law is?
Shortly after the 94 ban was passed, I had an ATF agent try to tell me it applied to pump shotguns.