The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2002, 04:16 AM   #1
Will Batayte

Crazy ammo???

Take a look at this:http://www.miragetechnologies.net/MT...ose%20Ammo.htm
Has anyone actualy tryed any of these rounds? Are they safe? Also if you did try them where? I don't think my gun club would be too happy if I started shooting bird bombs down at the range. Also does anyone know a site that tells the balistics on these loads. I would be curios to see the effects of some of these things on some balistic gelitin.
Old July 29, 2002, 04:42 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Will, at $2 each, nobody's going to T&E these extensively.

Standard ammo is quite effective, costs enough less that regular practice is not automatically a Chapter whatever inducing waste, and is easier to defend in court.

HTH....
Old July 29, 2002, 06:33 AM   #3
PJR

Crazy is right. You'd have to be crazy to use of any of this stuff. You'd have to be crazy to pay those prices.

I've told the story previously about the local shooter who tried a 12 gauge flare in his full choke gun. The flare got caught in the end of his barrel and turned it cherry red. His once nice full choked Model 12 trap gun is now a not as nice cylinder choked skeet gun. Based on this I sure as heck wouldn't fire anything that was meant to EXPLODE from one of my guns.

I also wouldn't fire anything like tacks, flechettes, chains, nails, etc. because the I wouldn't know how they would behave once out of the gun and would be concerned about barrel damage. I also wouldn't take their word for non-fatal and wonder about pressures of some of these loads based on their descriptions.

Stick with factory ammo from reliable sources. It will get the job done at reasonable prices.
Old July 29, 2002, 07:14 PM   #4
Lethal Farce

Another thing to consider, besides the obvious. Is what an attorney could do to you for using "intentionally deadly ammo" I bet they would crucify you. I heard of a court case involving a handloaded who shot somebody w/ wad cutters. The wanted to jail him for the "more dangerous ammo".
LF
Old July 29, 2002, 09:12 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I tried some of the 12 ga flechette shells once.
No pattern, no fin stabilization, no penetration... no good.

On the other hand, a guy brought some of the flame thrower rounds (not on this site, don't know if they are still available) to the range one day and shot them after an IDPA match. They would ignite a slightly frayed paper target at 25 yards. Impressive, they would be a real terror weapon in some circumstances.

But I'll stick to buckshot.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:21 AM   #6
DML

As already said, most of these are junk. Most are also dangerous to you and/or your barrel. Some are not legal in some states.

The "bird bomb" does have a legitimate use. They are used on golf courses and sometimes by farmers to scare birds away. That's why it's called a bird bomb.
Old July 30, 2002, 11:10 AM   #7
Guyon

Looks like a great way to blow up a barrel. Stick with legitimate ammo.