The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 13, 2011, 12:15 PM   #1
nodule

Can these handguns last a lifetime??

Hi,

Im a new member and will be shooting for the first time this week. I have been
doing TONS of on line research and watching TONS of YOU TUBE reveiws and
have narrowed my choices down to two handguns. For the revolvers, I intend
to ONLY shot .38 rounds through them, but will be nice to at least have the
option to load with .357. .357 rounds really dont look like they are too fun
to shot for fun recreational range shooting.

I hope to puchase BOTH a revolver and semi-auto, and be done.

So, my choice for revolver will be:

Ruger GP100 4"
or
S&W 686 4"

Semi auto will be:

Beretta 92FS
or
Beretta PX4 Storm, full size

I am a lefty so these two Berettas will work for lefty shooters.

What are you thoughts on my choices, and if properly cared for, can these
guns really last a lifetime??
These guns will be used for recreational, fun range shooting, as I do not(at
least at this point) to have them setup for home defense.

Thanks!
Old March 13, 2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Don H

Sure, they can last a lifetime with regular maintenance and a moderate amount of firing. A number of members here regularly shoot handguns that are close to or over 100 years old. Certain parts, such as springs, will likely have to be replaced occasionally.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3
HoraceHogsnort

It helps a lot if you are not constantly shooting "boom and thunder" loads.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:03 PM   #4
TailGator

Not a bad handgun among your choices, so pick your favorite in each category. Personally, I think of the Beretta 92 FS as kind of a classic, but maybe the PX4 will become one, too.

Quote:
Chuckle.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Dave Anderson

Handgun life is better measured in rounds fired than in years. When I shot a lot of IPSC matches in the '80s and '90s I generally fired about 25,000 rounds annually and I knew top shooters who fired two or three times as many.

Compared to the rounds fired by a typical handgun owner this might represent five lifetimes of shooting. I have pistols which have fired 75,000+ rounds and are as accurate and dependable as ever. This is not at all remarkable, I know of others with pistols that have fired far more rounds.

I haven't fired a Beretta Storm but have used the others you mentioned, they are all fine, well made handguns. The revolvers you mention are likely the toughest, sturdiest DA revolvers ever made. (Okay, excepting the big frame models such as the Redhawk/Super Redhawk.)

All handguns need maintenance and possibly occasional parts replacement (e.g. recoil springs) at intervals, just as a vehicle needs oil changes and new tires occasionally. Unless you intend to be a serious 1,000 round per week competitor I'd say any of these will last not only your lifetime but probably those of your children and grandchildren as well.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:12 PM   #6
mavracer

good luck wearing out either of the revolvers. But according to most of the sources a Beretta 92 won't last forever this is taken from Wikipedia

Quote:
During this same time and in years since, the U.S. Army conducted durability testing of M9 pistols at Aberdeen Proving Ground. These tests revealed an average life of the M9 frame at around 35,000 rounds, of the M9 locking block at around 22,000 rounds, and of the M9 slide at around 75,000 rounds, all well in excess of the contractually-required service life of 5,000 rounds for the pistol.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old March 13, 2011, 01:14 PM   #7
savit260

I think you'd have a tough time wearing any of the above revolvers out, and still have to do a LOT of shooting to wear the Beretta's out.

If you're going to shoot .38 Specials, there are SO many great options other (and I would say better IMO) than the 686 and GP 100.

I'd seriously consider a nice older used model 15 S&W. One of the finest .38 Specials (along with the Colt Officers Model IMO) revolvers ever made.

To me, a 686 or GP 100 for shooting only 38's is like using a One Ton Dually pickup truck to run across town and haul groceries home. (IMO)
Old March 13, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
overkill0084

If you manage to wear out the revolvers, you will have worked at it. I regularly shoot a Colt double action that is older than I am (I'm 44). I recently replaced the mainspring.
Semi-autos require recoil spring replacements at appropriate intervals as well as perhaps the other odd part, but properly cared for, you will have worked hard to wear them out.
How long anything lasts depends a lot on the care they are given throughout their lifetime. Your choices are well made items that should be heirlooms for a number of generations.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 13, 2011, 01:38 PM   #9
nodule

model 15

Thanks!

Is the S&W Model 15 the replacement for the Model 19?? You may be right
about the Ruger GP100 and 686, if I ONLY intend to shot .38, the Model
15 may be a better choice. Plus I LOVE the look of the model 15.

Are wood grips just as comfortable as rubber grips??

Also, will a blued finish gun wear just as well as a silver gun?? Is there more
maintenance involved with a blued gun?
Old March 13, 2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
To me, a 686 or GP 100 for shooting only 38's is like using a One Ton Dually pickup truck to run across town and haul groceries home. (IMO)
While I agree with you, I doubt he will be able to hold out on the .357 for long.
Of your choices listed, I'd pick the 686.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:40 PM   #11
mec

the ruger is a very strong revolver and more likely to survive extended shooting. Beretta is calling the Storm their strongest pistol and says that at least one example survived 150,000 rounds without problems. It's also a very easy pistol to shoot.
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/
may 2011 issue
Old March 13, 2011, 01:44 PM   #12
nodule

Also forgot to mention.....

I have a friend who is a certified firearms instructor and he tells me he never
shots .357, its just too crazy he says. He says for general range fun shooting,
the .38 is very comfortable and fun to shot and really no need to ever shot
.357 rounds.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:45 PM   #13
huntinaz

Quote:

Chuckle
Ha ha, yeah good luck with that! I had similar inclinations a few years ago. I think all your choices are good ones though.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:47 PM   #14
huntinaz

Quote:
I have a friend who is a certified firearms instructor and he tells me he never
shots .357, its just too crazy he says. He says for general range fun shooting,
the .38 is very comfortable and fun to shot and really no need to ever shot
.357 rounds.
I couldn't disagree more with this though. I love shooting 357, packs a punch and recoil isn't bad at all I don't think. 38's are easier but either of the revolvers you listed are heavy enough to handle 357's without difficulty. I have a GP100 and much prefer 357 in it. I'd buy a box and try it out for yourself, to see what you enjoy.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:51 PM   #15
Paul K

Quote:
Good luck! I said that when I first got into guns. Now I don't know how many I have!
Old March 13, 2011, 01:53 PM   #16
nodule

ok

That interesting, HuntinAZ, I guess I can also try some .357.
But since I really wanna do this right, I plan to first shot with .22, than over
to .38 and perhaps try the .357.

Its funny cause MOST of the YOU TUBE clips I had been watching of guys
firing .357, it seems they are in pain, stressed, not fun and relieved when
they are done shooting.

But again, I really want this new hobby to be fun and I really have NO intention
to have this gun set up for self dense purposes. I live in a VERY area and NEVER
felt i needed a handgun for protection.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Jim March

Three million years from now, a giant upright intelligent cockroach will dig up a GP100 and "bust a cap" in another one that "did him wrong".
Old March 13, 2011, 02:04 PM   #18
huntinaz

Quote:
Its funny cause MOST of the YOU TUBE clips I had been watching of guys
firing .357, it seems they are in pain, stressed, not fun and relieved when
they are done shooting.
You know, I hear about it too and I don't understand it. In my opinion, 357 out of a full size revolver is cake. I shoot them in my SP101 (smaller frame) and yeah they are snappy, but not painful by any strech. I'd rather shoot 357 in my SP101 than 40S&W in a subcompact. It's all relative, I think you are correct to start light and work up, but 357 is a breeze in my opinion. Especially out of a heavy, 4-6" barreled revolver. It doesn't get uncomforatble to me until I get into the 44mag realm. Even then, recoil is something to master, too many people shy away from it instead of embracing it. But that's another topic.

Quote:
Three million years from now, a giant upright intelligent cockroach will dig up a GP100 and "bust a cap" in another one that "did him wrong".
Come on, somebody put this in their sig line
Old March 13, 2011, 02:08 PM   #19
nodule

noise

Will the .357 round be a MUCH louder blast than the .38 round? I have EXCELLENT hearing and was wondering if this new hobby will have risks
of some hearing issues long term?

If I wear the appropriate hearing protection, will this be an issue?

Last edited by nodule; March 13, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:13 PM   #20
huntinaz

Wear hearing protection and you'll be fine. All handguns are loud. I've heard people put ear buds in and then muffs over the top. I usually just use muffs. Your ears will go bad when you get old anyway, may as well have had the pleasure of shooting hanguns to go with it!
Old March 13, 2011, 02:21 PM   #21
Crazy88Fingers

Those are all great guns. You could pick them out of a hat and not go wrong.

I've fired a box of .357 through a 686 before, and I'm not a very experienced shooter. The recoil was considerably greater than my .38 and the boom was LOUD; but it certainly wasn't painful and won't harm your hearing with basic protection. Also consider that .357 ammo is quite a bit more expensive than .38.

On the topic of .38s, there are plenty of great older S&W guns such as the model 15 that will be cheaper than a new 686 and be just as good, if not better, in quality. Check your local pawn shops.

And finally, you don't need to "set up" a gun for home defense. Simply load it and hide it away somewhere. As long as it is stored and handled safely there isn't any risk to having it ready, just in case. Since you're new to it I'd recommend keeping the revolver handy for home use. Of course this is your choice to make, and as you get more comfortable with the gun(s) you can make a better decision.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:51 PM   #22
nodule

safety

Thanks...
Even though im single with no kids, safety will be of the UPMOST importance!
I plan to purchase a small gun safe that I will either recessed in closet wall or
bolt to subfloor.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:54 PM   #23
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Is the S&W Model 15 the replacement for the Model 19??
No, the Model 15 is the "Combat Masterpiece," chambered in .38 Special. The Model 19 is the "Combat Magnum," chambered in .357 Magnum. The two are quite similar, built on the same frame, with the Model 19 being slightly longer in the cylinder and heavier. Both are superbly accurate.

IIWY, I'd get a Model 19. It'll run forever on .38 Specials if properly cared for, and you have the option of using +P .38s or .357 Magnums. It won't last as long as a 686 on a steady diet of .357s though, and I'd be leery of shooting .357 +Ps in it. IIRC, the L frame (686) was developed due to the K frame 19s being just a bit too light for the newer hotter .357 Magnums developed in the latter part of the 20th Century.

As for the semis, a lot of people swear by the Beretta, but I would go with a Sig P-226 for a full-sized battle pistol. Never heard of a Sig slide flying through someone's head!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 13, 2011, 02:55 PM   #24
g.willikers

No one has yet to reply to the obvious.
If a gun will last a lifetime kind of depends on how old you are to begin with.
Raise your hand if you are so old that a zinc framed junker will outlast you.
So, Nodule, how many years of use and abuse do you anticipate putting these through?
Old March 13, 2011, 03:07 PM   #25
nodule

k

Is the S&W Model 19 a current model and if not, is it hard to find a great
condition used model?

Willikers.....

the guns will be used for recreational fun shooting and I guess it depends on
how much fun I have to know how much I will be shooting.

Last edited by nodule; March 13, 2011 at 03:17 PM.