The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 27, 2007, 05:30 AM   #1
SpookBoy

Ever had an accident?

Well folks time to fess up!If you've ever had an accident or unintentional discharge you should post it up,wether your fault or not.Because its helpful for all to know just to know human we are.

So i'll start...About 3 years ago i was moving my win.1300 pistol grip 12 ga.
to another area of my house as it slipped out of my hand,the butt hit the floor and it went off sending a 3in. mag slug screaming past my face. long story short I was left with a muzzle burn across my forehead & a really bruised ego.Since then I'm having a hard time leaving a round chambered.The only reason for a round in the chamber was it was my primary hd gun at the time,also i couldn't hear from my right ear for about a week.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old August 27, 2007, 07:02 AM   #2
jaysouth

Most of us here would call that a NEGLIGENT discharge.

I have never seen or heard of an accidental discharge.
Old August 27, 2007, 07:41 AM   #3
VirgilCaine

I've had 3. All involving rifles.

The first was on a cold november morning easing the hammer forward on a '94 Winchester. I was heading out on a morning stalk and was wearing those brown "Jersey" dollar store gloves...BANG! No damage done. Muzzle was pointed at the ground.

The second time I was shooting my Ruger 96/22 and set it down on a large cooler in my garage still loaded (stupid). The phone rang, I got distracted, did few other things then went to pick up my 22. As I picked it up, my finger went into the trigger guard (stupid) BANG!...shot a hole into a tackle box.

The third time, I was shooting my Remington 510, single shot 22. I had the muzzel pointed toward the ground in front of me, flicked the saftey off ( It engages every time a round is chambered)..BANG! No harm done. Malfunction with the saftey and bolt.

So, 2 out of the three, Having my finger on or near the trigger caused the discharge.

Luckily, I was alone each time. The only thing hurt was my pride, and a few Rapala bass baits.

I learned, however, to keep my damn finger off of the trigger (duh!), and always mind your muzzle, because it might not be a trigger pull that causes the discharge. Also, no matter how comfortable, or at ease , or familiar we become with firearms...well... you folks know the rest.
Old August 27, 2007, 07:59 AM   #4
john paul

only had one

lowering the hammer on an old .410 single shot when my thumb slipped. luckily pointed at the ground away from everyone. we were about 11 or 12 and camping. scary!
Old August 27, 2007, 08:00 AM   #5
mattro

There is no such thing as an accidental discharge.

Unintentionally discharging your weapon is too serious to be called an accident. If it happens, you are not following the 4 safety rules, and that is negligence.

I think it is important to call it what it is, a negligent discharge (ND).

Accidents don't happen with guns, negligence happens.
Old August 27, 2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Tanzer

Don't know if this fits but....
Just got back from our summer home - 42 acres in the mountains of Maine. While up there, my brother-in-law came to visit. While shooting on my property, he allowed his 20 year old son to use his old 30-30 while he loaded his 357 Mag. Anyhow, my nephew got his hands on the 357 cartriges. He had loaded two and I saw him putting the second one in. It was like I was caught in slow motion; J e r r y ! N O O ! - but I was too late. He discharged one before I managed to come up behind him. The funny thing is, it went off without a hitch. Then he got embarrassed and tried to say that the one he shot was a 30-30. We later saw the case had been blown into an oval.
My bad- it was my property and I shouldn't have trusted that my brother-in-law would pay attention or that he knew his son's abilities. He had been trap shooting with us before, but he didn't know rifles. Luckily, we were careful enough to only have one person firing at a time and eveyone else was behind him.
The gun seemed none the worse for wear, but there was a "father-son" issue for a few minutes afterwards.
Old August 27, 2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Yep, I'm guilty of an ND

It was my first year to go dove hunting and I was using an old single shot 12 gauge shotgun. Out of no where some birds flew over and all 3 of us raised our shotguns to shoot. Well I was too late raising my gun so I did not get a shot off. Having my gun pointed away from everyone in a safe direction I went to put the hammer down and KABOOM. It scared the crap out of all of us and really bruised my hand as I did not have the shotgun against my shoulder, more like waist level and I had my finger inside the trigger guard.

Needless to say, I went to town that day and bought a Mossy 500 cause I didn't like dropping the hammer after that.

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old August 27, 2007, 11:59 AM   #8
bcrash15

As far as an ND, I haven't. An accident, or rather an "incident" caused by stupidity, unfortunately yes. I must have been 12 or so, and I was out shooting with my dad. He was shooting his .30-30 and I had an old falling block .22 just plinking around. I saw a really weird patch of dried mud about 15 feet in front of me, so I without thinking about it just raised the gun and shot it. Nailed it dead center, but there just happened to be a rock under it, and the bullet (I'm guess a small fragment of) ricocheted into my forehead. It wasn't a big wound, just a scape and later a small bruise, my dad didn't even notice, but it sure got my attention. Gained a great deal of respect for firearms that day.
Old August 27, 2007, 12:14 PM   #9
kellyj00

dropped the hammer, very slowly, on a taurus pt in 40 cal when I first started shooting. the bullet went down range, and probably got close enough to the target that nobody would have noticed.

Taurus really should put a decocker on those pt pistols. ;-) Being so new to the sport, I didn't know any better.
Old August 27, 2007, 12:33 PM   #10
mattro

Had an ND a couple years ago. Prior to training and REALLY learnin the 4 safety rules.

I started working with an odler guy that was extremely knowledgable of handgun sd training. He didn't care for my Sig P220 45 DA/SA with decocker. He said it did not lend itself to quick accurate shooting like a 1911. Poor first shot, poor trigger, etc.

I was very defensive about this. One day out shooting, I shot 3 or 4 rounds, decocked the gun with decocker, thought about how crazy the old man was about not likeing a sa/da. Then, as I was walking back to my vehicle, lavishing my double action, I squeezed a da trigger pull clowning around (not thinking) and BAM. I was sick and grateful.

Blew a very large hole in the ground about 1 foot from my right foot.

Since then, got rid of the P220, and love my 1911. He was right. (imo)
Old August 27, 2007, 01:13 PM   #11
MyXD40

Not once with me. I'm the perfect angel! ..who plays with his gun a lot!! lol
Old August 27, 2007, 03:57 PM   #12
markj

I was hunting with a guy that just bought a used remington model 11. He used it all day, finally we was going into another field he loaded it and let the action go, the gun went off. I looked at his shells, some had little dents in them from this action, gun needs work I said. He put it up and got his 870 out. Havent seen him with it since.

Dad had a winchester model 97, had a hammer. One day we was out hunting, he hit a corn stalk with it more of a bump. it went off. Got him a new gun.

Be careful when you see a "deal", it may kill ya or someone else. I try to avoid used now.
Old August 27, 2007, 04:45 PM   #13
Diesel1

And out popped a shell.

Not a negligent discharge, but certainly the potential for one. I was out duck hunting in my kayak all morning. I thought that I unloaded my Remington 870 when I finished hunting. I racked the pump to open the chamber to clean it a few hours later and out popped a nice green 3 inch magnum. That one incident taught me more about gun safety than just about anything else. I check, and check again. Had my finger been on the trigger and the safety off, I would have had to explain to my Father why he had a new skylight.
Old August 27, 2007, 05:12 PM   #14
Edward429451

I had a PD (premature discharge) at the range with my 1895G the first time out with the new happy trigger installed in it. It was pointed downrange and I was preparing to shoot it, so it wasn't really negligent. Just a light trigger that I wasn't used to yet.
Old August 27, 2007, 07:10 PM   #15
PT111

So close that I almost had to change my pants. I was cleaning my 30-30 and a western came on the TV. I decided to shoot the bad guy and held my finger over the trigger but finally thought better and decided against it. Racked the lever, a shell popped out and my heart stopped. I almost killed my TV and wall. I would have determined if a 30-30 bullet would go through a brick wall or not and how much my wife loved me.
Old August 27, 2007, 09:34 PM   #16
Marcelo

I took a friend the range years ago. I took the taurus PT92 and PT940.
... once the first box of .40 was empty my frien said me he was going to open a new box and load the mag. idiot me I did not pay attention to that. He put the mag in the PT940, shot but the pistol did not recoil.... after a hard work we made the pistol work again and we realized he had shot a 9mm bullet with the .40 caliber pistol.
We were lucky!!!

Marcelo
Old August 27, 2007, 09:37 PM   #17
mountainclmbr

Never in almost 40 years of gun handling.
Old August 27, 2007, 09:39 PM   #18
DonR101395

Not yet, but I'm waiting and won't rag on those who have had one. It only takes a split second of distraction, something I try to avoid. I've been present when others have had them.
Old August 27, 2007, 09:44 PM   #19
Gunner69

Quote:
There is no such thing as an accidental discharge.

Unintentionally discharging your weapon is too serious to be called an accident. If it happens, you are not following the 4 safety rules, and that is negligence.

I think it is important to call it what it is, a negligent discharge (ND).

Accidents don't happen with guns, negligence happens.
I'll call BS on that because I have had an AD in one of my 1911's while chambering a round... was the result of a broken firing pin that was protruding from the breech face... Had ZERO to due with negligence because it was during an IPSC match and the thing had been funtioning flawlessly all night 2nd to last stage..Load and Make Ready command was given draw weapon insert clip drop slide and BANG... 200gr SWC going into the floor... Scared the bejesus out of me the range officer.. and the 6 guys behind me... Had a safety stand down while we figured out what happened because the RO was standing behind and too my right and saw that my finger was no where near the trigger... pistoil; went to the GS and I finished the match with a loaner form the range desk.
Old August 28, 2007, 08:45 AM   #20
blenderhead

Accident or mechanical failure?

I have a glock 27. In reading the owner's manual (everyone has done that, right?) it pretty clearly says that when a round is chambered the gun is half cocked. Ok, half cock for a SA revolver gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I'm not sure that half cocked gives me quite the same warm and fuzzy feeling if the G27 is in a pocket holster with the business end pointing in the general direction of vital parts. Don't get me wrong. I'm really careful keeping the "booger hook off the bang switch," but I'm a little worried that there is enough energy stored up in the half cocked mechanism to set off the primer if whatever is holding back the firing pin fails. Am I just a little too crazy here? Have there been discharges that were not ND but mechanically caused?
Old August 28, 2007, 08:59 AM   #21
mattro

Several leo's in Indianapolis PD have unintentionally fired a round by pulling their Glock out of pants pockets (sweat pants) or not being careful pulling out of a holster. I consider this an ND

IMO, Glocks are unsafe. There are much safer tupperware guns available.

But, I have never heard of a Glock going off by iteself, or due to being dropped.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:51 AM   #22
Epyon

Alright, I'll fess up...

This has happened fairly recently, and I hope this will be the only time ever. My best friend and I were chatting with his grandfather about firearms, and he showed us his nice collection in his room, one of them included a WW2 Nazi issued Walther PP, it even had the insignia on the reciever and slide. Up until I was shown that pistol we were dry firing after observing safety by pointing in a direction away from people and making sure there were no rounds in the chamber. Well with this particular pistol being almost 60 years old, my friend double checked the chamber and saw all the way down to where the magazine would be. I triple checked and saw all the way down to where the magazine would be as well. As I brought the pistol up to aim at a wall, I pulled the trigger and suddenly... POP! In an instant my ears were ringing for a few seconds, and everything felt a little unreal, my friend's dad and dad's g/f ran into the room to see what was going on. At that point we all put the guns away. Moral of the story, always do a physical check not just visual, feel for any rounds stuck in the slide this is especially true for older pistols. Needless to say, I'm a lot more careful now with pistols than ever before. Luckily no one was hurt, and there was a small clean cut hole in the wall I shot into; merely inches away from hitting a halogen lamp. All things aside no one was hurt because we were all pointing in a safe direction.

We later joked that the Nazis got their revenge because a non-white fired the pistol. Needless to say Walther makes a fairly accurate pistol indeed. So remember folks, always always ALWAYS do a physical check on your pistols.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old August 28, 2007, 10:28 AM   #23
mattro

Quote:
Luckily no one was hurt, and there was a small clean cut hole in the wall I shot into
The beauty of these 4 safety rules is that if you follow at least 3 of the 4, no one can be hurt (at least no one that shouldn't)

Last edited by mattro; August 28, 2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old August 28, 2007, 11:52 AM   #24
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
I think it happens a lot!

Local Police Chief with combat experience in Vietnam + 24 years as a State Trooper put a round into the ceiling in his office at the station.

I was at the range when another veteran LEO was teaching his 14 year old how to operate a model 94, .30-.30 bam! A hole in the roof!

I put several holes in my house with one round out of a .25-06. I was running the rounds through the mag to be sure they would feed. I still do not know why the round fired... no apparent malfunction and I always keep my finger off the trigger.

It happens and if it hasn't happened to you, don't become complacent or it will!
Old August 28, 2007, 12:11 PM   #25
BikerRN

Title

I saw the title and thought you were referring to "toilet issues".

"Potty Training" it's wonderful stuff.

Biker