The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Wheel-Gunner

Now that the new S&W Polymer M&P has been out for a while....

What is the general opinion regarding these pistols?? By now I'm sure many have shot this gun and have certainly formed an opinion on how this gun stacks up against other polymers.

Providing your experiences and opnions would be a great help! Has the hinged trigger been a problem at all?

Thanks guys!
Old November 6, 2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Troy26

I don't know if it's true or not, but someone on here made the statement that you didn't have to push that little spring/lever down to dissassemble the gun. If that's accurate, I might give the M&P another look. Otherwise, I refuse to buy a gun that requires a tool to take apart..even if the tool's stored in teh gun.
Old November 7, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Impreza

Yea that was me...you can do it either way.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=384
Old November 7, 2006, 01:36 AM   #4
IM_Lugger

I‘ve never fired one but;

I’ve read that the trigger has quite a bit of over travel that negatively effect the accuracy (less accurate than Glock or XD). And magazine safety is something most people (incl. me) can do without.

Also I don’t think they are as reliable as some other guns at least with reloads; I’ve read on the other forum posts made by a guy who owned one and couldn’t get his M&P to work right with reloads... he ending up selling it.

I was thinking of getting one a while ago but will have to pass.
Old November 7, 2006, 02:14 AM   #5
Logs

I have a Glock 26 & 21, XD 9, USP 9 and now the M&P 9mm. They all shoot really well and I have no complaints about any of them.

I like the M&P's option for different grips, I went with the large myself. I have put several hundred rounds through the M&P and no malfunctions. Taking it apart and cleaning it is EASY. For $369.99 it is one nice firearm. (www.budsgunshop.com). Time will tell if it is as durable as the ole Glock.
Old November 7, 2006, 04:15 AM   #6
Hotdog1911

No experience with a M&P, but...

Not knowing what I'm talking about never stopped me form letting everyone know my opinion.

I saw the M&P on the Shooting Sports T.V. program. The concept sounds good. But not me. Not yet. Not unless I have to. I'm not that broke, yet.

I know what Glocks do, I know what Sigs do. Berettas, H&K's, all have established records. M&P's don't. Smith centerfire autos in general do not.

Smith is in some kind of uphill battle with someone or something. In the mean time these Euro pistolas are taking away alot of market share from them.

Smith is dragging in its reputation for good revolvers in an semi auto arena, and the crowd just isn't buying it. Not yet. If it turns out the M&P is a good value well than great. You can't keep a secret like that. When that happens sign me up for one.

Until then...let me give you a tip on a pony running in the 5th at Saratoga.
Old November 7, 2006, 04:28 AM   #7
Impreza

Most of them come without magazine safety and internal lock.
Old November 7, 2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Tom B

I have owned the M&P 9mm for several months now. Its a great pistol. I am a Glock fan but the M&P feels and shoots a little better for me. The only problem I have had was during the first range visit when I loaded the mag with the full 17rds and racked the first round by hand twice the round nose dived and jammed into the feedramp. I polished the feedramp and have had no more problems. The trigger has gotten much better with use. Mine has the mag safety but no lock.
Old November 7, 2006, 06:53 AM   #9
Bill T

S&W and auto pistols have never mixed very well. It's not the S&W's are "bad", it's the fact that everyone else builds them better, and more trouble free. Their Model 41 and 52 are works of art, but their Polymer pistols like the Sigma have been sort of a bust. Perhaps with new corporate ownership this will change with the M&P Models, but why take a chance when there are so many better ones out there to choose from? Bill T.
Old November 7, 2006, 01:57 PM   #10
IM_Lugger

Quote:
Most of them come without magazine safety and internal lock.
you can get one w/o the internal lock but IIRC the all have the magazine safety
Old November 7, 2006, 02:32 PM   #11
tydephan

No. They offer models that do not have the ILS AND the Magazine safety. I know. I have one.

9mm M&P Pistols (per smith-wesson.com)
209001: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
109001: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
209201: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
109201: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
209301: 17 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
109301: 10 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00

209401: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00
109401: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00
209601: 17 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00
109601: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00

I have the 209301.

Personally, I think this pistol is a real winner. I've had mine for about a month. I have only put about 200 rounds through it.

IMHO, it is better than Glock (I have G22 and G26) in the following ways:
  • The standard sites are better.
  • The ambi slide release and magazine release are fantastic for lefties like me.
  • The ergonomics (swappable palm swells) are better.

The take-down procedure is uber-easy. It is as easy, for me, as the Glock.

The only hesitance I have regarding this pistol, when compared to Glock is the lack of any type of publicized torture test. This doesn't particularly concern me greatly, as I don't plan on dragging mine through the mud, throwing it out of a plane, or submerging it in alien goo during a firefight. But it would be nice to see.

The hinged trigger felt slightly strange when I first shot it. But I quickly settled into the feel of it and it hasn't even crossed my mind since. To me, it was about as odd as the first time I shot the Glock with the in-set trigger safety.

Overall - It fits well in my hand and I shoot well with it. I have had no FTE or FTF during my first month with the firearm.

What more can you ask for?

p.s. I'm not getting rid of my Glocks though!
Old November 7, 2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Wheel-Gunner

Well, after reading this, I don't think I'll be getting an M&P. I agree with the comment saying why get an M&P, which may be a decent gun, when there are so many others that are probably better.

I am interested in getting a compact polymer, and S&W are making a compact M&P. This was tempting, but I think I may stick to my original plan and get the sub-compact XD.
Old November 7, 2006, 05:21 PM   #13
dave0520

Quote:
I know what Glocks do, I know what Sigs do. Berettas, H&K's, all have established records. M&P's don't. Smith centerfire autos in general do not.
Many Smith and Wesson owners would disagree with that statement. My uncle has a 4506 and it shoots as well as any other .45 I have used, and I have spoken to many satisfied owners of 5906's. Heavy, yes, but they are reliable and accurate.
Old November 7, 2006, 05:42 PM   #14
hollowpointt

replys

Keep em commin I have a M&P on hold for three more days at Gander Mountain then I will have to decide. Gun shops in the area have said very good things about it. The indoor range in town that is owned by police officers said they have started to carry them.
Old November 7, 2006, 07:46 PM   #15
pogo2

S&W centerfire auto record

Hotdog1911 said:

"I know what Glocks do, I know what Sigs do. Berettas, H&K's, all have established records. M&P's don't. Smith centerfire autos in general do not."

Smith centerfire autos have been available on the US market since the 1960's, longer than most other brands. I have a S&W model 39 that I bought new in 1968 and have been shooting for 38 years without a problem. I'd call that an established record. Here it is:
Old November 7, 2006, 08:29 PM   #16
Pistolman1974

A close relative bought an M&P 9 and I had the opportunity to shoot it quite a bit. Its a good gun, I'll be buying one myslef when I can.
Old November 8, 2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Pud

My .02 cents.....

I did some SERIOUS shopping for a new pistol(in 9mm).
Looked at just about everything, and read every scrap of info I could find online...whew!

Ended up getting a new M&P9...and it seems to be a excellent firearm.
Honestly cannot state how it's "long term" reliability, and quality will be, but I believe it will do well. Ask me in 20 years...

It really is a pistol I am very happy with, and am confident of my decision.
Isn't that what really matters?

Pud
Old November 11, 2006, 09:33 PM   #18
Hotdog1911

Hello PUD and POGO2,

PUD, I don't recall anyone on the boards helping you make the money needed to buy a pistol; and you convinced yourself thru the available information out there that you made the correct decision on the M&P. Good. I hope you are right. America needs more Americans out there buying guns & ammo and having a good time.

Please keep us informed on the M&P's performance. I look forward to recommending guns with multiple droves of satisfied customers who have had many years and thousands of rounds of uninterrupeted years of reliable service. Remember, guns don't need someone eles' opinion to perform properly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

As for Mr. POGO2, thank you pointing-out the exception to the rule regarding centerfire Smith autos. S&W Representatives that I've spoken too have assured me that the QC on their current models is a bit higher than they were previously. That being the case, hopefully PUD will get as many years of service from his M&P has you have already had with your 39. And still counting, yes?

A 1968 S&W 9mm auto still in regular service is news. Good news in fact. I'm impressed. But I wouldn't write home to the folks about seeing Colt 1911s, Walthers, Browning Hi-Powers, S&W and Colt revolvers, (circa 1960's, or earlier), blasting away today on the local ranges.
Old November 11, 2006, 09:37 PM   #19
UH1-D Rotorhead

Though I'm not a fan....

....for those who are interested, Bud's Gun Shp sells them for $369.00

www.budsgunshop.com
Old November 11, 2006, 10:17 PM   #20
18DAI

While I have no enthusiasm for the M&P, I strongly disagree with the idea that S&W semi auto's don't have an established record. The most trouble free semi auto's I own are S&W 3rd generation pistols. I own HK's, Sig, Colt, Beretta, and a Kimber. My S&W's are equal to the HK's in reliability, and more reliable than all the rest. My 3913 is the most reliable semi auto I own. If it simply graced the cover of a gunrag, there would be thread after thread of folks singing it's praises. When I'm carrying at work, the 3913 is my BUG.

The 4013 I bought yesterday, and tested today, will be my duty carry, as soon as I qualify with it next week. It's replacing an HK USPF 40. Yes, I'm serious. I find that while it's good sport to bad mouth S&W semi auto's on the internet, there are alot of guys, who like me, carry them for serious into really lousy places.

The 2nd generation S&W semi auto's had some teething issues, IIRC they overcame them, and were adopted by many Law Enforcement agencies. The Sigma was a poor pistol, IMHO. The latest Sigma bears only cosmetic resemblance to it, and is being furnished to foriegn Army/Police units.

My agency T&E'd the M&P 40. I didn't care for it. I found it to be less accurate than other pistols, and we laughed about the "tool" used to disengage the yellow paper clip looking sear release. Too bad the didn't make a scandium framed 4506. There's a pistol alot of agencies would have bought. I find that folks that disparage all S&W semi auto's, uniformly have no experience with them. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.
Old November 11, 2006, 10:57 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

M&p

All I have heard is good, from someone who shoots a lot of guns (works at gun shop), and is thus in a position to know - he bought one.
Old November 12, 2006, 12:47 PM   #22
Excalibur

I have one and can honestly say it is a gun that I don't think I will ever 'love'. It feels great in the hand and points very well but there is 'something' that I haven't been able to pin down that makes it only a so-so gun.

A shop I was in had one and he said he marked it down to cost and still hasn't sold it in 4 months so it would probably go back to the distributor.

It's one of those love or apathy guns that you wont know which until after you own it.
Old November 12, 2006, 09:53 PM   #23
K96771

For what it's worth, my 5906 has never presented me with any problems and performs flawlessly. We S&W people have actually learned to appreciate the badmouthing. It keeps the prices down and we're able to get some great bargains!