The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 24, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Bill Siegle

Picked upa RIA Compact today for myself

More than a little happy with my purchase. Got a nib Rock Island Armory compact(Officer's size) 45ACP. Went out a few days ago looking for a 1911 type gun and saw the RIA line up. Looked good but I wasn't too sure of em. Checked out more than a few sites and they have a pretty decent rep so I snagged one. Great little gun! I upgraded the grip to a Hogue wrap around right off the bat. Since it only came with 1 Novak mag, I also bought a Wilson 7 rounder while at the gun store. Dealer gave me a nice break on the grip and mag too. Went up to the indoor range after the wife got home and ran 100 rounds of Blazer 230 grn ball and 25 rounds of Golden Saber hollow points through it. Great little shooter! Ran 100% with no issues whatsoever. I was impressed with the construction of the guns I saw. Sure they aren't Baers or Wilsons but for the money they are nice. Accuracy wise the gun is quite nice. I was getting 2-3inch groups @ 50ft and I am sure the gun could do better in someone else's hand or off a bench. If you are looking for a shooter grade gun I higly recomend the RIA.
Old December 25, 2007, 04:15 AM   #2
chris in va

Nice. If I were to look for a 1911, it would be a RIA or Taurus. Not that I'm knowledgeable of the platform, but it seems to me a little 'slop' is necessary for these to function properly, and that's what I'd look for.

Congrats! Leave the mechanicals alone, sounds like a great gun.
Old December 25, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Magyar

Quote:
Ran 100% with no issues whatsoever.
Kudos on your purchase....Good thing you had positive results on the range or all the RIA bashers would be "licking their chops".
Being a LLAMA owner, I ought to know....
Old December 25, 2007, 09:04 AM   #4
joab

Quote:
Good thing you had positive results on the range or all the RIA bashers would be "licking their chops
".Give 'em some time
Old December 25, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Waldo Pepper

Here is my RIA Tactical, with IWB Clip-On that works beautifully all for about $420 OTD and it is a tack driver for a compact. I made guy with a SA MicroLight in 9mm(?) really look bad, I had no jams like him. Not to mention I out shoot him with ease.

RIA with my pide and joy go every where I go S&W 642 (15oz vs 30oz) that is also a real shooter.

Old December 25, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6
kristop64089

Waldo, Judgin by your name I'd guess you live in the Waldo district. Where did you find your RIA commander?
Old December 25, 2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Waldo Pepper

To be honest I am not sure now, I bought it about a year ago. It was one of the internet sales places, if it's important I can look it up.