The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2019, 04:10 AM   #1
Nathan

Anybody loading 458 Lott?

What do you recommend? Powders, tips, tricks, loads?

I’m looking to start with some light 300gr loads and work my way into 500 gr stopping rounds!

What dies are you using? How are you trimming?
Old November 28, 2019, 08:30 AM   #2
Nathan

I’ll add a tip....Load development for a DG class round is a lot different than for a 7mm mag or something. The recoil is unbelievable! With moderate loads, I can shoot 10 shots in a session! Shooting is done standing up. I need to try the lead sled!

I find myself focused on confirming recoil, case pressure signs and bolt lift. I really don’t want to have noticeable bolt lift because in the field, I’ll be lifting it when something is charging! I will confirm velocities next.

Once I get past the recoil shock, I’ll need to work on groups....although minute of Buffalo is kind of the purpose here!
Old November 28, 2019, 02:53 PM   #3
std7mag

Unfortunately i live/hunt in PA.
But even if i do eventually get to move to WY, i still would have no need for a DGS gun of that caliber.
Largest i'm shooting now is 7mm Rem Mag.
Largest i would want to shoot is 7mm Dakota.
I guess i value my shoulder too much.

Ditch the lead sled! Only serves to create bad habits!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 29, 2019, 10:24 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Something that may never apply if you don't go on safari. but take a look at the pressures of the "classic" DGR rounds from the big hunting era. Comparatively low to allow for the increase when the ammo spends time in the 100+ degree tropical heat. One of he last things you want in a DGR is a stuck case due to high pressure caused by the high temps found where the elephant rifle is most commonly used.

So if you're working up to top end loads, do so in hot weather. You'll get a bit less in the cold but you'll be safe in the heat.